whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. MDS, how does the 4x4 bucket truck do in the snow. This snow today has me thinkin
We have a 4x4 bucket its got really crappy tires at the moment but its still a beast. Only thing I've noticed is normally air brake trucks like to lock up a lot easier in the snow then juice, you seem to have a bit more control avalible with juice. Could just be the crap I've driven maybe its gotten better in newer trucks? Idk

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mr. MDS, how does the 4x4 bucket truck do in the snow. This snow today has me thinkin

I don't really drive it in the snow much except for moving it out in the street to plow the yard etc., to be honest. A couple years ago I did get caught in a storm coming back on a late night. Was like the first snow and everybody was smashing into each other so the main roads were blocked. Wasn't an area I was too familiar with so ended up having to take back roads and go down what looked like a mountain towing the 11,500lb chipper in probably 6" of snow or better. I just put it in low range and went easy. It did fine but like no tree said, brakes probably wouldn't have been a good idea. But yeah, it's a tank. The thought of a 206k truck smashing into a tree sort of scares me though lol.

Sometimes now that I have the lifts I think that if I had it to do over again I would've just gotten a real short wheel based elevator truck (with a big engine of course). But then I remember I've never even owned a two wheel drive bucket, and it might be more of a pita than I think (even just moving it around to plow). The menacing factor of the four wheel is nice too. But the lifts are definitely a game changer when thinking about buckets now.

The one singular good thing about winter is being able to do 360's with the lift on somebody's yard without plywood on occasion. Other than that and a couple other things that probably slip my mind (as I look out the window here), I'd almost rather have my fingernails removed with vise grips than go out there.

We are still working though, just not today. One of my lifts and the Giant are sitting in a customer's 30' deep heated garage waiting for the next round of enjoyment as we speak.

I'd almost rather have my fingernails removed with vise grips than go out there.
waiting on a package (some tenex to splice a sling), supposed to be here this morning, not on the porch, run out to the mailbox, not there either, pisses me off, its like 19* outside, I was in shorts and a tee, cmon USPS

waiting on a package (some tenex to splice a sling), supposed to be here this morning, not on the porch, run out to the mailbox, not there either, pisses me off, its like 19* outside, I was in shorts and a tee, cmon USPS

It's a little different when you have to go out there and you know you're going to be staying out there all day. I'd rather be home brushing my Manson hair if I didn't have bills to pay lol.

The one singular good thing about winter is being able to do 360's with the lift on somebody's yard without plywood on occasion. Other than that and a couple other things that probably slip my mind (as I look out the window here), I'd almost rather have my fingernails removed with vise grips than go out there.

We are still working though, just not today. One of my lifts and the Giant are sitting in a customer's 30' deep heated garage waiting for the next round of enjoyment as we speak.

It's a little different when you have to go out there and you know you're going to be staying out there all day. I'd rather be home brushing my Manson hair if I didn't have bills to pay lol.
was out all day yesterday in the snow, and rain doing a removal, after the 97th trip to the burn pile I was calling for some hot soup, my skinny ass cant handle the cold very well

I don't really drive it in the snow much except for moving it out in the street to plow the yard etc., to be honest. A couple years ago I did get caught in a storm coming back on a late night. Was like the first snow and everybody was smashing into each other so the main roads were blocked. Wasn't an area I was too familiar with so ended up having to take back roads and go down what looked like a mountain towing the 11,500lb chipper in probably 6" of snow or better. I just put it in low range and went easy. It did fine but like no tree said, brakes probably wouldn't have been a good idea. But yeah, it's a tank. The thought of a 206k truck smashing into a tree sort of scares me though lol.

Sometimes now that I have the lifts I think that if I had it to do over again I would've just gotten a real short wheel based elevator truck (with a big engine of course). But then I remember I've never even owned a two wheel drive bucket, and it might be more of a pita than I think (even just moving it around to plow). The menacing factor of the four wheel is nice too. But the lifts are definitely a game changer when thinking about buckets
when I do upgrade my bucket , I was pretty set on the short wheel base elevator with a locking rear. It must be very nimble and turns tighter because it’s not 4x4. I just have some jobs that i really can’t do now because of the snow and I was wondering how good a 4x4 truck does in the snow over lawns and such if it’s relatively flat.
morning even better, how does the lift do in the snow?

when I do upgrade my bucket , I was pretty set on the short wheel base elevator with a locking rear. It must be very nimble and turns tighter because it’s not 4x4. I just have some jobs that i really can’t do now because of the snow and I was wondering how good a 4x4 truck does in the snow over lawns and such if it’s relatively flat.

Lift does pretty damn good in the snow as long as it’s relatively flat. Hills and ice are where it gets dicey. That said I’ve done some pretty impressive things with it. Definitely an awesome winter tree working tool in general. I still feel like I’m cheating a lot of days with that thing.

But to answer your first question, the 4x4 bucket should do fine on “relatively flat lawns” in the snow.

What r the temps like by you? Does it warm up enough to melt some in the afternoon sun or does it stay frozen? Previously what I've done if there is too much snow to get the bucket in (2 wheel drive) id grab a snow blower when we had a easy day and I could break away, go around and just clear my path. Depending on temps that can also help freeze the ground since snow actually insulates....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Lol, I can’t see you not pulling out a big ass revolver in that scenario.:laugh:
You feel like it...the woman is just crazy. I actually got paid upfront from her sister about four times what the job was worth to work over there. That's the only way I would do it. Crew leader said he was never going back there. That was it for him at that dingbats house.

Felt like a Gary Larsen cartoon today - quoting to remove a heavily leaning willow, right over the top of the egg packing & sorting shed at a free range chicken farm.

No sign of snow or frozen ground down this way either, unfortunately.

Back