What elevation do you live and cut at?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5000' ASL at the house.

6000'+ ASL where I do most of my cutting.

The high elevation results in a HUGE loss in power - 3% for every 1000' of elevation gain. Makes it necessary to run a 60cc limbing saw and 80cc+ for your falling and bucking saw.

5800ft at the house, 9200ft on our high country place. I do a lot more sawing at the higher altitude then down in the valley.

The funny thing is, our Husky 455 and Stihl 440 seem to suffer more at altitude than my old Mac's.

The newer saws run and idle just fine, but they seem to lose a noticable amount more torque at higher elevations than the Macs.

Of course, every time I change altitudes, I have to retune the Macs :D But I've got the routine down pat, and only takes a minute to tweak the carbs.........

Casey

Last edited:
House is at 2900' or so, but I cut anywhere between 1500 - 5000' or so. Treeline here is about 6000' and anything that grows that high is either crap Black Spruce or Subalpine Fir - the worst softwood of all time. Smells like rotten cat pi$$ when green.

I live at about 600 ASL and cut some around here.

Other cutting is in the Seqouia National Forrest which can be anywhere from 2,000 to 6,000 ASL.

Now that I think about it, I've never noticed enough difference in my saws performance to warrant a carb adjustment at elevation. HHMMMM

According to GPS, 9286 feet from the top of my log stand in the back yard.

830' ASL at ground level, 860' if I'm standing on top of the ladder.

Do you think it would help to adjust the carburetor on my 2050 Jonsered or 935 Olympyk for the added elevation of the ladder? They both seem to run fine on the ground but are much more freightening on top of the ladder.

Mark

8,500 at the house. Probably up to a bit over 9000 some places I cut. My stock 036 does fine and cuts down and cuts up everything I put it to, no problem.

I'm with you. I have muffler mod's on the 026/260's and on my 361, they cut great at 6,000 to 7,200 and sometimes higher. Just use good fuel/oil mixture and keep the carb tweeked. My friends have 036/360's with muffler mods and they cut just great at these elevations. And a friend has an 046 and 066 that runs super. We and our saws just get used to the elevation; no big deal. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back