What a piece of crap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the third time now I have not ever condemned or degraded or said anything negative about the "highly recommended tool" for any reason. I simply stated that I for my own personal reasons do not like plastic handled tools so please quit saying I am insulting yall's beloved fiskars.

Can one of you fanboys please quote me as to where I insulted your fiskars products, I don't consider the fact that I don't want on on account of a feature I don't like to be an insult just simply a personal preference.:rolleyes2:

Damn, a little testy so early in the morning! All anyone in my opinion has been trying to do is SUGGEST you go with different style product. I don't see any of us actually condemning you for your love of wood type handles. Many of us SUGGESTED the Fiskars because of our personal experience with them. Your responses have been both snide and sarcastic and your definitely coming across with bad attitude all the way around. Personally I love a wood handle, but I can't find any that are durable enough to withstand my many many errors.

My post (I don't remember ranting) is strictly based on the handle breaking, the dull part is easily fixed. There is no way the handle in this thing should have broken like that I have had many cheap handles and never had on break on the second swing that's what my post was about. I didn't ask for advice on a better product or anything else and am very fimilar with the good cheap durable theory and most of the time I do spend more on better things. However this was bought as a keep in the truck type deal which as I said before means it could get left behind or stolen most any time which is why I don't want to spend more in this case. If this was going to be used at home with any frequency I would have most certainly went with a better tool. The whole issue here is there is way too much assuming going on and it's getting ridiculous.

On the note of old tools I am always on the lookout for old tools I like to buy them and restore them to their former glory. I have several old tools that I use on a daily basis at my real job and on the weekends and they are vastly superior to anything you can buy new.

So there ya go, problem solved as soon as you can find a used old hatchet head. In the meantime tractor supply may or may not totally replace it for you, or you might have to get another handle on your own.

I actually agree with you in a way, on another subject, but I hit the same brick wall.

Some years back I got the bug to get an old "chicago typewriter". Just wanted one, that's all. nostalgia and who knows one day might have come in handy.. Old heavy but reliable. Fun. Very well built, I've handled one and checked the machining, just top notch. Deal is, I waited too long! New (fully functional as intended) and close to affordable are only available to dealers and governmental "superior approved citizens" and used they cost like half a year's pay for me, plus wait and government BS fee. Unobtanium for me then, just ain't gonna happen. I can get more modern and less expensive alternate type 2nd amendment tools that function quite well..but it isn't what I want, old school, well made steel parts, with a wooden handle(s).

Damn, a little testy so early in the morning! All anyone in my opinion has been trying to do is SUGGEST you go with different style product. I don't see any of us actually condemning you for your love of wood type handles. Many of us SUGGESTED the Fiskars because of our personal experience with them. Your responses have been both snide and sarcastic and your definitely coming across with bad attitude all the way around. Personally I love a wood handle, but I can't find any that are durable enough to withstand my many many errors.

I thought I had been quite polite with most of my responses, matter of interpretation I guess. :msp_confused: I certainly don't want to come away from this with any enemies on here about an axe. I just get the feeling of being called an idiot for not getting a fiskars and preferring wooden handled tools.

So at this point lets all agree to disagree and move on with our lives, ill update again with what ever happens when I go to return it and we can all have a relaxing sunday afternoon deal? :msp_thumbsup:

Last edited:
I thought I had been quite polite with most of my responses, matter of interpretation I guess. :msp_confused: I certainly don't want to come away from this with any enemies on here about an axe. I just get the feeling of being called an idiot for not getting a fiskars and preferring wooden handled tools.

Well, if you are an idiot for that, then so am I. Am thinking about naming my splitter Fiskars Shmiskars!

Now for a disclaimer: for years and years everyone said I should get a computer. I adamantly refused until one day I thought I would try one, and by golly, the rest is history. So it IS possible for me to change my mind, just highly unlikely.:bang:? Who knows?

Ted

So at this point lets all agree to disagree and move on with our lives, ill update again with what ever happens when I go to return it and we can all have a relaxing sunday afternoon deal? :msp_thumbsup:

Absolutely man!

I too tend to like the "old fashioned" stuff.;) Guess Thats why I like the older, mostly magnesium saws, over the mostly plastic ones of today. I bought this ax off ebay back in 2008, was pretty cheap. Evansville Defender is what is stamped in the head. I use it mostly for driving wedges when felling. Also use it to hack apart big rounds out in the woods, that don't cleanly come apart with the sledge & wedge. Maybe they don't make wood handles like they used to. Cause if anyone can break one, it would be me.:msp_mad: It has held up great so far. That being said, next time I use it, probably miss and send the head off to wild blue yonder.:laugh:

100_0035.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

You need to get my grandfather's axe, best axe ever - the handle has only been replaced three times and the head once, at it's still as good as new :laugh:

Yep, everything is open for interpretation. Especially written text. Since we can't see you or your expressions it's easy to misinterpret someones intent.

Heck, I have had some tell me I'm mean locally! Not that I am mind you, or at least I don't think I am. I can be a bit ornery at tines though. It's all a matter of interpretation. Anyway, one thing to remember: even the best of friends have differences of opinions. That doesn't mean they will discontinue being the best of friends. In the end, an axe is still an axe regardless of the price or the type handle. So no worries here.

I don't know about the relaxing thing though. I'm going out shortly to split some more wood to complete my second Holz Hausen.

I'll wish y'all luck in returning the hatchet. If they won't take it back maybe see if they will give you a new better handle. (free of charge)

Hey sorry for the "assumption".....won't be the last time I make a azz out of myself ether:hmm3grin2orange: Since you didn't explain those marks it sure didn't look good for ya. Maybe it's just me, but every single wooden handled ax I have owned gets loose....even the Marbles hatchet I picked up brand new. I agree, nothing nicer in look and feel than (your own)good wood. But for me I have switched to plastic and just get my wood "fix" on my gunstocks.

Last edited:
OhioGregg, that looks like a good axe, just look at that grain on the handle. But alas I'm having a problem with your opinion on this matter, after all you do use Polans so I'll bet the axe is a huge improvement..
Couldn't resist upping the post count of this thread.

Forever Stihl.....:D

While we are all here on the topic of wood handles, where can a man find a good quality wood handle?

While we are all here on the topic of wood handles, where can a man find a good quality wood handle?

First off, you have to know your wood -- hickory is best for axes, ash or hickory for shovels and other long-handled tools.

A lot of handles in discount stores (or your local Ace) are tropical hardwoods which may or may not hold up as well.

Second, look at the grain -- you want an even width to the rings, not to wide or narrow, and without a sudden change in ring width

google hickory handle, top link is a well known company, I know some hickory from this farm went thataway some years back before I worked here..I've cut up one now and will be doing more from that exact same patch pretty soon now.

some site sponsors offer replacement handles

you can always make your own as well, lotta youtube vids out there

You don 't necessarily have to use hickory, just hickory is the most commonly used

OhioGregg, that looks like a good axe, just look at that grain on the handle. But alas I'm having a problem with your opinion on this matter, after all you do use Polans so I'll bet the axe is a huge improvement..
Couldn't resist upping the post count of this thread.

Forever Stihl.....:D

Ha, Your a funny guy! Its not nice you laughing. My 4000, 4200, 5200 get the idea your laughing at them! Now, if you apologize to them, like I know your going too....:D

Apologies to OP for the side track of your post.

Gregg,

Ha, Your a funny guy! Its not nice you laughing. My 4000, 4200, 5200 get the idea your laughing at them! Now, if you apologize to them, like I know your going too....:D

Apologies to OP for the side track of your post.

Gregg,

This thread has been side tracked much worse.

Latest posts

Back