What Compares to a Roper?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HickoryNick

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here's a different spin to the ole "What saw should I buy?" question....

What current saw do does everyone think best compares to the old Craftsman Roper saws from the 1970's. Let's say one of the Craftsman 3.7cu 18" 917.353 series....

The one I have is a heckl of a saw. Can't tell you how many tree's it's fell. I'll put it this way, it kept a wood fire burning in our home from 1978 till now. It's been beaten, torn apart and put back together again several times, had trees fallen on it and wired back together, and it still powers through wood. The only problem with it now is the pull rope goofing up and it not starting right.

Anyways, I know they don't make them like they used to, but technology has changed. So what would you buy, or could you buy to replace it with a $400 budget?

:popcorn:

HickoryNick

With as good as luck as you had with that saw, if I was you I would go to Ebay and find me another Roper- Craftsman. They are good old saws. You can probably get one for very little and you would still have your old one for parts if there were any good parts left. If you can't find one, I would check out a new Stihl MS260 :chainsaw:

Last edited:
blackoak said:
With as good as luck as you had with that saw, if I was you I would go to Ebay and find me another Roper- Craftsman. They are good old saws. You can probably get one for very little and you would still have your old one for parts if there were any good parts left. If you can't find one, I would check out a new Stihl MS260 :chainsaw:

Thanks blackoak. I actually already have another for parts. They are both so worn out that it doesn't do me much good. The carbs are starting to dry out and are causing a bit of trouble. I haven't found any rebuild kits in a looooong time. These saws have had their day. I'll keep tinkering so that I have a back up saw (or a saw that I'm not that worried to put in bad situations) but I need a new primary saw. Something with a bit less tinkering and less frustrating when I need it to be reliable.

Latest posts

Back