whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is a woodsman 790 out your way that I'm going to go check out this weekend. was supposed to be a demo unit with like 15 hours on it or something 250hp. its in east earl PA

Iv'e been demo'n chippers all week, ran a 1290 which was sweet but has a really lame throttle the size of a muprhy swithch you have to hold up and down for at least 20 seconds. Then had a vermeer 1200 , cant get over that safety bump bar on the feed table and to many electronic gizmos. Got a 990 on thursday seems like a good in between chipper, removals are a minority of my work.
Cant imagine dragging arount that 790, that thing weighs around 12,000pnds your gonna need a semi to drag that and you better kill helluva alot trees to pay off that $120,000 unit. Hope your kids arent planning on doing tree work, your gonna run out of trees.

would you please paint that thing already..

I really want to get it done, but i am just to darn busy. I think today, I moved from 3 weeks out to a month out. Got some old guy thats gonna pay me $350 to pull off ivoy from 2 trees and clean it up. It might take me 2 hrs at the most.

I really want to get it done, but i am just to darn busy. I think today, I moved from 3 weeks out to a month out. Got some old guy thats gonna pay me $350 to pull off ivoy from 2 trees and clean it up. It might take me 2 hrs at the most.

I hear ya man.

what you lookin to get for your chipper?

Last week has not been the best.

The Dodge 2500 needed a new tranny. (362,00km -about 217,000 miles isn't too bad, but it still was $$$).

Had to replace the A/C in the house. - more $$$.

Ended up getting a couple of stitches on my left index finger yesterday from a "chop saw incident" while building a ladder rack on the chip truck. -could have been worse I guess. My fault. Ended up having to give a "storm job" to a friend.

Go to start the chip truck this evening and it needs a new starter. #%*~!!!!!!!!

Oh well, at least I have another climber that can climb, so that I can mend. I'm booked solid for the next month and I woke up on the right side of the grass (a line that a family member [cancer survivor] uses).

All's good, tomorrow's another day.

I hear ya man.

what you lookin to get for your chipper?[/QUOT

I've been seeing all these pics of huge chippers, cranes and chip truck on here and they are coming from towns less then half the size of a seattle suburb. You use to work out here,even the biggest outfits don't run anything bigger then a 12" and cranes are a minority at best. What do you think the differance is, we have huge trees and tons of money. Wondering if it's the comp. last time i looked there was over 550 tree services in the yellow pages and on google in the seattle area.

I would like to get $6000

My buddy just sold his 1250 for 6g's. Steel belts poking out of the tires,chute about to fall off and just a plain eye sore. Sold it to landscaper for cash, it's a great time of year to sell a chipper, post it on craigs list in the closest big city to ya.

I hear ya man.

what you lookin to get for your chipper?[/QUOT

I've been seeing all these pics of huge chippers, cranes and chip truck on here and they are coming from towns less then half the size of a seattle suburb. You use to work out here,even the biggest outfits don't run anything bigger then a 12" and cranes are a minority at best. What do you think the differance is, we have huge trees and tons of money. Wondering if it's the comp. last time i looked there was over 550 tree services in the yellow pages and on google in the seattle area.

I've noticed that too when I lived out there. Heck the co I worked for used 6in chuck n ducks. wood either got left on site or loaded in a pick up, I'll never forget loading massive rounds of fir in to an old chevy pickup by hand.. Of course this was back in the late 80's, I wonder what those guys are doing now. Went on their website and they're still around.

Around here it seams like most established outfits have some kind of crane and a big chipper to keep up with it. Not sure why things seam so different over here..

How bout 3k and I'll paint your grinder for ya! :biggrin:

The dealer will give me more then that for a trade in.

I also have everything to paint it now too. I am going to tear the grinder completely down and replace parts as i paint it. It has some cracked welds and what not that need to be fixed.

The dealer will give me more then that for a trade in.

I also have everything to paint it now too. I am going to tear the grinder completely down and replace parts as i paint it. It has some cracked welds and what not that need to be fixed.

cool. I went through the same thing when replacing my small grinder. I ended up getting more for it through an outside sale then the dealer was going to give me for a trade in. Picked up another climber and groundguy and suddenly find myself needing another chipper.. guess it doesn't need to be a big one.

painting stump grinders is a job and a half! don't wish that on anybody..

I quote in a Honda Insight tell the clients I try to keep cost down but remind them the price of diesel and some offer to let me leave my chipper and fuso on multiday jobs and I commute in the eco-quoter, nice to have it on job too to break early or lunch or parts run, gets around 52 in town and better on the hwy usually put about 20-30 a week in it, San Antonio sits on alot of miles so comes in handy plus it has AC and none of my trucks have ac,
Paul
View attachment 240406

I've used my wife's Accord a few times, but stick to the company truck for most of the few leads that I run.

The slacks and button shirt are a very good idea, because they communicate a certain level of professionalism, though neat workwear with a little dirt on them can project the competent trades man image. I am often confused by the business owners who show up in shabby ripped jeans and generic shirt, or old camouflage utility pants. I'll get my "old saw" out and say again that selling yourself will more often get the job then selling the work. If I can Walk & Talk with a potential client my closing rate is near 50% higher than writing "trim tree" on a bid sheet.

As for the Caddie....I think this may be very situationally dependent, I think you may be concerned with a subliminal message that you are going to be charging too much. For an estate level bid it may work in your favor, because it projects an entrepreneurial image, you are established and will be there for the client for the long haul. What i often tell people is that I'm a service provider and I want to take care of them for years to come.

I'm in favor of the small car/truck for leads and part's run, crew cabs are great for big jobs where you people on lunch/potty breaks. Everything you drive should have name/number highly visible, maybe even a web-address.

TMD doesn't care anymore

TMD worked with me the other day in some old linden trees. The day went pretty well for the most part but it's just that something has been on my mind since. Both trees had some prolonged issues that couldn't be address in one prune session but i feel i must bring this to his attention. It isn't my intention to start a fight, only to let him know that i'm not happy. Maybe i'm being too picky, or maybe i'm just wrong if so then fine. A couple of cuts he made on the one linden tree really dissapointed me. It could be he was tired or just didn't care IDK whatever the case I really thought he was better than that. Let me know if im being overly critical. These pics are from a cut he made but really it was the 6" flush cut that ticked me off.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's just effed up. You posting it as a gripe on the net I mean, not that TMD may have made a less than optimal cut.

Really, how hard is it to look a man in the eye and say "Hey, I'm a bit pissed that you flushed that limb on my customers tree, what's the deal man?"

That's just effed up. You posting it as a gripe on the net I mean, not that TMD may have made a less than optimal cut.

Really, how hard is it to look a man in the eye and say "Hey, I'm a bit pissed that you flushed that limb on my customers tree, what's the deal man?"

Bet your ass they'd hear it if it was my job.. that would be as far as it would (typically) travel, though.

I'm kinda like a "hack with ridgid standards". Lol.

Last edited:

yu shouldn't jump to conclusions i did ask him why he made that cut and his answer was "you got to do something" That answer isn't good enough for me so thats why i'm bringing it up here. there was a bunch of unfavorable cuts he made when I was in the backyard doing something else. I thought I could trust him to do the tree without me there.

Latest posts

Back