What do you all think of these spikes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys these are the ones I've been learning with. I picked them up on scambay for cheap. Look structurally sound, no breaks, no obvious weld or repairs. I threw new leather at them tried to make them safe as they can be etc, but I was wondering if you all could look at the gaffs themselves and see what you all think? Do they look in good shape? Long enough? May need sharpening, I'm not sure. Have a peek and thanks
J.D.

I keep mine pointier than that seems to let me "step" in instead of having to "kick" in.If they are replaceable maybe look into some new ones.It varies with climbers some like long and some like short.Depends on what yer comfortable with.Since they all damage the trees guess it dont matter how "big" a hole they make.IMO(im sure i will get corrected if i am)

Big time need Sharp, look mighty short, is that all the leather you got?

That's not much for padding. How long are you going to be in them? Even my old Klein "L" pads gave me more than what you have, and that wasn't enough. Aren't the tops going to move around on you a lot?

Those gaffs look a whole lot like a skinned up belly, chin, and nose to me. At least. Assuming you have a good safety. Any blood stains on the old leather?

Sorry, Diesel, I got a little carried away. I'm no expert. Wait and see what the Pro's say.

Yea sorry i was focused on the gaffs didnt look at the leathers.They are missin the L pads that wrap around yer leg ill re-edit this post with pics of mine.They are alcoa aluminum.

hooksresized2.jpg

hooksresized1.jpg

Last edited:
They may just be wore out, they appear to have been US gov't surplus from the US Forest Service, I would guess that they are tree climbers not pole? Anyhow, they are brooks, so I would be really lucky to find a new set of gaffs. Brooks is no more and Baileys and Sherril have quit carrying old parts. Somebody said American Arborist supply might have some new gaffs for Brooks? They are replaceable, don't know if I could amke ones from anything else fit? What do you think?

woodbutcher44 said:
BUT IN BAD NEED OF A FILE OR GRINDER
File yes, Grinder NEVER. I can honestly say i've never seen gaffs that short or that dull. Heck, I broke the end off a gaff last spring and it still didn't look that bad. I can't believe you were even able to sink them into a tree. I'd have thrown those out a long time ago.

Okay, it makes me feel better that there is something wrong with the gaffs honestly. I've had a hard time kicking out too often. They won't sink in at all when you work the backside of a lean. I am not in the business at the moment and I wanted to pick up a basic set and learn the how to do it. I figured I can always replace the gaffs and if I get into tree work, I'll onl;y use them for takedowns and I can get a nice set once I make enough money to justify it. This is teh main reason why I haven't gone any higher than I'm afraid to fall. I just didn't feel secure in them for some reason. I can stay stuck to the spar but I felt liek if I started up a saw or started working, I might get hurt.

They look wore out, if the gaffs are replacable I would do that instead of sharpening, they look like they need a lot of sharpening to get them even, when you sharpen spurs it is basically a touch-up with file, that set needs major work.

Larry

poll

looks like poll spikes not tree spikes...ive done both tree work and now work for verizon and went to there climbing school...i had a hard time i was kicking in bending the knees and was not aloud to use a lanyard and had to go up 18 feet...why i dont know just how you are surposed to poll climb...now i just use a ladder for the polls much easyer....but get new spikes and better padding..also if you dont feel safe the heck with how much they cost one trip to the hospital cuz you climb on crap gafs is alot mroe the new gafs

In Hawaii everyone I know uses pole gaffs for tree climbing, including me. 20 years ago I made the mistake of buying tree gaffs and quickly switched them. Way too long for climbing palms and the thin barked trees we have here. I do have a new set of Stringer-Brooks replacement pole gaffs. Only problem is it is in a storage container that I won't be opening until my new house gets finished sometime in January 2007.

That sucks. I like the climbers, I just need new spurs for them and pads. I am somewhat ignorant about climbing with spurs, so I didn't know that the pads were mandatory for safety. I feel secure that they won't slip off, but if the set is so bad then no doubt that's why I had a problem climbing with them. Thanks for the advice. If anyone else has a set of striger brooks tree gaff replacements they want to part with, PM me. I def. want to fix these. These are the type where the spur is held in with the little drive link rivet and that looks like all that holds it. Thanks for any ideas,
J.D.

I love my Brooks. As others mentioned-you need pads and one of those gaffs appears very short....but the other one doesn't. For those that have never used Brooks climbers they have a noticeable different gaff profile than Bucks, Kleins or Bashlins.(which all differ form each other but the way BrooKs are shaped and sharpened is considerable different from the others)

I wonder if it could be the picture playing tricks on you...as far as I can tell, both gaffs are about the same length. How does one measure these anyway? IIRC, the Brooks gaffs were supposed to be 2-21/4" when new. I should also tell you all what I'm mostly going to be climbing. Laurel Oaks and water oaks, some pine, some live oak. Some of these guys have moderate to thick bark. Then of course there is the odd magnolia or pop ash that has almost smooth bark.

Brooks pole gaffs are 1.5 inches new -the "tree gaffs" are longer-a little over 2 inches. The gaff length is measured from the point to the base of the juncture of the gaff flat and the rest of the gaff(Gaff flat is the underside/iron side)

Back