What is the best all around saw "mid duty"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stupid question, but just to make sure I am on the same page. When we are talking tree size, we measure how large the tree is around in inches and then divide by 3 right?

'Diameter' is the length straight through the tree.
'Radius' is 1/2 the diameter.
'Circumference' is the measurement around the tree.
Diameter = Circumference divided by 'pi' (3.14159)

Screen shot 2016-04-21 at 12.59.21 PM.png
When talking with others, they may use any of these, and may use them incorrectly - it helps to define your terms.

Many tree people talk about 'DBH' 'diameter breast height' - since the diameter of a tree varies along it's height, foresters measure the diameter at a consistent height, about 4.5 feet above the ground.
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/trees/?c=59508&a=424017

Philbert

What kind of gas do I use? I know ethanol is bad for two strokes, it wrecks my blower if I don't run it dry after each use. Do you guys have a stabilizer or some other product that you use?

If using very little then pre mixed canned fuel can solve that, true fuel, vp, echo, stihl, and husky all offer some it costs more but takes some worry out. I know a few guys who only use canned premix at the end of season and just top off the tank when done and swear it starts right up even after sitting foe 6 months plus.

I think I am going to go that route. I don't use much gas anyway, especially mixed fuel for the blower, trimmer chainsaw etc. Did find a gas station that sells pure gas though.

Last few question,

Is there anything that needs to be changed from stock on a Dolmer 421?

What would you say a rough rule of thumb is for how large of a tree I can safely handle? The largest of my junk trees are small, but the trunk of the apple tree I need to take down is a little bigger. I'll put a tape on it to find out exactly. The good news is its shaped like a "n", years of neglect and vines pulled it down.

I would be comfortable with taking down a 12-14" tree with a 421. Some people remove the cat from the muffler and retuned but that can void your warranty.

Last few question,

What would you say a rough rule of thumb is for how large of a tree I can safely handle? The largest of my junk trees are small, but the trunk of the apple tree I need to take down is a little bigger. I'll put a tape on it to find out exactly. The good news is its shaped like a "n", years of neglect and vines pulled it down.
If you like to play and have access to a welder and torch. I will pull the muffler and heat the crimps open it up drill out the 4 iirc spot welds and throw the while cat plate away. Open the muffler port just a little and put it back together. :)

Last few question,

Also for the bigger trees buy you a good stihl ps3 chain. Oregon dosnt make a full chisel chain. Only stihl. :)

I'm going to measure the apple tree tomorrow. I don't think it is any bigger than 14".

I have been watching youtube videos on felling trees all day. I don't know why its so entertaining/addicting. Eyeing all the trees on my property lol. I have one OLD pecan tree that basically has a big hole in the center from where the tree split two ways and created a place water collects. I'm not sure if there is a way to save center rotted trees or not. What is the term I am looking for?
Few junk trees. A black walnut that needs several limbs removed.

I better get some books and videos soon.

Husqvarna has an excellent video series on YouTube on general saw safety and felling instructions. It was a big help for me

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

I'm going to measure the apple tree tomorrow. I don't think it is any bigger than 14".

I have been watching youtube videos on felling trees all day. I don't know why its so entertaining/addicting. Eyeing all the trees on my property lol. I have one OLD pecan tree that basically has a big hole in the center from where the tree split two ways and created a place water collects. I'm not sure if there is a way to save center rotted trees or not. What is the term I am looking for?
Few junk trees. A black walnut that needs several limbs removed.

I better get some books and videos soon.

Just be sure you don't damage that black walnut. They are highly valuable.

Had the ms291 and the ms260 cutting oak today. They just don't have the power to cut a 10 inch white oak without bogging down with new chains. I just can't see how you folks say these are midrange saws and a ms440 is a big bad powerful high range saw. I guess over the years of using the 440 I got spoiled having a saw that powered through 16 inch oak without slowing down. When it comes down to bucking logs those small saws will wear you out spending much more time cutting.

Had the ms291 and the ms260 cutting oak today. They just don't have the power to cut a 10 inch white oak without bogging down with new chains. I just can't see how you folks say these are midrange saws and a ms440 is a big bad powerful high range saw. I guess over the years of using the 440 I got spoiled having a saw that powered through 16 inch oak without slowing down. When it comes down to bucking logs those small saws will wear you out spending much more time cutting.
Here is a 30cc 192 cutting 16" cherry. And my 60cc saw can handle 16+c oak and hickory without a problem.

Small saws can get a job done and that chain is no where near new.

Guy, no one here thinks a 440 is a massive saw.

But if your advice to someone who is brand new to chainsaws is telling them to run out and buy a beat up old 440 and go attack small trees, you aren't giving very good advice. And I'm far from being considered a cautious person.

I think part of your confusion is thinking mid-duty, mid-range, and mid-size all mean the exact same thing.

Honestly sounds like you don't know how to run a saw, and are used to forcing dull chains to cut. Let the saw do the work and pull itself through the woods. 10" oak is 421 work maybe 346, your back will thank you in a few years. Big saws are fun to run bucking large rounds, other than that they are exhausting and clumsy for just about anything else IMHO. Not that a 440 is a huge saw, but still.

70cc saws are totally out of the realm of what most need, or want. The amount of wood a guy can cut with 50cc and smaller saws is staggering.

Latest posts

Back