Wear your chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Close call today, i got in a hurry and got my leg, stupid mistake but at least i had my chaps on, the labonvilles saved me from a hospital visit.
ugyje6ut.jpg
jeguqu7y.jpg

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

I don't know if i should have them patched and sewed or buy a new pair.

Replace them if you whack them hard. I've blown out one pair when fatigued from cutting at the end of a long day. And just today, chain came off my husky and put a 1" cut in my current pair.
I always wear them. Words to the wise, from someone not so wise. ;))

Definitely replace them, a good hit should cause the fibers to unravel, it's what the chaps are designed to do.

This means in addition to less material where you hit, there is less material above and below the the cut the whole length of the chap, and on either side, the whole width of the chap.

Close call today, i got in a hurry and got my leg, stupid mistake but at least i had my chaps on, the labonvilles saved me from a hospital visit.
ugyje6ut.jpg
jeguqu7y.jpg

You did your family a favor by putting on those chaps. Good work.

My friends think they are really tough and make fun of me for wearing chaps. Then one of them almost cut his leg off. Now the they are all looking to buy a pair. Legs are cool. I enjoy having them.

I tell my tough guy buddies I won't work with them on my land unless they wear chaps. I tell them I don't want their blood in my truck when I have to drive them to the hospital.

Good reminder, they are the best protection money can buy along with some hearing protection
Huh? Did you say sumthin? Speak up, we're all deaf over here. Something about chaps. I gotta pair of chaps. All cut up real nice. evidently didn't learn much the first time I nipped them. The second time was just a real dumb maneuver. The third and last time I was jus' a taken a step... oops.
Ordered a new pair with full intention of not needing them. They get worn almost all the time I am cuttin'

Always wear your Protective Kit..
Did you forget to apply the Chainsaw Brake after cutting?

Always wear your Protective Kit..
Did you forget to apply the Chainsaw Brake after cutting?

I was cutting thru a big log and there was some small brush in my way so i pulled the saw out and grabbed the brush with my right hand while holding the saw in my left, like i said i was rushing it, won't do that again.

I was cutting thru a big log and there was some small brush in my way so i pulled the saw out and grabbed the brush with my right hand while holding the saw in my left, like i said i was rushing it, won't do that again.

Wow. Can not tell you how many times I have done the same thing. I have never been cut yet though. Your picture is a very chilling reminder of what could happen.

AS taught me the validity of PPE/chaps right after I joined. Of course at the time I joined AS i was using an electric chainsaw - yeah, dumb idea I now know. Interesting fact of using an electric chainsaw - chaps won't stop an electric saw. I dumped the electric.

Wow windthrown and now Wife'n hubby! It's a reunion of sorts.

Back on topic. I must cut too slow or something. I've yet to cut my chaps and I will try to keep it that way. Try to remember where your bar is, and maybe slow down. That'll save you from having to buy another pair of chaps. It isn't a badge of honor to have slashed up chaps, in fact, I saw a saw get taken away from a young man after he had cut his chaps, with the boss saying, "You aren't ready for this job yet." And back to the brush he was sent.

Back