Web Sites

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeypuzzle

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Guys, I'm not much on the computer planet but have been thinking of building one. No, I'm like RJS and would rather pay someone to do it other than myself. I'd have a f**k up on my hands.:(

I have a buddy thats into the web building but I can't find him. What kind of $$$$ are we talking?

Do you pay a builder(designer) plus a server once a month?

Who do I pay? I am truly lost.

I will not launch a site until I'm am a cert. arborist, sometime next spring. Thanks,- MP

I pay nothing for the webmaster.

85.00 for five year domain registration.
9.95 month for the server or hosting I believe.

How serious of a sight are you looking for? just some pages with pics... my wife can build you one .... is wouldnt charge you much either... heres her site she made.

www.ask-jesus.org

MP,
Funny you asked. About an hour ago my step father and I were surfing the net for do it yourself web pages. We found two, but I haven't had time to really look at them yet. They were. . .
www.angelfire.com
www.xanga.com
I guess they walk you through it step by step and provide clip art and Icons etc., etc.
I'm gonna check it out just for the heck of it. Don't have enough credentials to impress anyone yet but I would like to have something simple.

-Mike-

home made sites

i have created a website for a mountainboard club that i helped start up, the webiste is being redesigned to make it smoother, and esaier to navigate but check out the old one here

as for prices i can only give you UK prices

www.northernfaceatb.co.uk/index.htm

i created it in Microsoft front page which is easy to use its not the most powerful software but its easy to use and works.

if you are releasing it in the spring play around with it and take your time.....you can do it

jamie

Buy Frontpage and do it yourself it's worth it! My computer knowledge is very small and I did it, www.ppmlandscapes.com I actually just changed my biz name and need to update and I can't remember how! Winter project:D
Before I made mine I decided I couldn't do it and checked about 15-20 different sources to make me one, local and on the web. Checked sites they had done and pricing went from not too bad for a crappy job to obscene for a crappy job. I'm not saying mine is the best and I know it looks home made but it works and I get a lot of hits and jobs from it, should be better if I ever update it!
It's not as bad as you think, actually kinda fun once you get past the part where you want to punch yourself in the nuts.
Don't go with free sites, very chessy looking with popups and you have to use their site address at the front of your name, Buy your own domain, I tihnk I paid around $100 for the domain name?, $7 or 8/mth for hosting at www.winsave.com

I do all my own publishing.

The website itself costs me $8 a month, $10 per year for the domain.

Anybody else using Dreamweaver?

From what I've experienced, and what I read, there may be enough to the web thing to make it worth hiring. Its not a matter of whether you can use a web page program, its a matter of how much you use certain phrases on the right pages. Too many occurrances can get penalties by search engines.

If you could care less about searches, and all you want is a site for people to manually enter in from an ad or business care, that's a different story.

Our son did his own, I think www.clearersolutions.com and he said that it wasn't so much the web page design that was challenging, as getting it plugged into the system. And he is computer wise.

Try emailing www.treetools.com and ask for their webmaster - ask for a basic price. They are happy with their webmaster, just I already had one.

It's a blend of skills and taste. Skills in knowing how to make it. Taste in knowing how to make it look.

~Initial grab so they don't click away
~Too "busy" and bouncy and no one will stick around
~Genuine content so they come back

Then knowing what colors go together, to never use more than 3 fonts per page, to have each page look homogeneous so you don't re-orient yourself on every page, etc.

Cliff Notes: Not everyone can make a good website.

Nickrosis is "laying rubber" gettin' around the site today!!

That's a positive comment by the way.

Hey, I noticed your post signature. I suppose in the desert where there are no trees, they say every child should have a sandbox to play in. (I sure am glad I live near trees).

On this website thing. I wish I had learned to do my own even if some mistakes would be made. I like constructing things and designing. I enjoy writing things.

Even webmasters had to learn and do a first website.

My spare time comes but a couple times a year.

My comments were balance the message in the thread. We would all tell someone to hire an arborist instead of trimming a branch on a tree in the front yard, but you might find one of us tiling our own bathroom or cleaning our own gutters.

If you want it done well, get help. If you just want a floor or you just want the gutters to flow and you have the time - do it yourself. It's a great learning experience. I made a lot of mistakes (and I still do) along the way, but it's all part of the process.

This is my first site ever: http://users.aol.com/treesurge/ctl.html
Later to become: http://www.crawfordtree.com
Then I progressed to: http://www.uwsp.edu/stuorg/ssa/

Now, I'm less involved in making sites directly, but I'm overseeing projects. http://www.uwsp.edu/stuorg/sga/inside_sga/who.shtml

My favorite (made it in a couple hours): http://students.uwsp.edu/ncraw045/

My most recent undertaking: http://www.waa-isa.org

There's dozens more, but it's true. You live and learn.

Nickrosis

Nick C.: I went through the Crawford Co.'s website. I spent more time there than expected. Good site.

Joe

Latest posts

Back