whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what we do with pine anymore every Friday we roast ballparks on it.

I have a farm with a huge woodburning furnace that takes all of our crap wood ie. pine, poplars, that's too big to go through the chipper, whatever we can't sell as firewood basically. We can drop off as much as we want and they love it!

Well, I made 2 days of profit for one days worth of work. Sweet. Took down the four 90' sycamores, from left to right. Had a 60' lift, but it blew a hose, so i got a 80' lift to get the job finished up. All the chips and wood stayed. Gonna toss my guys a couple hundred extra today for there hard work.

attachment.php

The ice surely does have some real bad slushy areas. Not a ride I would want to take at night or in a snowstorm. I always feel like a criminal turning a nice sawlog into biscuits.

Hey Devon, you know Mike Shultz by any chance? he has a decent size barge, and does a lot of work on Go Home - septic beds, construction, etc. A couple of years ago at the same place, we did a bunch of pines on the lake side, flopped them into the lake, and Mike fished them out with his excavator on the barge. Took them down the lake ways, then he offloaded them to get burnt for campfire wood. A lot of fun; slow barge ride on Go Home on a nice summer day!

Well, I made 2 days of profit for one days worth of work. Sweet. Took down the four 90' sycamores, from left to right. Had a 60' lift, but it blew a hose, so i got a 80' lift to get the job finished up. All the chips and wood stayed. Gonna toss my guys a couple hundred extra today for there hard work.

attachment.php

Why not just use your bucket?

attachment.php

where's your bucket?

How come there's no snow in Lancaster, huh?
You are being deprived of the true meaning of winter.....snow, long periods of starvation that are interspersed with occasional work.

Why not just use your bucket?

The job was over a hour away, so i thought i would save fuel and use the contractors lift. You cant see it in the pic, but they are replaceing the bridge that goes over the creek, just behind the trees. My bucket is only 55' tall so i would have had to do a lot of climbing. I could have did 1 maybe 2 trees, but not all 4, so i figured it would be alot faster with a lift. I also priced it with the cost of the lift included.

We stuffed the big white pines brush into the chipper truck and another dead one as well, she was loaded!:msp_tongue:

Nothin like easing back into the season with a 100ft co-dominant Pinus Strobus. I honestly couldn't lift the 357 one more time, wayyyy outta climbing shape! lol

Made a deal on this today. Should have it home and set up by the end of the week. A few years newer and half the miles of the one ton. Not quite as much truck but it will be much nicer for estimates. The 6.0 has good power for a gasser so it will handle some work too.

3606392080.html

The ice surely does have some real bad slushy areas. Not a ride I would want to take at night or in a snowstorm. I always feel like a criminal turning a nice sawlog into biscuits.

Hey Devon, you know Mike Shultz by any chance? he has a decent size barge, and does a lot of work on Go Home - septic beds, construction, etc. A couple of years ago at the same place, we did a bunch of pines on the lake side, flopped them into the lake, and Mike fished them out with his excavator on the barge. Took them down the lake ways, then he offloaded them to get burnt for campfire wood. A lot of fun; slow barge ride on Go Home on a nice summer day!

Yep know of him, I have removed a lot of construction related stressed out trees from his work! lol! Honest mistake on their part .....you know driving big machines and compacting the soil and banging up trees! I don't mind at all! The people wonder why the trees have died 2-5 years after their nice cottage was built or reno':msp_w00t:d!

This tree was dinged and compacted by another contractor on the lake who is no longer in business. Did a pretty big addition to this cottage and every spring it buckles when the frost leaves. Hardwood floors and drywal buckle! They have had to redo it every spring the last 3 years! On the contractors dime! They built the addition on the rock and didn't take that part into consideration! The owners had an engineer in this summer and the price to fix it is astonishing! They sued the contractor and won. He is paying for his mistake now! They learned there lesson, don't always go with the lowest bidder!:msp_tongue:
Yes jeff and I Murphed that baby as well!

Last edited:
They do this up my way a lot as well. Build a mulity million dollar cottage among the towering hemlocks or pines and then call me in a few years later to remove all the dead ones.

The job was over a hour away, so i thought i would save fuel and use the contractors lift. You cant see it in the pic, but they are replaceing the bridge that goes over the creek, just behind the trees. My bucket is only 55' tall so i would have had to do a lot of climbing. I could have did 1 maybe 2 trees, but not all 4, so i figured it would be alot faster with a lift. I also priced it with the cost of the lift included.

Ok? Why try and rent a 60 foot lift first then? Not to be a #### but they look real easy for a bucket like yours or mine. Just sayin, I hang those size tops pretty regular.

Nice, just needs a plow! What year/price?

Plow probably won't happen till the fall. I have newer western that we only use for the lot to put on it but I think I want to make sure the truck is a keeper first. Ezdumper will go in asap though! I gave $12,700 for it, '06 with 65K on the ticker.

Latest posts

Back