whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Incomplete. We built it out of polished aluminum and didn't want to cover it with paint.

I was stopped at a RIDE (Reduce Impaired Drivers Everywhere) spot check up north last December. There was a half dozen officers stopping traffic in both directions on the 2 lane highway just approaching town. One officer approached my truck asked why the "fish hut" on the back of my truck wasn't strapped down. The other cops started laughing as one of them explained to his partner that it was a chip box and that it was bolted down. I just smiled as he told me to move on. I'm sure he was razed by his coworkers for awhile. :)

Fish Hut! Ha! Ha! Ha! :biggrin:

Plow probably won't happen till the fall. I have newer western that we only use for the lot to put on it but I think I want to make sure the truck is a keeper first. Ezdumper will go in asap though! I gave $12,700 for it, '06 with 65K on the ticker.

Looks like a pretty good deal. Those are hard to find in good used shape, got a 04 couple years ago and set it up with a Western Pro, haven't got to plow with it yet! Took it out to salt a few times this winter so far though.

Hah, another local tree guy called wanting to sell an ezdumper, I was like WTF? Did you see the post I put up or something? Was trying to unload an aluminum 1 basically new, told him unless it's a killer deal not interested:msp_tongue:

I have a farm with a huge woodburning furnace that takes all of our crap wood ie. pine, poplars, that's too big to go through the chipper, whatever we can't sell as firewood basically. We can drop off as much as we want and they love it!

If we are just taken out 2-3 pines we usually dont chip it. So once it gets smashed in the truck it stays in a giant cube shape and man will it burn with a few gallons of diesel. Flames can be seen for quite a ways, in the summer we use a few of them for the fourth of july.

The real trick is we use the smaller leaf blower and lock the trigger on it blowing in the bottom of the pile turns it into an incinerator.

Dammit, still learning how to post pics from this tablet. This work?

3Ea3Ke3N95Lf5Nf5G1d299cb61ebf3bf01378.jpg

I have a 04 2500HD ext cab long wheelbase with 280k on it. It has been a good truck and plenty of power and with good tires it goes through snow and mud great.

Picked up my new calipers this morning for the Chevy, took it down to my friend's place and we got them in without much trouble. Got the lines bled and all that jazz, still having trouble. We've done the master cylinder, the entire front end, adjusted the rear drums, and now the two calipers, still no pedal. I checked into the brake booster, $250 and it will take a week to get in. My buddy who did the master cylinder says that he didn't see any signs of the booster being bad. I'm just curious what else could be the problem. I'm not losing fluid and the lines seem alright.

This afternoon I met with one of my guys for lunch, we were going to go cut up a few apple trees and stack the brush for later in the week... just throw the wood on the back of the truck. We showed up, the customer was out there, gave me the run down on what he wants to do beyond what we already have on the list. We pretty much gave up on the apples because the guy wants to keep the wood, gonna head over there tomorrow morning to get them out of the way before the rains come. He did ask me to go over to his neighbor's house though because she wants some work done. Walking up to the door there were at least 2 or 3 cats I saw running around by the front door, and the smell told me that they had PLENTY of friends around. The lady came out, she was a real beauty... missing plenty of teeth. We walked around the yard so she could show me some really nasty dead cherries out back. I told her she'd have to move this one truck out of the way so we could get in there... "Oh, it hasn't run in 2 years" between the animals and the garbage laying about the yard... I just wanted to get the heck out of there.

Gravy job.

I picked up this gravy job for the 10 days. I get to work on a lot of jobs for the Santa ana botanical gardens. This latest one is a property they bought for 2 1/2 million dollars. That may sound like a lot, but this ranch in Claremont, Calif. is in the high rent area. Mostly surrounded by devolepments, it's 54 acres of mostly pristine wilderness in a sea of track homes.
I am doing hazard tree removals, and some thinning of an old olive grove that burnt back in 2002. There is a lot of new growth out of those dead looking burnt up stumps. Were stump grinding a lot of old stump alls over the property, and removing fence line and horse corrals, and doing general clean up.
We busted out a slab today and it was loaded with rattle snakes. Lots of the olives are damaged from an old bear that roams around up there, I have never seen so many deer. I saw a herd of maybe 50 does today, tame as hell for the most part.
Maybe to you country boys this isn't no big deal, but were 10 min. from a major city. Here are some photos I took the few days.View attachment 280084View attachment 280085View attachment 280086View attachment 280087

I picked up this gravy job for the 10 days. I get to work on a lot of jobs for the Santa ana botanical gardens. This latest one is a property they bought for 2 1/2 million dollars. That may sound like a lot, but this ranch in Claremont, Calif. is in the high rent area. Mostly surrounded by devolepments, it's 54 acres of mostly pristine wilderness in a sea of track homes.
I am doing hazard tree removals, and some thinning of an old olive grove that burnt back in 2002. There is a lot of new growth out of those dead looking burnt up stumps. Were stump grinding a lot of old stump alls over the property, and removing fence line and horse corrals, and doing general clean up.
We busted out a slab today and it was loaded with rattle snakes. Lots of the olives are damaged from an old bear that roams around up there, I have never seen so many deer. I saw a herd of maybe 50 does today, tame as hell for the most part.
Maybe to you country boys this isn't no big deal, but were 10 min. from a major city. Here are some photos I took the few days.View attachment 280084View attachment 280085View attachment 280086View attachment 280087

mmmm. marinated venison steaks !

Wheres the rattle snake pics?

mmmm. marinated venison steaks !

Mmmmm, mom just roasted up a beautiful venison loin taken on their property this fall. Came from a little pronghorn buck, probably the best slab of deer I've had yet! Makes my mouth water thinking about it... mmmmm

Wheres the rattle snake pics?
In the excitment I forgot to take any. The excuvator was raking them out like noodles. We did take one video. A dead snake was laid out next to a can of marker paint, then a worker was ask to bring the paint. He reached for the paint can then screamed like a girl when he seen the snake. I want to put it on youtube. I am trying to get a copy.

The first lift, I didn't pay for. It was the contractors which I could use for free. Most of the trees tops leaned towards the builings and my truck and chipper, so catching 30' tops could have meant a insurance claim. Why would I want to have to take the time to rig everything out when I could just go up and cut branches off that would go right threw the chipper without having to run the saw on the ground.

If I would have used my bucket, I would have been right under neither the tree. Maybe you would have done it differently, but with the way I did it I still put $4500 profit in my pocket yesterday.

Last edited:
The first lift, I didn't pay for. It was the contractors which I could use for free. Most of the trees tops leaned towards the builings and my truck and chipper, so catching 30' tops could have meant a insurance claim. Why would I want to have to take the time to rig everything out when I could just go up and cut branches off that would go right threw the chipper without having to run the saw on the ground.

If I would have used my bucket, I would have been right under neither the tree. Maybe you would have done it differently, but with the way I did it I still put $4500 profit in my pocket yesterday.

Damn ....... That's nice ..... You did better then all the guys #####ing put together yesterday ! Good for you .

Well, I made 2 days of profit for one days worth of work. Sweet. Took down the four 90' sycamores, from left to right. Had a 60' lift, but it blew a hose, so i got a 80' lift to get the job finished up. All the chips and wood stayed. Gonna toss my guys a couple hundred extra today for there hard work.

attachment.php

Those sycamores are easy to climb, lots of good TIP's...a good climber could have chunked those down in no time at all, saving you rental fee....but I will say, buckets are easy if you dont climb much and you got them down safe.

should of just murphed them sona #####es into the field

Last edited:
Those sycamores are easy to climb, lots of good TIP's...a good climber could have chunked those down in no time at all, saving you rental fee....but I will say, buckets are easy if you dont climb much and you got them down safe.

Some of the lower branches went out about 50' almost horizontal to the first branch union. There was erosion control matting under them, so I had to take small pieces to not wrip up the matting.

I don't climb a hole lot so I would have been able to climb four in one day.

Latest posts

Back