whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Memories for a lifetime

I was watching The Smoking Gun's Dumbest Competitions volume 1 and saw they had filmed the downhill bicycle race on The Wall in Manyunk Pa.
First of all, if you don't know, The Wall is the name of the the big hill that is part of the Tour D France. They ride up the hill for that but the night before all the drunk Philadelphians ride down. I have watched both races many time, I used work as a bike mechanic at the shop at the bottom of The Wall called The Wall. Being more of fat tire freaks we didn't really hang with the leg shavers. In fact I don't remember fixing very many bicycles except my own and mostly just stayed down in the basement drinking and making things from the Anarchist Cookbook. We weren't Anarchist and Justin pretty much blew his face off packing Idaho Blue Tip matches into a pipe. We were out on the street and heard this dull boom then smoke started coming out of the basement. We knew he was in there but we didn't know what he was doing exactly and we were like " uh Justin, it says ' strike anywhere' right on the box bro." He had gotten a few boxes jammed in the pipe before it blew, he was packing them with a dowel rod. Justin was pretty messed up and claims to still be color blind but he still is quite a pyro. You can always count on him for the good stuff in July... actually anytime of year that guy has somekind of bomb but he is dangerous as hell. We would tell him he couldn't set off 3 inch mortars right out in the street like that, it was the city. Just counting the unintentional things he's taken out: a porch, a Dodge Omni ( it was Mike's Dad's car) and an old boat. If you ever stood next to a 3 inch mortar ( that's real stuff you see at proper firework displays) as it ignites and takes off you feel the air displace and you ears pop like when in a plane. You might have seen one of his 4th of July displays: River Road by the Flatrock dam just outside Manyunk, should be able to see it from the Surekill Expressway close to the Gladwynne onramp.
Justin was the #### when it came to bikes and he also built all the wheels for the motorcycle shop around the corner. He ended up marrying Brian's X who Brian had a kid with and she was a complete ##### wack job. She was not nice no sir and not even pretty and we all were like WTF.
The downhill race usually ended up with fights breaking out cause people were crashing into parked cars and pissing all over the place. They might have stopped the race and I haven't been to see the real race in years. Nodoby ever really saw the real race anyway. They were all to busy getting hammered in the sun and stumbling around the baked concrete and asphalt til they found a spot to sleep it off. Booze , heat, and trying to walk up steep hills is not a good combo.

Last edited:
Today I think I may have actually worked. Went to a client's house and butchered their mountain laurel. They wanted it cut back in May when I was there, but I talked them into letting me do the work in winter. It went from 6' to 2' very quickly :eek2: Told them it will come back in a couple of years.

It is a bush and you did a reduction at the proper time of the year. ::

77 degrees.. got any spare room in your pool..

It is like about 50 degrees colder here..

It finally got back up around 30 today, we saw -14 or so for several days in a row.

Last edited:
....ther's no copyright on this thread????........:blob2:.........the original is from 2004...MasterBlaster :yoyo:

I was watching The Smoking Gun's Dumbest Competitions volume 1 and saw they had filmed the downhill bicycle race on The Wall in Manyunk Pa.

First of all, if you don't know, The Wall is the name of the the big hill that is part of the Tour D France. They ride up the hill for that but the night before all the drunk Philadelphians ride down. I have watched both races many time, I used work as a bike mechanic at the shop at the bottom of The Wall called The Wall. Being more of fat tire freaks we didn't really hang with the leg shavers.

In fact I don't remember fixing very many bicycles except my own and mostly just stayed down in the basement drinking and making things from the Anarchist Cookbook. We weren't Anarchist and Justin pretty much blew his face off packing Idaho Blue Tip matches into a pipe. We were out on the street and heard this dull boom then smoke started coming out of the basement.

We knew he was in there but we didn't know what he was doing exactly and we were like " uh Justin, it says ' strike anywhere' right on the box bro." He had gotten a few boxes jammed in the pipe before it blew, he was packing them with a dowel rod.

Justin was pretty messed up and claims to still be color blind but he still is quite a pyro. You can always count on him for the good stuff in July... actually anytime of year that guy has somekind of bomb but he is dangerous as hell. We would tell him he couldn't set off 3 inch mortars right out in the street like that, it was the city.

Just counting the unintentional things he's taken out: a porch, a Dodge Omni ( it was Mike's Dad's car) and an old boat. If you ever stood next to a 3 inch mortar ( that's real stuff you see at proper firework displays) as it ignites and takes off you feel the air displace and you ears pop like when in a plane.

You might have seen one of his 4th of July displays: River Road by the Flatrock dam just outside Manyunk, should be able to see it from the Surekill Expressway close to the Gladwynne onramp.

Justin was the #### when it came to bikes and he also built all the wheels for the motorcycle shop around the corner. He ended up marrying Brian's X who Brian had a kid with and she was a complete ##### wack job. She was not nice no sir and not even pretty and we all were like WTF.

The downhill race usually ended up with fights breaking out cause people were crashing into parked cars and pissing all over the place. They might have stopped the race and I haven't been to see the real race in years. Nodoby ever really saw the real race anyway. They were all to busy getting hammered in the sun and stumbling around the baked concrete and asphalt til they found a spot to sleep it off. Booze , heat, and trying to walk up steep hills is not a good combo.

Don't hate me for doing this Danno, must be the school marm in me but I love your stories.....just have the attention span of a gnat. This helps and nothing changed.

Davo

Don't hate me for doing this Danno, must be the school marm in me but I love your stories.....just have the attention span of a gnat. This helps and nothing changed.

Davo

Lol! I'm sure PDQ could elaborate on that some. As for me, I'm generally illeterate and self taught, so you'll have to bear with me. :laugh:

Today I think I may have actually worked. Went to a client's house and butchered their mountain laurel. They wanted it cut back in May when I was there, but I talked them into letting me do the work in winter. It went from 6' to 2' very quickly :eek2: Told them it will come back in a couple of years.

Right on Treeman... I mean Bushman:msp_tongue: I too have a good amount of stuff like that to do but MAN wait til its a little warmer! There is a lot of youwannamiss that needs a-whacking to. I do wait til last frost to make sure the new cuts don't get wind burnt and froze. Some people wanted stuff cut back before it snowed so it wouldn't get crushed but for one I didn't have the time and two; its not the right time.

Davo

What is it that you have done? Is it about the credit/currency thing? I was going to ask what that was about.:confused:

Picking up a like new 200T an ass load of like new climbing/rigging gear from a guy who took down some trees for his fam last year @ about .30 cents on the dollar.

It don't matter and surely not to you but if you wanted I can enlighten you as to what should be of your concern... if you want.

:confused:........was just noticing it ...what's wrong ....maybe you see some meaning I cannot see.....no any second purpose in what I was sayng.......and regarding the enlightment....please.....I'm listening ...always eager to widen my wisdom......:bowdown:

peace

Picking up a like new 200T an ass load of like new climbing/rigging gear from a guy who took down some trees for his fam last year @ about .30 cents on the dollar.

Wow.. bought a 200T to take down trees for fam.. and that was it. Guess cheaper than hiring somebody (maybe).. but depending on his experience a whole crap load more risk..

Back