What fuel/mix do you use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used this method to minimize ethanol % in my 2-cycle mixture for several yrs & never had to replace a single fuel line yet.

Fill up any 5 gallon tank w/ high octane gas plus fuel stabilizer. Let the tank sit, undisturbed for 1 week.

Siphon the gas w/ an electric gas pump, but starting at the "top" part of the tank & gradually work your way down.

Stop at about 1 inch from the bottom, toss the remaining gas or save it for parts cleaning. Reason being gasoline is "non-polar" & ethanol is "polar", they don't stay mixed forever. Given enough time ethanol will precipitate to the bottom.

Worked well for me the last 6-7 yrs. Haven't replaced a gas line yet.

This is very cool! I have never heard of this before. If true (not doubting you) this would be a relatively inexpensive alternative to aviation fuel. Thanks for that!
Thanks for everyone elses comments as well. Didn't mean for the oil/gas lean/rich thing to get started. :)

I have been running 110 octane leaded Sunoco race gas with Stihl synthetic at 50:1 works like a charm and leaded gas keeps forever.

Av gas

straight avgas with husky synthetic at 40:1.

av gas doesn't have the power of pump gas-av gas is a safety rating as to flamability and volitility--less of either is a power reducer--even tho the octane is higher. From another site: Many people think high-octane gasoline is more powerful than low octane gasoline. This is not true. The energy produced from a gallon of high and low octane gasoline is almost the same. Any minor variation depends on what additives are used by refiners and blenders. The key features of high-octane gasoline are a higher ignition temperature and a slower burning rate.

Last edited:
What is the best for keeping your engine clean and running as well as it can???

Any reason not to use av gas 100LL or vp ethanol free gas besides cost??

Can you leave it in your saw for a long time???

The father inlaw only uses the cheapest 87 octane with some strange all ratio oil. Well he still wonders why the snowblower is hard to start and always fouls out. He refuses to use my "good" fuel saying it makes no difference since the compression is low enough to run on water. I just waste money in his opinion since premium(high test is his words) is ony for "race cars", and people that like to waste money.

Huh? Nobody here still runs orange bottle Stihl oil?

I tried them all (Amsoil, Maxima, Klotz), IMHO as long as the fuel is fresh it makes no difference whatsoever in a stock saw or any OPE

Once you start porting and raising compression, well, that's another chapter in another book.

I have used this method to minimize ethanol % in my 2-cycle mixture for several yrs & never had to replace a single fuel line yet.

Fill up any 5 gallon tank w/ high octane gas plus fuel stabilizer. Let the tank sit, undisturbed for 1 week.

Siphon the gas w/ an electric gas pump, but starting at the "top" part of the tank & gradually work your way down.

Stop at about 1 inch from the bottom, toss the remaining gas or save it for parts cleaning. Reason being gasoline is "non-polar" & ethanol is "polar", they don't stay mixed forever. Given enough time ethanol will precipitate to the bottom.

Worked well for me the last 6-7 yrs. Haven't replaced a gas line yet.

Seriously......, with the amount of gas I go through, it would be less work to change your fuel line every 6 years.

Which I have not had to do either, by simply running my equipment dry.

Stihl Ultra and 93 octane from the gas station with me chew and the good cookies. I use pump 3, pull in facing West. Always pump 3. Dang saws run like crap on the gas from pump 4!

Stihl Ultra and 91 or 93 octane

So far we can still get non-E gas, been hearing that after first of year
all pump gas will be 15%-E gas. Anyone heard or read this?

I use a glass jar with lid, I have scribed a line on jar and fill jar with
water to that line. Pour gas in with water and shake well, let it sit
and see if water goes above line. If it does your gas has water in it
or it is E gas or both. I use 1 part water and 3 parts gas when testing.
I use a small dia. & tall jar.

TT

As far as the which is richer argument, you can adjust the carb so rich that it will hardly run using straight gas and you are screwed.

A higher percentage of oil in the mix probably doesn't do squat past what the manufacturer recommends, but I don't see what it hurts as long as you don't get carried away and carbon it up.

Latest posts

Back