Weight, cord of wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ircr450

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there knows what 128 cubic feet of Green Black Oak weighs? Any comparisons such as comprable hard wood or even a soft wood estimate would help. Thanks

:greenchainsaw:

I don't have black oak listed but i do have red oak @ 3,757# and white oak @ 4,012# per cord, I believe those are green weights.
The black oak is a family member of the red oak so....proably get you within range!

Last edited:
I don't know, but heres a full cord of seasoned oak. Unseasoned would weigh more. It takes alot to make these 2500hd's squat, so i'm guessing theres alot of weight. The diesel makes it hard to tell its back there.

I don't think anyone could do more than guess. That will change a lot, depending on what time of year it was harvested, how wet the wood is, etc. I have a chart in my office that says seasoned red oak comes in at 3,757 lbs and seasoned white oak is 4,012 lbs.

A great little chart for firewood, it relates a bunch of various trees to ease of burning, splitting, smoke, sparks, etc. It has 56 differerent trees listed, as well as a number of other fuels, but no mention of Black oak.

Here is the link to that chart: http://mb-soft.com/juca/print/firewood.html

Last edited:
I am new to the site and really appreciate all your help answering my question. I am building a new wood cutting trailer and wanted to get a rough idea what green oak weighs. I bent an axle about seven years ago and after spending all the money I have on this new trailer I wanted to get an idea of weight. If I learn how to post pictures I'll have to post some when its done.

I don't have black oak listed but i do have red oak @ 3,757# and white oak @ 4,012# per cord, I believe those are green weights.
The black oak is a family member of the red oak so....proably get you within range!

You'll find that those are going to be seasoned weights. A cord of green oak weighs in at somewhere between 5200-5600 lbs.

You'll find that those are going to be seasoned weights. A cord of green oak weighs in at somewhere between 5200-5600 lbs.

Yes you are right, I looked it up after I posted. That is a pretty astonishing weight.

Latest posts

Back