Welp, It's official

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
northmanlogging
Thanks fellas, I'm think about getting THIS axe for starting out.. :msp_unsure:

Them hand forged husky axes are nice and all, but a collins or even a true temper your not going to feel nearly as bad about losing:msp_ohmy:

wedge bags are nice but not strictly necessary, unless you find your self needing 3-4 wedges often or 2 or more different sizes.

By the way for heavy lifting you can use as many wedges as will fit in the back cut, each one takes up a little more of the load, and just keep whacking em like a xylophone, its sounds better if you color code them by length, tuning can be a ##### though. And usually when you need more then three rows of wedges the swearing and pounding blood tends to drown out all other sound anyway, not to mention the ragged breathing.:mad2:

slowp
Get a straight handled axe. That linky axe is not. Like, aren't you going to wander about with your buddy before purchasing everything mentioned in this thread? Borrow some stuff and see if you can last? Otherwise, it is a pretty big investment and you might end up not liking production falling.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I've seen folks come to work and it isn't at all what they thought it would be.

Last edited:
bustedup

bustedup

Addicted to ArboristSite
This might seem stupid to say ........It's not the bit of the axe that is of primary importance ie it don't need to be razor sharp (your not gonna be falling with it lol) it's the poll (butt) .......older axes tend to be of better steel (not made outta recycled tea spoons lol) ifn your handy enough you could pick up an old head and shaft it to the length ya want ......I prefer a straight shaft personally.

Do take time to dress the poll so it square and true for striking it does help

Husky axes are I think these days made by hultafors ......used to be wetterlings (now owned by granfors) so they are good steel

bustedup

bustedup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Get a straight handled axe. That linky axe is not. Like, aren't you going to wander about with your buddy before purchasing everything mentioned in this thread? Borrow some stuff and see if you can last? Otherwise, it is a pretty big investment and you might end up not liking production falling.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I've seen folks come to work and it isn't at all what they thought it would be.

well said there .....no point spending lots ifn you ain't gonna like it or it not gonna like you production falling a bit diff from falling for yourself or weekend firewood cutting

bustedup

bustedup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Whilst being slightly negative lol...........ya prob know how ya getting paid lol ......but if not might be worth asking lol...........I mean are ya getting paid by the board foot.......or the load .....or is it a whole job deal ......it is important kinda so ya got an idea of how much ya gotta fall per day

magictoad

magictoad

ArboristSite Operative
How about keeping a "emergency kit" on you at all times. (Cell phone, first aid kit, ect) Accidents do happen. Now im not talking a full paramedics bag but something sufficent.

Sent from me to you using my fingers

First aid kit, Cellox and Trauma wound dressing which has a built in pressure applicator, and keep them with you all the time, not left half a mile away in you vehicle.

Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
If you find out, after your first day or maybe your first week, that falling isn't really what you want to do don't feel bad.

There's a lot of difference between getting to cut wood and having to cut wood. :)

By the way, what are you being paid? Scale, tonnage, day wage?

ndlawrence

ndlawrence

ArboristSite Guru

Nah, I want this stuff for my side jobs regardless. Ill let you know this Saturday how it goes!

ndlawrence

ndlawrence

ArboristSite Guru
If you find out, after your first day or maybe your first week, that falling isn't really what you want to do don't feel bad.

There's a lot of difference between getting to cut wood and having to cut wood. :)

By the way, what are you being paid? Scale, tonnage, day wage?

Day wage I believe, I need to give him another call and get a definite number, he's a pretty good friend and always done me right in the past. I'm wanting to do this as a learning experience.

bustedup

bustedup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Day wage I believe, I need to give him another call and get a definite number, he's a pretty good friend and always done me right in the past. I'm wanting to do this as a learning experience.

Friends and business hmmmmm

Ya gotta find out bro what you gotta lay out in a day ....................

ndlawrence

ndlawrence

ArboristSite Guru
cool bro......we juss trying to give ya the heads up so ya don't get bit in the ass by things they expect ya to know already

I completely understand. I've had pretty good luck working FOR friends. I do construction full time right now with one of my friends, and this will just be on my off days (Saturday and some Fridays). I'm not looking to do this the rest of my life (I'm 18 will be going to UAH next year for mechanical engineering lord willing) I'm just looking to become more proficient at it. I really appreciate all your guys input.

bustedup

bustedup

Addicted to ArboristSite
I completely understand. I've had pretty good luck working FOR friends. I do construction full time right now with one of my friends, and this will just be on my off days (Saturday and some Fridays). I'm not looking to do this the rest of my life (I'm 18 will be going to UAH next year for mechanical engineering lord willing) I'm just looking to become more proficient at it. I really appreciate all your guys input.

jeez you watch not get hurt then ........your future career and all .......

Latest posts