Welp, It's official

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best way to loose a friend is to take them on as a partner in business.
The second best way to loose a friend is to go to work for them in their business.
Very few people are able to separate friendship and business.

Boss hires friend......friend screws up..........boss chews ass.......friend get's butt hurt.
or
Boss hires friend.....boss get's in a financial bind......boss figures, he's a friend, he'll understand......everyone else get's a paycheck, friend has to wait, and wait, and wait.
Working for friends is dangerous to friendships....Period.

Andy

The best way to loose a friend is to take them on as a partner in business.
The second best way to loose a friend is to go to work for them in their business.
Very few people are able to separate friendship and business.

Boss hires friend......friend screws up..........boss chews ass.......friend get's butt hurt.
or
Boss hires friend.....boss get's in a financial bind......boss figures, he's a friend, he'll understand......everyone else get's a paycheck, friend has to wait, and wait, and wait.
Working for friends is dangerous to friendships....Period.

Andy

Well put bro.......think we all at times had some less than ideal experiences working for "friends"

yup, I have uncles in the bness as well. we have tried teaming up but it never works. to many chiefs not enuff injuns lol. it funny, all the buyers here say if we could all get along we woulda been the biggest outfit around. jus won't work. I do fall for um once in a while, but that jus a pay me for today see ya later thing.

yup, I have uncles in the bness as well. we have tried teaming up but it never works. to many chiefs not enuff injuns lol. it funny, all the buyers here say if we could all get along we woulda been the biggest outfit around. jus won't work. I do fall for um once in a while, but that jus a pay me for today see ya later thing.

Families juss great ain't they lol

Families juss great ain't they lol

Actually, family is great. Just don't do business with them. :laugh:

About 25 years ago I was cleaning up some lot's that an uncle of mine owned. I was doing it on the side, just for the wood. He got pissed at me about something and pushed my old 1970 Ford 4x4 off a pretty steep hill, after he nocked the lights and windows out of it. That old Ford wouldn't give up though, it went 300 feet down that steep wooded lot, never hit a thing, landed in the middle of the road below and stopped. :laugh: County deputy sheriff called and told me I needed to move my truck out of the road so resident folks could get home. :laugh:
Now I love my uncle, and we get along good. Had a lot of good times since then. But we don't do business! We don't even talk about business! Mostly because it would upset my Momma real bad for me to put a #10 Wesco in her baby brother's butt. :laugh:
I love my family!

Andy

I've worked with my dad for 8-9 years, first year we ran the company together but that was a bad idea :angry:
Then I started my own business and took him on as an employee, much better for both of us even if it took a few years to get to a level where both were happy.
Now that he's injured and off from work it's much more like a ordinary workplace, can't really have the same kind of jargon with non-family members of the crew!

By the way, there's a 100% injury rate for us nutheads working in the woods. Everyone gets hurt, sometimes on a daily basis :dizzy:

No sir.
Just don't want you to walk into this armed with anything other than the truth about the situation.
Good luck with it. :cheers:

Andy

I know I know! Let me rephrase my friendship, about 4 years ago I was pretty good friends with this guy then he went off and got married and haven't seen him but a few times since. So worst case scenario I go work a Saturday and don't get paid and don't come back!

We shall see... I've got a nice and shinny 28" techlite bar on the way either way :hmm3grin2orange:

By the way, there's a 100% injury rate for us nutheads working in the woods. Everyone gets hurt, sometimes on a daily basis :dizzy:

Really? Are you counting the boo boos? I know some very experienced fallers (20+ years cutting) who take pride in never getting hurt on the job. Both learned falling from their fathers and grew up around it.

Now, if you are counting boo boos, like little bruises and cuts, your statement could be true. Be sure and carry some of those band aids with cartoons on them...Hello Kitty would be good.

I agree. I "help" out running the family business. Working with family drives me nuts.

Sent from me to you using my fingers

Really? Are you counting the boo boos? I know some very experienced fallers (20+ years cutting) who take pride in never getting hurt on the job. Both learned falling from their fathers and grew up around it.

Now, if you are counting boo boos, like little bruises and cuts, your statement could be true. Be sure and carry some of those band aids with cartoons on them...Hello Kitty would be good.

No, what I meant was that everyone will get hurt at some point and that's a part of this job, one still has to get out and be productive. I'm sure your logger friends has been hurt/injured in their 20+ years of cutting.

You can keep the Hello Kitty band aids. :msp_razz:

I have to agree with slowp here. I one of those 20+ year guys never missed a day from injury. now I been cut and knocked around a bit, but nuthin to not be able to work and never had to seek a medic. I am sorry to here bout yer dad tho, hope he gets well soon.

I have to agree with slowp here. I one of those 20+ year guys never missed a day from injury. now I been cut and knocked around a bit, but nuthin to not be able to work and never had to seek a medic. I am sorry to here bout yer dad tho, hope he gets well soon.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say, you get hurt/cut/knocked around but still have to go to work. Some people might stay at home the next day because they are a bit sore after being "knocked around a bit".

My dad's injury is not related to work, but thanks!

Latest posts

Back