Welp, It's official

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? Are you counting the boo boos? I know some very experienced fallers (20+ years cutting) who take pride in never getting hurt on the job. Both learned falling from their fathers and grew up around it.

Now, if you are counting boo boos, like little bruises and cuts, your statement could be true. Be sure and carry some of those band aids with cartoons on them...Hello Kitty would be good.

That a great phrase "Boo Boos" lol ...........I always consult the 1001 loggers excuse book when a boo boo happens ..............It a well worn copy lol

That a great phrase "Boo Boos" lol ...........I always consult the 1001 loggers excuse book when a boo boo happens ..............It a well worn copy lol

I do not feel a lot of them. I walked up to many a rigging crew at work, and they would point out, "Your hand is bleeding." I don't like to wear gloves.

No, what I meant was that everyone will get hurt at some point and that's a part of this job, one still has to get out and be productive. I'm sure your logger friends has been hurt/injured in their 20+ years of cutting.

You can keep the Hello Kitty band aids. :msp_razz:

With two young boys now, I can say affirmatively that the kiddie cartoon bandaids are the best stickiest ones I've ever used. Of course they still get a thin wrap of duct tape to hold them on through the work day.

With two young boys now, I can say affirmatively that the kiddie cartoon bandaids are the best stickiest ones I've ever used. Of course they still get a thin wrap of duct tape to hold them on through the work day.

My oldest says princess bandaids are best. :msp_wink:

Hope all is well on your side of the mountain:cheers:

My oldest says princess bandaids are best. :msp_wink:

Hope all is well on your side of the mountain:cheers:

I was at the bank straight after work and the teller looked at me and asked, "is that pooh bear?"
yes ma'am, and piglet.
The swimming teacher seemed uneasy when I let my boy use the princess ball for an activity. Don't worry, we're cool. Princesses, heck ya.

Bought a new motor for your grinder, must have glossed over some wires while running it with worn out bearings. 2nd to last one Madsen's had. Let me know if you ever decide to let go of another one. It does about 22 loops of 105 or 110 a week.

Last edited:
They must use super glue on the kids band aids. They sure do stick to everything. :laugh:

I can't remember but I think those motors can be bought somewhere else if need be. I don't have an extra right now but I'll keep on the lookout for another good one.

Well, day one is over. I learned a few things:
I don't know squat

Don't EVER wear merrell boots, your feet will be immediately soaked and stay that way all day long.

I learned how to swing a tree

I also learned that dropping a tree on a power line is a great way to end the day early....
I said it was too close but he said it it would clear it.... Needless to say it fell right where I wanted it and took the lines with it. He just said "I guess you were right" and called the power company LOL

he's paying me $30 for every 10 mill logs I cut, cut around we cut around 40 today and only worked half a day with a lot of teaching involved.

I think I'm going to get the hang of this!

I don't know squat

Don't EVER wear merrell boots, your feet will be immediately soaked and stay that way all day long.

I also learned that dropping a tree on a power line is a great way to end the day early....
I said it was too close but he said it it would clear it.... Needless to say it fell right where I wanted it and took the lines with it. He just said "I guess you were right" and called the power company LOL

he's paying me $30 for every 10 mill logs I cut, cut around we cut around 40 today and only worked half a day with a lot of teaching involved.

Hang in there ya got a ways to go yet lol

-If you have a tree that splits off like a y (school marm) make sure to lay it down flat, dont lay it down on one side or the other cause it'll split all the way to the base. Well on hardwoods thats the case not terrible sure on softwoods cause we don't have much round here.
- Hickory you always should bore the heart out. But other than that, bore cutting takes way too long and kills your back and makes it harder to have a decent stump.
- If you're cutting real low, lots of times it tends to be dirty down low. Cutting through the dirt dulls your chain and you'll spend more time filing than cutting.
- When that skidder is hoggin through the woods near ya, theres only one place you should be- the hell outta the way! You might not realize it but all those little tiny trees are now whips. You gotta stay away from that skidder when it's moving.
- Don't hang out at the base of the tree when it's falling, once it's going where its going get outta there. It can bounce back up to ya and from there on down it's lights out
-After the tree is on the ground. Don't just run up to it to start limbing it. Take a breath, look up and make sure there's no branches hung up in the trees above you.
- Carry water with you. Stay hydrated
-I like to keep some toilet paper folded up in a plastic bag in my pocket just cause leaves dont always do the best job.
-If it's rocky, cork boots aren't really ideal.
-When you're on your back cut, it's a good practice to place a wedge in once you have room. Just place it in there fairly loosely. This way if the tree sits back you can wedge it over and get your bar out. Also you can watch the wedge. If the wedge starts going down, then the tree is falling, if the wedge starts going up, then the tree is sitting back. If the wedge just stays there, you can set your coffee cup on it :msp_biggrin:
-Keep your saw maintained and your chain sharp. A dull chain is just bad news.
-Make sure to look up alot and keep your tin hat on your head.

I don't know squat

Didn't see that you already had your first day...when it comes to powerlines, no sense spending $500 on a $30 tree if its close I just steer clear and have bossman make the decision. Good luck!

Didn't see that you already had your first day...when it comes to powerlines, no sense spending $500 on a $30 tree if its close I just steer clear and have bossman make the decision. Good luck!

Good advice, thanks! And that's what I did, he said to cut it and it would clear, it didn't. Next time I will just let him cut anything close to em, and I won't have to worry about it. It didn't cost me anything, thankfully. I will keep updating y'all every Saturday, hopefully no more stories like that!

Good advice, thanks! And that's what I did, he said to cut it and it would clear, it didn't. Next time I will just let him cut anything close to em, and I won't have to worry about it. It didn't cost me anything, thankfully. I will keep updating y'all every Saturday, hopefully no more stories like that!

Roll Tide!

I don't know squat

Glad you enjoyed it, lot different, huh? Have you learned any methods for tree height calculation?

Sounds like your boss hasn't either or he wouldn't have hit the lines, lol. Here are a few easy field methods I've picked up over the years. Bet some of these guys have some other good ones too. They are all based on the properties of an equilateral right triangle. Relax, no math involved. Walk out to about where you think the top of the tree will hit. Now, if you were to see yourself and the tree from a side view, and draw a right triangle from you to the trunk, then up to the top of the tree, and then back down to you, if you are standing in the right spot you would have a right triangle with two equal sides. In other words, if the angle from you to the top of the tree is forty five degrees, then you have to be standing as far away from the tree as it is tall, right?

I use three different ways to check this angle. If it is really critical, I have a plastic carpenter's speed square that has a bubble level on one side. I will hold that upand sight along the long side while someone from the side makes sure the bubble is level. If it is level, and the ground is level between me and the tree, and I am looking up that right at the top of the tree, then the top will hit 5-6' behind me, everytime. The 5-6'mis to make up for the height of my eyes, and is a little dependent on the height of the cut, but you get the idea.

A little simpler way that is almost as accurate is to find a four foot or so long stick. Tuck it under your armpit with your arm extended and grip it. Then untuck it and extend your arm as level as you can, and hold the stick up as straight as you can. If you are looking past the tip of the stick and seeing the top of the tree, same thing. It will hit six feet or so behind you. Obviously, this isn't quite as accurate as the square method and takes a little more practice, but will still get ya close.

Finally, if ya just need to get in the ballpark, throw the ole Nazii salute at it, and use your fingertips as a guide. It'll get ya in the ballpark. Keep in mind, this is for level ground, in the hills you have to adjust a little, but the principles still work.

Hope this helps, and who knows, ya might teach your buddy something next weekend. I've won a few cases of beer over the years, it's amazing how many guys have been doing this for years, and still just guess. Jeff

Last edited:
Without starting the full wrap/ half wrap argument.
Where I cut if the wrap is on the ground you may still be in the rocks and dirt. Keeping your chain sharp is paramount to getting any amount of wood on the ground. .

Keep looking up. Make yourself look up. Look up. Look up. Look up. .
Sounds like you had a good day. If you can eat beef the night before you go to the woods. It gives you better strength in the afternoon. . I pack a 28 oz framing ax. An 8" hard head and a 12" is a good combo for that size timber. . I advocate a cheap short wedge also. No sense sawing up a good wedge.

And keep your thumb wrapped around the handle bar.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like ya had a good one ..........as far as falling towards power lines ......well ifn ya not sure don't do it.........ifn some one else wants ya to then let em do it..............Sizing up sticks and being confident where they will fall comes with time (not knocking ya at all) at the mo I'd stick to not falling anything towards lines etc.

I dunno what style of falling ya using or being taught but I'll say it again..........Look up

Take care of ya feet young man ......they take care of you and well your on them all day ......bad feet makes a day not so pleasant lol

You'll get there juss be patient you had a good start day

Back