What do you guys think about Olympyk chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChainLightning

Vintage Saw Stalker
Reaction score
View attachment 259093

I have a friend that says that Stihl is the only saw to use. He says that Husky is ok but runs down everything else. He says that all Homelite's suck and most of all Olympks. Now this is the guy that thinks he knows everything....and if he does not know it then it apparently sucks. he never even heard of Jonsered! :taped:
I really wanna show him up so I am thinking about taking my Olympyk 264F Deluxe (one in the back) that I just got. He is so bright that he does not even know what model of Stihl that he has but he says that its like a 59CC or something. You think it would out Torque his Stihl. Maybe even cut a little faster?
BTW I am NOT bashing Stihl. I just don't have any Stihl's so I am not very familiar with them. I know thery are one of the best saws tho.

Those are two nice looking chainsaws
259093d1351120666-dscn1146-jpg

Those are Italian made saws, same company as makes Oleo-Mac and Efco. They are a good solid saw, just not that well known. Most recently you'll find John Deere models are actually rebadged Efco chainsaws. They will cut wood just as good as anything else out there.

Nice saws you have there. Depending on your buddy's Stihl that 264 of yours should give him a run for the money.

Those are Italian made saws, same company as makes Oleo-Mac and Efco. They are a good solid saw, just not that well known. Most recently you'll find John Deere models are actually rebadged Efco chainsaws. They will cut wood just as good as anything else out there.

Nice saws you have there. Depending on your buddy's Stihl that 264 of yours should give him a run for the money.

Thanks. That 254 was my grandpa's saw and it is my favorite saw. I just need to get a new sprocket, chain, and filter cover for it and it should be ready for action. Probably will end up making a homemade cover.

EMAK is the parent company, and their main brands have been Efco and Oleo-Mac for some time. Olympyk is one of the earlier names on the brand that now is called Efco. Many models were also rebranded as John Deere, until a few years ago - but far from all past JD saws has been rebranded EMAK saws, just the better ones! :msp_wink:

View attachment 259093

I have a friend that says that Stihl is the only saw to use. He says that Husky is ok but runs down everything else. He says that all Homelite's suck and most of all Olympks. Now this is the guy that thinks he knows everything....and if he does not know it then it apparently sucks. he never even heard of Jonsered! :taped:
I really wanna show him up so I am thinking about taking my Olympyk 264F Deluxe (one in the back) that I just got. He is so bright that he does not even know what model of Stihl that he has but he says that its like a 59CC or something. You think it would out Torque his Stihl. Maybe even cut a little faster?
BTW I am NOT bashing Stihl. I just don't have any Stihl's so I am not very familiar with them. I know thery are one of the best saws tho.

I see your point, but honestly there are better things to invest your pride in than a grudge match, with one side operating Olympyk's and the other just rambling about what he heard someone say at the post office about Stihl's and Huskys.

Sam

I see your point, but honestly there are better things to invest your pride in than a grudge match, with one side operating Olympyk's and the other just rambling about what he heard someone say at the post office about Stihl's and Huskys.

Sam

I hear ya Sam. If I don't beat him tho hes just gonna keep running his mouth and drive me to the edge...

I hear ya Sam. If I don't beat him tho hes just gonna keep running his mouth and drive me to the edge...

I think the problem is that you consider him a "friend". You will never change or out reason someone like that. Distance yourself from the guy and enjoy life without aggregavation.

Last edited:
Good, better than Jred distribution, not as good as huskee and sthil. parts are readily available, can not find a coil for a jred 520sp.

EMAK is the parent company, and their main brands have been Efco and Oleo-Mac for some time. Olympyk is one of the earlier names on the brand that now is called Efco. Many models were also rebranded as John Deere, until a few years ago - but far from all past JD saws has been rebranded EMAK saws, just the better ones! :msp_wink:

The 2 present day Italian chainsaw manufacturers are Efco/Emak & Alpina. Efco have marketed saws including some good quality pro saws under brands Olympic, Oleo Mac, Vap, Nautic, Nauder, Alpina market as Alpina, Castor, Bullcraft, as their main brands with both company's producing batches of saws for the box stores[as you call them] with names like Green craft but these tend to be only home owner models & only made for a short time period. My local shop is an Efco/Oleomac dealer & the saws on display were branded OleoMac, then Efco, but has now reverted to Oleo Mac some years he has a run of saws at the end of summer with Vap &/or Nauder. I have pro saw models of both brands & find they are good quality & strong performing +in France the are cheaper than Stihl or Husky.

Good, better than Jred distribution, not as good as huskee and sthil. parts are readily available, can not find a coil for a jred 520sp.

Here in the upper Midwest, Tilton, the Jred distributor, started carrying Olympic in the 70s during the energy crunch when everyone went to burning wood and they couldn't get enough J-reds to meet demand. BTW, try to find a new coil for a 2x1 series Oly...

I've got one running Oly (271) and a couple projects, 254, 264 and 264F Deluxe. The 271 was the "big" saw around this place since back in the dark ages when I was in school. It faithfully put wood in the shed every year until 2 1/2 years ago when I bought a 7300 Dolmar. It's retired now and just cuts for fun once in a while.

They're not screamers, but have lots of torque, the 264 should outpull any Stihl short of a 360/361/362. The 271 came from the factory with an 8 tooth 3/8" sprocket, and had no trouble pulling it, even with the 24" bar buried.

I have no clue why Oly's model numbers were always about 5 higher than the actual ccs. The 264 is 59/61 as noted, my 271 is 66, and my old 251 was 47. Guessing pure sales pitch...

View attachment 259093

In a nutshell your friend is full of crap! there is no one brand of saw that dominates every category of the market, I form my opinions on saws by running & repairing them, I find it amusing when people criticize a saw without having even run one ;)

The old Olympks/Oleo Mac's are not the lightest or fastest saws but they are built super strong and easy to repair.

I like my little old Oleo Mac firewood saw.... even if my neighbors don't :D
[video=youtube;H_fojeQ-O8Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_fojeQ-O8Y[/video]

I like my little old Oleo Mac firewood saw.... even if my neighbors don't :D
[video=youtube;H_fojeQ-O8Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_fojeQ-O8Y[/video]

Can't imagine why your neighbours wouldn't like that Oleo-Mac of yours as that's just one fine sounding saw. Almost like music, truth be told.

Sounds like your buddy is a pretty big blowhard. There are several Stihl models that run strong. There are also several Efco ones that do. I have an old Olympyk 480a Super that is a very healthy machine. If you are concerned $300 worth about a grunge match, send your 264 over to Randy or one of the guys for a woods port. I would think a 70cc Oly with healthy compression and good porting would run right there with a stock 660. You could also look for a stock 999, but good luck on that. I'll be on it like a rotwieller if I find it first.... That is definitely on the must-have list.

Making blanket statements about the quality of an entire brand is worthless. I have several tree guys who will/wont run a certain brand based on 1 or 2 limited experiences. For some reason, people seem to expect me to belittle their saw when it comes in if it is not a brand we sell. Often they are a bit confused when I comment positively on it. I am excited to see different saws come in, especially if it is one I have not done before. The Olys are a little bit perplexing for me, not because of their quality, but because getting parts for them is not as easy as the more mainstream brands.

You may want to search for videos on a ported Efco 980. I think Jasha did one a while back and then ultimately sold it. It was green (John Deere branded) and strong running. Maybe it was JJ. Someone out on the left coast anyway. Either way, I would not want to be a Stihl 460 trying to beat that one out.

I've got an Oleo-Mac 952, 52cc saw. Oleo-mac advertise this as a pro saw, and I have to agree.

Mine has done a lot of work, but has been 100% reliable, always an easy starter, and revs hard while in the cut. Good quality finish, after hundreds of air filter cleans etc the plastic covers still fit perfectly.

Personally I consider them equally as good as any of the other saws. Just my 2c, but I have huge respect for the brand.

"Sounds like your buddy is a pretty big blowhard."

Don't know if I'd grant the individual that much respect.

Sounds like he's spouting grade school drivel......

They shouldn't let six year olds play with chainsaws.

Back