Wear those chaps people

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was me last week. 550 XP Mk II with an 18" bar.

Was clearing out an old cellar hole on my property with really poor footing. Going fast, getting rid of the small stuff. Just got a couple more little trees, let off the throttle shifted my leg and bit myself. Just a little nibble and super lucky.

I'd call that my personal wake up call.

Oops 1.jpg

Oops 2.jpg

Lucky @quahog
Your chain seems dull, luckily.

We have all been there. Add on a boot for me. Lost one while splitting a stump in half underground. The saw jumped out by climbing up off the nose and ran over my boot right behind the steel toe. Note to self never use a 90+ cc saw to split stumps. Just nicked my foot. Switched to a 60cc saw immediately after. Most people could avoid saw control injuries with a smaller saw and a shorter bar I do believe. My foot was in the wrong place with a fresh chain.

Glad we got off easy.

Lucky @quahog
Your chain seems dull, luckily.

Glad we got off easy.

Yep, had been working for over an hour and had been cutting a few stumps off right at the ground. Certainly wasn't a fresh chain. That and the fact that the chain barely kissed me with me letting off the throttle saved me some trouble. I do have a tourniquet in my truck, but have no desire to use it.

Here's to luck and doing it better the next time.

I would add, use hearing protection, too. The effects of high noise are not as immediate or dramatic as a saw cut, but serious hearing loss can make life very in convenient.
As well has head protection i had a larger limb came down unexpectedly and hit me in head and knock me out know this past Friday now I am dealing with a concussion

As well has head protection i had a larger limb came down unexpectedly and hit me in head and knock me out know this past Friday now I am dealing with a concussion
That sucks getting whacked. Never got hit but once climbing when the top of pine tree just shattered.

Feel better soon

What was it deadwood ,how big a piece? Take it easy with a concussion too. Were you alone when it happened?
No it was a live branch about 10 inches in diameter about 20 ft long to the end
Yes a I was cutting by myself when I came to I was on ground and my polesaw was on ground next to me

Are you off balance and dizzy and all?
Some but not all the time being sick to my stomach has been the worst thing but I have still been cutting and clearing some
I got a old trailer house set on family property and I am clearing and cleaning up around plus getting wood ready for this winter to burn and maybe sale if I have enough time for that between fixin trailer to be lived in and helping out my parents

Some but not all the time being sick to my stomach has been the worst thing but I have still been cutting and clearing some
I got a old trailer house set on family property and I am clearing and cleaning up around plus getting wood ready for this winter to burn and maybe sale if I have enough time for that between fixin trailer to be lived in and helping out my parents
Take it easy man dont work too hard.

Back