What do you guys think about Olympyk chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my favorite big Oleo Mac, a ported 284F
stumpCustom.jpg

These 3 are the first model Oleo Mac built, model 233 re badged Blitz for the export market, all are good runners

2-12.jpg

"Sounds like your buddy is a pretty big blowhard."

Don't know if I'd grant the individual that much respect.

Sounds like he's spouting grade school drivel......

They shouldn't let six year olds play with chainsaws.

Nope we are both in are early 20s.

This is my favorite big Oleo Mac, a ported 284F
stumpCustom.jpg

These 3 are the first model Oleo Mac built, model 233 re badged Blitz for the export market, all are good runners

2-12.jpg
Those new Oleo Mac's are not cheap. I checked out their site the other day and their basic 16" home owner saws are around $500.

Those new Oleo Mac's are not cheap. I checked out their site the other day and their basic 16" home owner saws are around $500.

Over here new Oleo Mac's are about half the price of stihl & husky but dealer support is terrible, Adelaide has a population of 1.23 million but not one Oleo Mac dealer :(

I have a 980 Oly that has quite a bit of grunt. Of course, Randy did port it. I run an 8 pin with a 24" bar and it is still getting stronger with every tank. Enjoy what you have and don't worry about your buddy.

Shea

About the 999.....I would love one....ported of course. Maybe a 9 pin and 24" bar would go well with that.:D

Over here new Oleo Mac's are about half the price of stihl & husky but dealer support is terrible, Adelaide has a population of 1.23 million but not one Oleo Mac dealer :(

None around here either. I was looking on the site tho and it was "suggested retail price" for all I know that could have been Canadian price since the Canadian price is more than the American price.

I have a Oleo Mac 962 with a dead top end I can find a piston but no luck finding a cylinder yet... that's the frustrating thing with Oleo Mac, the product is good.

I bought an Efco MT3500 a few weeks ago after lots of reading here while trying to decide what I wanted for my first chainsaw in about two decades, and I've been pretty happy with it so far. When compared to most of the stuff that gets talked about in these parts, it's a throwaway saw being a 39 cc homeowner model. But like I said it's been a long time since I even held a chainsaw so i figured I should start over small and then get a real one. ;)

Anyway, when my dealer told me about their 'five year no fear' warranty (the one or two year standard for most didn't fill me with joy considering my luck sometimes) and that his sales rep had previously owned a small engine shop so he knew about customer relationships and had given the go ahead to fix things in the past that my dealer didn't expect to be fixed under warranty, I decided that for just over a couple hundred bucks I couldn't lose. I've only ran 11 or 12 tanks through it yet but almost all of it so far has been either milling and/or burying the chain. Poor little saw got bought and went straight to chainsaw :censored: .

efcowood.jpg

I bought an Efco MT3500 a few weeks ago after lots of reading here while trying to decide what I wanted for my first chainsaw in about two decades, and I've been pretty happy with it so far. When compared to most of the stuff that gets talked about in these parts, it's a throwaway saw being a 39 cc homeowner model. But like I said it's been a long time since I even held a chainsaw so i figured I should start over small and then get a real one. ;)

Anyway, when my dealer told me about their 'five year no fear' warranty (the one or two year standard for most didn't fill me with joy considering my luck sometimes) and that his sales rep had previously owned a small engine shop so he knew about customer relationships and had given the go ahead to fix things in the past that my dealer didn't expect to be fixed under warranty, I decided that for just over a couple hundred bucks I couldn't lose. I've only ran 11 or 12 tanks through it yet but almost all of it so far has been either milling and/or burying the chain. Poor little saw got bought and went straight to chainsaw :censored: .

efcowood.jpg

Wow! your asking a lot from that little saw :)

I have a Oleo Mac 962 with a dead top end I can find a piston but no luck finding a cylinder yet... that's the frustrating thing with Oleo Mac, the product is good.

I think I found ur top end. Maybe. Came across this tonight while looking for parts for my 355A that I'm rebuilding. It's worth looking into. The 962 should be 47 mm?

OLYMPIC/OLYMPYK NEW & USED PARTS

You're dead on Rokon. Gotta get the stuff just light enough I can get them in the truck for the trip home and bust up at my leisure.

Sounds like your buddy is a pretty big blowhard. There are several Stihl models that run strong. There are also several Efco ones that do. I have an old Olympyk 480a Super that is a very healthy machine. If you are concerned $300 worth about a grunge match, send your 264 over to Randy or one of the guys for a woods port. I would think a 70cc Oly with healthy compression and good porting would run right there with a stock 660. You could also look for a stock 999, but good luck on that. I'll be on it like a rotwieller if I find it first.... That is definitely on the must-have list.

Making blanket statements about the quality of an entire brand is worthless. I have several tree guys who will/wont run a certain brand based on 1 or 2 limited experiences. For some reason, people seem to expect me to belittle their saw when it comes in if it is not a brand we sell. Often they are a bit confused when I comment positively on it. I am excited to see different saws come in, especially if it is one I have not done before. The Olys are a little bit perplexing for me, not because of their quality, but because getting parts for them is not as easy as the more mainstream brands.

You may want to search for videos on a ported Efco 980. I think Jasha did one a while back and then ultimately sold it. It was green (John Deere branded) and strong running. Maybe it was JJ. Someone out on the left coast anyway. Either way, I would not want to be a Stihl 460 trying to beat that one out.
I admire your understanding that all saws are created equal. And no worrys.....I would not have the cash for any high grade 70+ CC Olys. If you can find em, there not cheap. I am more into the classic Homelite muscle cause it comes at a reasonable price usually with lots of parts avaliable. Like the C series and the 600-900 series when it comes to the bigger stuff. EZ 6s too. But I will cut all day with the smaller Homelite's and Olympyks.

The 2 present day Italian chainsaw manufacturers are Efco/Emak & Alpina. Efco have marketed saws including some good quality pro saws under brands Olympic, Oleo Mac, Vap, Nautic, Nauder, Alpina market as Alpina, Castor, Bullcraft, as their main brands with both company's producing batches of saws for the box stores[as you call them] with names like Green craft but these tend to be only home owner models & only made for a short time period. My local shop is an Efco/Oleomac dealer & the saws on display were branded OleoMac, then Efco, but has now reverted to Oleo Mac some years he has a run of saws at the end of summer with Vap &/or Nauder. I have pro saw models of both brands & find they are good quality & strong performing +in France the are cheaper than Stihl or Husky.

Excellent wright up! You forgot Dynamac also belongs to Emak. Rep sent!

efcowood.jpg

I also have one and am very happy with the saw. I only have two compaints. 1. It didn't come with a steel dawg and 2. it has the catalytic muffler on so I have to do some modifications soon! :D
But I got it on sale for - 40%!!!! And the steel dawg was easily aquired(9€).

Further I bought a new tophandle, because of the good exerience with the 3500 and did a short review here. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/204968.htm I will have to do a update soon.

All in all they are just as good as my Stihl or Makita/Dolmar chainsaws in my eyes and anyone who makes fun of things he has no idea of should be left outside in the rain.
To the OP I would not do any race with him at any time because if his saw looses I can just hear the "not right chain,.... not sharp.... hit a stone.... don't know today she is behaving like a ..a..woman :msp_scared:" excuses.
Enjoy your saws and laugh at his comments!

Last edited:
In a nutshell your friend is full of crap! there is no one brand of saw that dominates every category of the market, I form my opinions on saws by running & repairing them, I find it amusing when people criticize a saw without having even run one ;)

The old Olympks/Oleo Mac's are not the lightest or fastest saws but they are built super strong and easy to repair.

I like my little old Oleo Mac firewood saw.... even if my neighbors don't :D
[video=youtube;H_fojeQ-O8Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_fojeQ-O8Y[/video]

I live in the woods and my neighbors live pretty far away. They tell me that they can always here me when I am sawing and they say that it does not bother them. I think that is all about to change when I get a bar and chain for my C7 :biggrinbounce2:

Olympyk parts

I inherited my father-in-law's Olympyk 264F chainsaw. It is great, but last week while using it the tensioner bolt broke in half. Anyone know where I could get a
replacement part ? Thanks.

View attachment 259093

I have a friend that says that Stihl is the only saw to use. He says that Husky is ok but runs down everything else. He says that all Homelite's suck and most of all Olympks. Now this is the guy that thinks he knows everything....and if he does not know it then it apparently sucks. he never even heard of Jonsered! :taped:
I really wanna show him up so I am thinking about taking my Olympyk 264F Deluxe (one in the back) that I just got. He is so bright that he does not even know what model of Stihl that he has but he says that its like a 59CC or something. You think it would out Torque his Stihl. Maybe even cut a little faster?
BTW I am NOT bashing Stihl. I just don't have any Stihl's so I am not very familiar with them. I know thery are one of the best saws tho.

I used to sell Olymics. Nothing at all wrong with them, I suggest you set up a little test run with an appropriate wager. Make sure you have a good, sharp chain on it and that the saw is running right. In similar wood running similar B+C the Oly should hold it own at the least.

I once thought if it didn't say Husky, Mac or Pioneer on the saw it was trash. Crow isn't bad with enough Thousand Islands dressing.....

I inherited my father-in-law's Olympyk 264F chainsaw. It is great, but last week while using it the tensioner bolt broke in half. Anyone know where I could get a
replacement part ? Thanks.

Good luck with that part. I have a 264f with a repalcement from another saw and it works but isn't the right part. I have a NOS one to put on it when I go over it in the winter. If you know a shop with parts saws sitting around something should work on it. The 264f is a stronger saw than the 264 Deluxe that the OP has in his photo's

Back