whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busy day. Got my guys started on one job then headed off to my condos to finish up on the second phase of a pruning project that has taken me forever due to storm related calls and weather. Had a little storm cleanup to do there and more broken and split limbs to do later. While walking the property I saw a bunch more stuff that needs to be pruned from structures... It a never ending cycle it seems...

Anyway, collected on 6 jobs today... That's always a good thing. ;)

I dead wooded ten ash and locust today at one of the jewish cemeteries. We were just getting the bigger dead out of them. I did two in about a half hour then sent one of my other guys up and I ran a couple bids. I get back about an hour and a half later and he is just starting his third one, Pissed me off. I dont know what he is doing when Im gone and I know he is faster than that. We were using my little bucket so it wasnt even that hard. This has happened a few times the past couple weeks. I asked my ground guy and he said they have been working. I jumped up in the bucket and did the last six in three hours.

Im meeting a guy Fri to talk about updating my website, I cant wait to get rid of the lion tailed pics. I havent lion tailed a tree in a couple years.

did a small removal and line clearence in the morning and then everything wnt to hell. two of the three removals had concrete in them. both showed no signs of it. After rocking $150 worth of chains (tight drop zones on the logs) I left a 12 foot stub and said f!@* it and told the guy that his excavator can rip it over when he digs the foundation. Easy day for tomorrow though. gotta go down to st clarsville(2 hour drive) for an hours worth of work for a large co that uses us., then ride around with my "boss" so i know what 5 different crews need to do while he's in florida for ten days.

Last week has not been the best.

The Dodge 2500 needed a new tranny. (362,00km -about 217,000 miles isn't too bad, but it still was $$$).

Had to replace the A/C in the house. - more $$$.

Ended up getting a couple of stitches on my left index finger yesterday from a "chop saw incident" while building a ladder rack on the chip truck. -could have been worse I guess. My fault. Ended up having to give a "storm job" to a friend.

Go to start the chip truck this evening and it needs a new starter. #%*~!!!!!!!!

Oh well, at least I have another climber that can climb, so that I can mend. I'm booked solid for the next month and I woke up on the right side of the grass (a line that a family member [cancer survivor] uses).

All's good, tomorrow's another day.
Crappy Chuck, heal fast!

Forgot to mention earlier that one of my clients from today is a 33 year retired veteran and a member of the Oklahoma Native American Color Guard. Really cool guy. He invited me in while he wrote the check and he had all his beads out working on an intricate necklas and banner for his traditional Creek Nation Eagle battle dress that he wears at the color ceremonies to welcome home and honor other veterans. Really cool stuff. Love working for guys like that.

Book blues

Reading Arboriculture by Harris, second attempt. Started, but then stalled, got real busy with kid stuff on top of work, in meantime, loaned the book out to a yungin, cant remember who, bought a new one (used from Amazon for 20 bucks!perfect shape)
Struggling thru some of it, the whole light thing and its affect is pretty deep. JPS could ya thro some lamen terms up to make it a little easier to understand, it gets pretty damn confusing. I would say that book is not for the newb. I have read a lot of books, this one is hard. Tryin ta grasp it is not easy, for me anyway. Nano meters! Trying to get back into the 2 hours a day with da books, not easy when your workin sun up to sun down.

Blasted a fairly large silver maple yesterday, had a bunch of skinny a s s leaders, over a house and choice landscaping/ irrigation. I hate climbing these, get to the top and your trying to stick a spike into something that is not even as big around as a fence post, so ya have to aim yur shot. Legs are real tired today

Got bamboozled last night on a bid. They didn't want any prices, just my time to waste. Found out after I was done looking at everything, "thanks for your time, now we know what we need to do" Call note "need estimate on pruning all trees on property" Spent a hour there, my fault for not addressing their needs right off the bat.

Last edited:
Had some fricking idiot call me this week and have me come out to look at a removal for a second time. Pissed me off. He must have forgot he already got an estimate from me. He doesn't speak good English so I couldn't recognize the name. When he asked me to just stick the estimate in the door I knew the caller sounded familiar. I gave him a song of a price the first time because his house is right around the corner from my condo account and I would have had my stump grinder on location the next day. I think I bid it for $200, stump included (really small removal) and then the A-hole wouldn't answer my follow up call, never got back to me and had the nerve to call me back out to the same address again. I did not leave another estimate amd did not call back this time. :angry2:

Woke up this morning with a swollen paw. I've got a Locust thorn in it from a prune I did yesterday...:cry:

Had some fricking idiot call me this week and have me come out to look at a removal for a second time. Pissed me off. He must have forgot he already got an estimate from me. He doesn't speak good English so I couldn't recognize the name. When he asked me to just stick the estimate in the door I knew the caller sounded familiar. I gave him a song of a price the first time because his house is right around the corner from my condo account and I would have had my stump grinder on location the next day. I think I bid it for $200, stump included (really small removal) and then the A-hole wouldn't answer my follow up call, never got back to me and had the nerve to call me back out to the same address again. I did not leave another estimate amd did not call back this time. :angry2:

Woke up this morning with a swollen paw. I've got a Locust thorn in it from a prune I did yesterday...:cry:

Honey locust do the same too me. I think the thorns have some kind of poisen on them. Every time I get poked it swells up and burns. It feels like it broke off in you but I have dug in it and nothing is in there.

Honey locust do the same too me. I think the thorns have some kind of poisen on them. Every time I get poked it swells up and burns. It feels like it broke off in you but I have dug in it and nothing is in there.

Had a friend who stepped on one a few years back while we were walking down to the river to go fishing. It went clean through his flip flop. Messed him up pretty bad. He missed work because of it.

Today? Today I took a personal and tended to my japanese maples outback and relaxed wit' the family :msp_biggrin:

But what is today, but tomorrow's yesterday? :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Demolished a 3 stem 60' birch over a house, did the stump, than a neighbor asked me to do a small spruce stump afterwards. Homeowner dragged all the brush to the chipper (part of the deal he is a friend of a friend) outta there in 3 hours. Easy 8 hundo! ;)

Well.....I ordered a husky 562 and 346 xp last Saturday morning.......they were supposed to be in yesterday......still waiting! Wanted to play with them all this week! Had some nice maple and Oak I wanted to break em in on! Hopefully they arrive tomorrow!;)

Had to do a temp emergency weld job on my grinder last night. A crack developed where the hydrolic cylinders attach to the pivot head weldment, because the rental place did a crappy repair weld job.

attachment.php

Sold this job today for $1275 for removing 2 purple plums, and a maple and grinding the stumps. Two of the three hang way over the house. HO gotta remove a section of the fence so i can grind the one stump. I dont know why people let trees get that big when they are only 3' from there house.

attachment.php

One Sugar Maple that fell on a house... Two Pine Stumps, Three White Pine Tops, Four loads to the wood lot, Five more customers to chase Down.... And a cemetary full of trees too do... Booked up till the end of July probably. :blob2::blob2:

VHTC

Some headcam footage from from the spring, just. Its actually been alright, as in busy enough, but I got a feeling things are going to dry up again now. Its an odd place.

Switch your youtube settings to HD

Treework, Spring, 2012, Victoria BC - YouTube

Another great vid! I love the views and nice speed lines. How you liking your new 201t?

Today I did a linden removal and trimmed two silvers. I got the go ahead today to start a job for wally world too.

Back