What are you guys doing per day??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mispoke!

Ouch!

I guess word of my 96 Dodge has reached Colorado.

My bad on that one...I only meant that some companies where every piece of equipment is beat to hell and their pick up truck looks like they run a junk business....that is the people i am talking about. Nothin' wrong with driving an older truck. I just got rid of my 89'Dodge a few years ago...nice truck!

I learned long ago in different industrys that to a point, you cant judge how well a guys doing or what kind of job he does by how new or shiny his gear is. Its like trying to judge a builder by what cordless drill hes got or how good a mechanic is by the expense of his tools.
Some guys will see 15k in the bank at end of year and think "thats money off my morgage or money for my kids education"
While another guy will think "thats a nice box body for my truck"
Fast forward 10 years and if both have a couple bad years, one guy is less likely to loose his house or have to pull his kids from school.

Some guys are more gear orientated and some are more about the take home money.

I like both!!
Thats why I buy used, usually, I can take something old, turn it into something just as good as a new one. My 83' F-350, for example, paid 2500, newer dump body with scissor lift, all 3 sides fold down, 8.5 Western Pro with wings and a 6.9 diesel, re-did all the fuel system, charging system and cooling. Needs a new cab, have one, bought it for 500, mint condition same year. I will have about 1500 into it when the cab is on and its painted, will look and run as good as a brand new one, that would cost me about 40,000!
That L-700 (I put L-7000 in another post) cost me 1400! have about 500 into it, ready to go, just ad decals!

Agreed.. and I tend to be very gear orientated.

But, it is not about buying a new truck because your existing one is 5 years old.. assuming it works well and does not cost a lot for maintenance.. or even 10 years old for that matter.

It is about buying new equipment that you don't already have, focusing on the equipment that will make you more efficient, and better able to do the job.

Simply buying the same over because you want a new one does not work for me.

Just spent an hour reading this thread. Although its a tough topic to discuss because of all the variables, it was interesting. It seems like we don't have good ol fashioned heated debates anymore.

Just spent an hour reading this thread. Although its a tough topic to discuss because of all the variables, it was interesting. It seems like we don't have good ol fashioned heated debates anymore.

I for one am glad you did, it reminds of the good old day;s. BTW, I re-read it too,,I forgot how nice I was ,
Jeff :rock:

I work in the same market (front range of Colorado) as you and target is $72 a man hour.

We are close to this rate but honestly, we as an industry need to wake up....a mechanic or plumber charges at least $75.......and I am sure they do not have near the equipment we do.....and for the mechanic who has a nice shop they are charging $85 or more.....

So, we need to be charging more for our services.

If we hit are marks everyday we are around 2000 for a 4 man crew

Two guys on payroll, insurance (trucks, liability, comp), fuel, and misc overhead you're talking $500 a day in terms of cost.
If the tax man is taking his cut you have to shoot for 1500 a day. At least. You won't make it every time, but you have to try.

Just me and one guy that's it . I do what I can in 8/9 hours and come back if needed ..... Pay him and maybe make 4K a week to slice up for bills and myself .... Been doing that off and on now and love it .... I will just buy better tools to ease us into more .

I was making about $1400 per day here in Maine. We were very busy in the summer and turning tree jobs down.

I also run a small crew, usually myself and 1-2 other guys. On bigger jobs I will bring in another climber and groundie to make up a 4 man crew. TC101: sounds like your doing good. That is the type of business model I try to run. Keep overhead low, nose to the grindstone and make a fair living. I wish I had enough work to bring in 4k every week but the work load just isn't there yet. That's the hardest part for me in this business, its feast or famine. But im not bitchen, and im learning every day.. I love what I do and I know things will get bigger and better as time goes on. Just to throw it out there, $1000 a day would be nice but I tend to make less on big jobs than I do if I stack up 2-3 smaller jobs in a day. That's with the bucket/chip combo and 2-3 guys. I love the days when I get 3 $400-$600 jobs and theres no big wood to haul out, not making 2 dump runs etc..

Sounds like you have a pretty good set-up rtsims
Thanks. I have good equip and a good rep around here, but im not near as busy as I want to be. Only working 2 days this week and 3 next week. Need to shell out some money for marketing but its hard to do when my business income pays for my wife and I's personal debt. Its all good though, its moving forward just not at a speedy pace.

Thanks. I have good equip and a good rep around here, but im not near as busy as I want to be. Only working 2 days this week and 3 next week. Need to shell out some money for marketing but its hard to do when my business income pays for my wife and I's personal debt. Its all good though, its moving forward just not at a speedy pace.

True! I know all about how hard it is trying to make a go at it in the tree care industry. What you running for equipment ?

Wow i was pleasantly surprised to see this post brought back up in my email. I was the one who originally started the post and man that was a long time ago. (2010!!) Its crazy how things change over the years. It seems like it is becoming harder and harder to make a good living doing tree work, but I think there is a ton of room for innovation. Teamtree I agree with you that we should be charging more, but then again we have to bid against each other and unless we all do it, the people with lower prices tend to win that game. Someone was telling me the other day about tree work in Fort Collins, CO and they were saying that most of the larger companies have somewhat of a typical rate for services that was much higher than here in Denver. Now of course that could be just hearsay, but I thought it would be pretty cool. Maybe we could unionize and demand higher rates....just kidding that would be a horrible idea. When I originally posted this I was running a 4 man crew and we were doing around $2000 per day. But honestly ever since then we have diverged from the typical tree model and we have seen some great results. Lets face it, nobody likes to go work their tails off every day with only one or two other guys....it gets boring! What we have done for the last few years is continue to make our one crew larger and larger, while also upping the daily money goals. Most companies just start new crews (which if we were honest is just another way to put a notch on our professional belts!!). One of my climbers was telling me the other day about a well respected company in town he used to work for and when I asked him how many climbers they run every day, he told me 4. But he said they also run 4 different crews with one climber/one groundsman with a goal of $1000-1200 per day. Guys let me tell you, thats a crappy way to work all day every day. So 8 guys have a goal of $4000-5000 per day, which is great but thats a lot of equipments, a lot of diesel and a lot of expenses! Why not do it a different way!! We now run 4 climbers every day, 2 groundsman and they all stay on the same crew and just go from job to job as quickly as possible, while still doing a good job of course. Our goal is $4200 per day, but I am only running 6 guys (sometimes 7), 2-3 trucks go out each morning(instead of 4-6 in a normal scenario) and they all get to have fun and joke and work together every day.
The funny thing is that I don't make any more profit(percentage wise) than I used to back a few years ago, but I guess seeing things grow and having the opportunity to provide more people with work is just fun....well at least most days!!

True! I know all about how hard it is trying to make a go at it in the tree care industry. What you running for equipment ?
97 GMC C7500 bucket/chip combo, 99 Vermeer 935, carlton 2500-4, dump trailer & 2004 cummins.

101: I hope this year I can pick up more commercial work as well as gov work. Right now i would say im 90% residential.

Its funny i read post's like the one above from alpine and others about how they are super busy and need more climbers etc. . I have the opposite problem, im young and hungry and want more work NOW. Patience is a virtue, one that i don't have. I will be a happy man the day i can run one 3 man crew full time. Is that too much to ask?

I love working for a big company no worry about work,equipment problems,estimate BS,people not paying, just punch in do your job and go home. We've worked 40-45 hours all winter long sometimes Saturday too trimming city trees in subdivisions and for the State trimming trees along the highway. Plus still doing residential and commercial jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back