What are you guys doing per day??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to clear a grand a day here too. It just seems like a nice number. Of course that doesn't always happen, but that's generally the goal.

Tree guys were supposed to make some bucks, the way it used to be around here anyway. I can remember steering a friend onto a $4500 tree (he did it on the side, with no ins. and a borrowed big saw too) probably 20 years ago. Seems like these days some ####### would've probably put $1200 to $1800 on it. Sad really.

Calling for 18 inches give or take. Coast is gonna get brutalized. Check and see if there are any hydro shops open for the storm, that hose you can make in 2 minutes. Anyway, yeah, its a ####show here too.... My girls parent are headed home to Danbury CT right now from Boston I hope somehow her mother gets separated, and only her father makes it back.

Trust me, I ruptured one of these lines for the steering cylinder before. Not just any old parts store makes them, due to the flat faced O-ring deal. No biggie though.

Danbury huh, thats not too far from me. I used to work in new milford quite a bit, right near there. Good luck with the wolves anyway! :cheers:

Trust me, I ruptured one of these lines for the steering cylinder before. Not just any old parts store makes them, due to the flat faced O-ring deal. No biggie though.

Danbury huh, thats not too far from me. I used to work in new milford quite a bit, right near there. Good luck with the wolves anyway! :cheers:[/QUOTE)

Yeah, big trees! with all the stately mansions between there and Ridgefield, I don't see how you guys aren't making 3600 a day LOL!

Danbury huh, thats not too far from me. I used to work in new milford quite a bit, right near there. Good luck with the wolves anyway! :cheers:[/QUOTE)

Yeah, big trees! with all the stately mansions between there and Ridgefield, I don't see how you guys aren't making 3600 a day LOL!

A little too far for us to service.. even new milford is a good half hour. I had a customer in ridgefield though, seemed like it took an hour and a half to get down there. Stuck up here in the litchfield/torrington area mostly, in a race to the bottom, with the rest of the takedown losers. Lot of rich, but cheap bastards in the big L! I hope they can all feel the love too! hahahah..

A little too far for us to service.. even new milford is a good half hour. I had a customer in ridgefield though, seemed like it took an hour and a half to get down there. Stuck up here in the litchfield/torrington area mostly, in a race to the bottom, with the rest of the takedown losers. Lot of rich, but cheap bastards in the big L! I hope they can all feel the love too! hahahah..

Outstanding... Main street in Rigefield is off the chain. I wouldn't step foot on one of those properties for less than 2K. Too afraid I'd tear up turf, or scratch a driveway with a branch, and get sued for a fresh lawn/hot top. Slow and steady at those plantations massah...... LOL

Lots of figures.. some not sure how you get what you say.. others can't see how you survive on what you say..

Oh well..

All I know is prices are very different.. and that may account for some of it.

As an example, gasoline here is almost $5.00/Gal right now..

Outstanding... Main street in Rigefield is off the chain. I wouldn't step foot on one of those properties for less than 2K. Too afraid I'd tear up turf, or scratch a driveway with a branch, and get sued for a fresh lawn/hot top. Slow and steady at those plantations massah...... LOL

You got that right! I grew up in the Danbury area and did a lot of work in Ridgefield. I worked at some incredible houses there as well as New Caanan, Greenwich, Redding, and Wilton. I definitely did meet some HO's who were really particular about keeping everything perfect.

Same thing here in California. I'm gonna prune 9 large pines and a bunch of Queen palms at a mansion in Beverly Hills next week. It might be the biggest house at which I have ever worked. It's owned by a jeweler.

The prices out here though are surprisingly quite a bit lower due to the high influx of illegals and hacks. It seems I usually get 500-800 a day for 2 guys, a truck and chipper, though I do not have all the big toys that many on AS have.

Here's the deal

I'm in N. Alabama. With the number of plant closures and layoffs, everybody is a "tree guy". So the prices have steadily declined. I am fairly well equipped (small wheel loader, bucket truck, stump grinder, grapple truck) and have low overhead- a good day for me would be $900-$1000 but my average would probably be $725-$800 a day (that is a TRUE average) but frankly, you have to continually bust your butt to do it. I think that the guys that talk about making $2,000-$3,000 per day with one crew are full of crap. Yes, you might make that sometimes but not as a consistent average. I did a large storm project a few years ago for a small town. I had 3 bucket trucks with a operator each and me (acting as manager), so a total of 4 guys and 3 bucket trucks. We worked from 7am to 5:30 pm every day. The "best" day we had, we grossed $7,700 and our average was around $3,800 a day. That was incredible income and I recognize it as such- I may never be able to do that again.

Now, that being said, I also know that $2500 in New York city equals about $900 here in Alabama when you consider overhead/taxes/labor/etc.. Perhaps in Colorado it is similar.

to do it. I think that the guys that talk about making $2,000-$3,000 per day with one crew are full of crap. Yes, you might make that sometimes but not as a consistent average. I did a large storm project a few years ago for a small town.

As an average quite likely true, especially on the $3K side of the figure. I know that I don't average $3K per day for 5 days a week for one crew all year long - love it if I could.. There are days that I can make that, there are also days that I make half that (or less if something messes up... had one 3 day job this past summer where we had a small misshap backing dump into a car... after a 3 day job, paying disposal fees, salary, etc.. was lucky if I broke even.. (forget about making any profit on that one) .. fortunately that does not happen every week!). But then there are maintenance, breakdowns, etc..

Now, that being said, I also know that $2500 in New York city equals about $900 here in Alabama when you consider overhead/taxes/labor/etc.. Perhaps in Colorado it is similar.

Agreed.. and some on here are not in the U.S., although I think most are. So you have foreign dollar values, exchange rates, different costs, taxes, etc to contend with in different areas. So $2500 here may not be $2500 in New York or $2500 in Alabama.. Realistically it is all dependent upon where you are and your overhead.

Unfortunately the lowballers are everywhere, and have hit most of us, so we all have to contend with that. Really, what it comes down to is what is your over head (salary for guys, taxes, office expenses, fuel, insurance, etc..).. once all that is paid for .. what do you have left to put away for the company and pay yourself. You need a target for that, and if you are hitting it then you are doing ok, regardless of what you make per day, average or otherwise.

Frankly it does not matter if you charge $900 per day, if that is all it takes to cover your costs and make what you need.. then I guess for your area it might be ok.

Last edited:
thanks for all you guys input on this posting!! Some of you seem very distrusting of each other, but I guess there are a lot of cocky guys BS'ing everyone. TreeClimber57 said it well, make a goal for what you need and go for it. Some of us are in more expensive markets. Local market prices will always ensure that you stay honest in the long run. Good luck on all those new goals for the year!!

I'm in N. Alabama. With the number of plant closures and layoffs, everybody is a "tree guy". So the prices have steadily declined. I am fairly well equipped (small wheel loader, bucket truck, stump grinder, grapple truck) and have low overhead- a good day for me would be $900-$1000 but my average would probably be $725-$800 a day (that is a TRUE average) but frankly, you have to continually bust your butt to do it. I think that the guys that talk about making $2,000-$3,000 per day with one crew are full of crap. Yes, you might make that sometimes but not as a consistent average. I did a large storm project a few years ago for a small town. I had 3 bucket trucks with a operator each and me (acting as manager), so a total of 4 guys and 3 bucket trucks. We worked from 7am to 5:30 pm every day. The "best" day we had, we grossed $7,700 and our average was around $3,800 a day. That was incredible income and I recognize it as such- I may never be able to do that again.

Why is it hard to believe that a good crew can pull in 3500 a day in the summertime? I don't own the company I work for, I'm a lackey, but I get paid well, get great bennies, retirement, and insurance. In return, I do my best everyday, as does the rest of the guys on our crew.

Our advertising is great, our salesmen are top notch, and our reputation is one of the best in the entire state. We're accredited, and the quality of our work keeps bringing us back to rich clients.

I'm actually surprised at all the low daily intakes posted. ####, right now as we're approaching January, my crews daily goal and intake has been 2500.

So for the rest of you to call bull#### about the "blowhard liars," wake up and get a clue, you're doing something wrong, or you're in the wrong business. :heart:

Last edited:
Why is it hard to believe that a good crew can pull in 3500 a day in the summertime?

Just out of interest how big are the crews you have. I expect a 3 or 4 man crew to bring in more than a 2 man crew. But.. I also expect them to produce more in the same timeframe. And, the associated charge would be higher as well.

Just like location, what anybody considers a crew is a factor in price charged. Equipment, men, etc.. All about cost and overhead.. and what you have to make.

Having said that, at least here, our crews work longer days in summer time.. which means more work done.. but also higher costs (more labor for guys, etc).

So .. at end of day what is the real profit.?

Last edited:
Just out of interest how big are the crews you have.

We have three crews, one has 4-5 guys, the other has 4 guys, and the third has often times 2, sometimes 3.

The two big crews do 2000-3500 everyday throughout the entire year, we have 1 or 2 of those guys break off in the summer to do plant health care, and the smaller rag tag crew goes around doing close to 800 a day, but they go around doing bull#### gutter cleaning, firewood delivery, and fixer uppers as well.

We have three crews, one has 4-5 guys, the other has 4 guys, and the third has often times 2, sometimes 3.

The two big crews do 2000-3500 everyday throughout the entire year, we have 1 or 2 of those guys break off in the summer to do plant health care, and the smaller rag tag crew goes around doing close to 800 a day, but they go around doing bull#### gutter cleaning, firewood delivery, and fixer uppers as well.

So what do you charge to clean gutters..$800.00? With all the people on your team I can see having to pull 3g a day but find it hard to believe you will chase bs jobs like gutters,firewood,and fixer uppers.

Why is it hard to believe that a good crew can pull in 3500 a day in the summertime? I don't own the company I work for, I'm a lackey, but I get paid well, get great bennies, retirement, and insurance. In return, I do my best everyday, as does the rest of the guys on our crew.

Our advertising is great, our salesmen are top notch, and our reputation is one of the best in the entire state. We're accredited, and the quality of our work keeps bringing us back to rich clients.

I'm actually surprised at all the low daily intakes posted. ####, right now as we're approaching January, my crews daily goal and intake has been 2500.

So for the rest of you to call bull#### about the "blowhard liars," wake up and get a clue, you're doing something wrong, or you're in the wrong business. :heart:

OK, what is the name of the company you work for? Let's just start there. Thanks.

So what do you charge to clean gutters..$800.00? With all the people on your team I can see having to pull 3g a day but find it hard to believe you will chase bs jobs like gutters,firewood,and fixer uppers.

We charge 75-100 for a gutter cleaning, depending on the house of course. In spring and fall, it is easy for us to do 5-10 a day. They take about 15 minutes on average to do. Instead of having climbers clean gutters, we send two other guys who work part time, or aren't into climbing.

Firewood delivery is obviously a bigtime winter project. In the summertime we deliver mulch from all our tub ground waste wood. We charge by the yard, and believe it or not make a #### ton of mulch deliveries. Again, we have one or two guys doing this. They also go around doing some bush trimming, or some other bs landscaping crap our salesmen pitched.

Sometimes they spend half a day fixing some ruts in a lawn, or fixing up something that was missed by the other crews (which is quite rare).

Our two large crews stick basically to pruning, removals, cabling, and in the summer plant health care.

We have two crews (sometimes three) most of the guys here have families, and our bosses aren't a bunch of greedy, ignorant rednecks.

Depending on what's going on, it's anywhere from $800 - $3,000 per day for a crew of no more than 3 guys.

Latest posts

Back