wedge to lever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burlman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
after along read on all aspects of wedging ( thanks for the big breasted break) have any of you tried these felling levers. I do carry wedges usually to shim my pants to my skinny butt, but I tried these levers and I was really impressed with what you can topple with these little wonders. I bought a sthil, I think it is 30 in long. The little built in cant hook is handy too, you can usually spin a spruce or cedar lodger down with it. It is not the answer for every tree but it sure gets you out of alot of jambs.

I've never used a lever for felling, so I won't knock it.
I have had to carry a shovel durring "Hoot Owl" (fire season), I know that's a PITA.
I think wedges would be easier to carry around, but that's just what I'm used to.

Andy

I sometimes carry a pulaski I guess you can use the hoe end to pry trees over that way you have a axe and a pry

With smaller trees I think the felling levers probably are good, but if you get into bigger trees a 5ft lever isn't going to get you very far :laugh:
Wedges will let you persuade much bigger trees.

Cheers

Ian

What happens when you lever one over but cant quite get it to go?
I usually rock the tree....:dizzy: But I use my lever for smaller cedars where the cant hook comes in very handy to spin the trees down.
The wedge part is about 2" long and the handle is about 30" so you can apply 2000 or 3000lbs of force which is pretty good for a 10" tree, not so much with a 24"dbh maple leaning back a bit...

Somebody that was thinking would design one you could hammer a wedge with too, but I've never seen one like that.
Ian

i pretty much always use a wedge, or at least put one in to avoid sitbacks. if its a small tree i just put in the backcut and wedge before i do the undercut. but then again i've never used or seen a lever used so i have no idea how effective they are. personally i dont think i'd like packing one around...aaah one more month till i'm back at work...can't wait.

Last edited:
much more popular in europe

felling levers are used alot in european forestry, you are required to own and use one for chainsaw training and certification. well at least on the first certificate, small tree felling (up to 15" diameter).

They are remarkably effective on trees up to that size. but only really in forestry applications, tall, densly planted stands of mainly spruce and larch.

and yes, cant hooks rock for rolling hung up trees off the stump

felling levers are used alot in european forestry, you are required to own and use one for chainsaw training and certification. well at least on the first certificate, small tree felling (up to 15" diameter).

They are remarkably effective on trees up to that size. but only really in forestry applications, tall, densly planted stands of mainly spruce and larch.

and yes, cant hooks rock for rolling hung up trees off the stump

Spot on, over here in scandinavia felling irons (thats what we call em here) are like million times more common than wedges mainly becouse its alot more efficient in "small" wood (by your standards) since over here tree over 20" DBH is rare... Also, the irons we use commonly have also an hook in them so they can be used to roll the log if needed...

ps. Atleast over here we dont have any certificates for felling and stuff... Must be german/european thing...

Somebody that was thinking would design one you could hammer a wedge with too, but I've never seen one like that.
Ian

I know that Husqvarna sells them over here, their is a lead weight in the bottom of it, and instead of lift the bar up you stand on it ,,saves the back !

attachment.php

I know that Husqvarna sells them over here, their is a lead weight in the bottom of it, and instead of lift the bar up you stand on it ,,saves the back !
Looks good except no cant hook.... I guess it would be hard to keep the hook part from flaily around when you using it as a hammer.

Latest posts

Back