What do you do to prevent your saws being stolen??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D&B Mack

D&B Mack

Sawin Wit It!
I wouldn't call 'em trained by any stretch! My daughter raised them, and now has gone off to college. There were four but we got rid of two, leaving a tom and a female. They're a serious PITA - I cannot leave anything out that I am working on or they will get into it and knock everything over, steal my gloves and parts, etc. If I leave the barn door open they'll get into the rafters and knock stuff down into my shop, or fall into it themselves. Did I mention they're clumsy?

However, they are pretty alert to things that should not be on the property, and they intimidate the heck out of some folks! One time when the UPS guy came back up to his truck there were four of them inside - they were a little smaller then but still....

attachment.php

An old friend where I grew up in western PA had Peacocks. You couldn't get within 500 feet of the house without the 'alarms' going off. Regardless of the time of day.

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
Guineas are a good alarm system also. They're always making noise if something is around that's not normal to the yard. A friends uncle had about 20 and when we pulled up in his driveway they would start that little noise they make and get louder until the dogs barked.

scallywag
I wouldn't call 'em trained by any stretch! My daughter raised them, and now has gone off to college. There were four but we got rid of two, leaving a tom and a female. They're a serious PITA - I cannot leave anything out that I am working on or they will get into it and knock everything over, steal my gloves and parts, etc. If I leave the barn door open they'll get into the rafters and knock stuff down into my shop, or fall into it themselves. Did I mention they're clumsy?

However, they are pretty alert to things that should not be on the property, and they intimidate the heck out of some folks! One time when the UPS guy came back up to his truck there were four of them inside - they were a little smaller then but still....

attachment.php

What's my boss doing at your place??

BigDaddyR

BigDaddyR

Addicted to ArboristSite

attachment.php

Nice looking guard bird.

farmboss45

farmboss45

ArboristSite Operative
Mine used to sit on top of a cabnet in the shop, but after I got more than a few a them and redid my shop, I built a large shelving unit with an enclosed shelf for the saws. It has a padlock on it, I figure, out of site, out of mind. It keeps the honest ones out anyway, my shop has only one window, and you would have to be pretty tall to see in it. It is locked at all times.

mitch95100

mitch95100

Saw Nut
We shoot so much that we have signs that say "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ACCIDENTS... and there are bullet holes in it

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

Sagetown

Sagetown

Farmer and a STIHL
I use saws nobody would want, and my shop is such a mess an intruder might well get lost for weeks. That and the big dog (who has never been tied or leashed a day in her life), and the guard turkeys.

I think of it as a multi-pronged defense system.

I had a large Bronze Tom Turkey that run loose on the farm. Every time he found me working underneath my vehicles, he'd stand on my legs. The only time he could show superiority over me. :hmm3grin2orange:

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
I had a large Bronze Tom Turkey that run loose on the farm. Every time he found me working underneath my vehicles, he'd stand on my legs. The only time he could show superiority over me. :hmm3grin2orange:
LOL - this tom and I don't really like each other much. He often thinks he's chasing me, which is a laugh. Sometimes when I've had enough I show him what chasing means.....!

fearofpavement

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Got two noisy guineas, have two dogs, one is a german shepherd (black) and the other is of unknown origin (50lbs) and climbs out of the fenced area whenever he feels like it. My shop is windowless and I keep it locked at night. (it's all metal). We usually have a loaded rifle leaning against the door jamb. (for varmints) and all occupants of the house own and shoot firearms. We use an AK-47 airsoft rifle on visiting dogs and cats and raise the ante if that is ineffective. We have very irregular patterns (I often work from home) so it would be hard for someone to know if someone is home or not. We haven't had a problem "yet" but with all the copper thieves and other drug addicts prowling around we don't take things for granted. If someone got into my shop and stole saws, they would be stupid... but they often are.

CRE1992

CRE1992

ArboristSite Operative
This is what prevents my chainsaws from being stolen, aside from being locked up. She is 10 years old, weighs 65lbs, but don't let that fool you she chased a large adult black bear last summer in Upstate NY and made it run like a little baby.

B7F42F78-36AE-42BF-91E9-AF9EBBBCB7C0-8930-00000D8F395F3DD3_zpsaeb2df1d.jpg

bryanr2

bryanr2

Addicted to ArboristSite
My cuttin buddy is very serious about the woodstove (his favorite place in the house). I'd hate for somebody to be unfortunate enough to get between him and his routine.

lambs

lambs

Stihl crazy after all these years
I keep them cabled to the workbench posts, on a shelf all by themselves, and padlocked. I hide the boltcutters and there are no windows in my basement. Maybe it will frustrate them enough.

The problem in my development lately has been backpack thieves. They are young people and walk around with a back pack as though they are heading for school. Then they kick in a back door and take anything that is small enough to fit in a backpack, and go walking on down the street. They eventually got caught. Not too worried about them packing out a chainsaw, but they could always return later if they saw the equipment I guess.

I used to live in another part of town that had a similar problem. No lie, they broke in on a woman who competed in axe and hatchet throwing. One of the idiots jumped out a second story window trying to get away from her when she came after him with a hatchet. He broke his ankle when he landed. Heck of a lot better than what she was about to do to him. I think the other one just surrendered at that point.

casual cutter

casual cutter

ArboristSite Operative
I would imagine that the vast majority of thieves target homes when nobody is home, so making it look like someone is always home is probably one of the best deterrents. That, and I don't unnecessarily advertise my valuables, keeping them somewhat securely locked up and out of sight.

Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

Supreme Saw Whoreder
Thieves have been known to respond to Craigslist ads in order to case houses. Never leave your garage door open or talk about any items you own, vacations you are taking or your schedule. You never know who might use the information against you.

Latest posts