what is the BEST ALL TIME FIREWOOD SAW?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best ALL time firewood saw

• Total voters
One can only assume that the term "value" doesn't translate well.

It does translate, but it is a rather subjective and inaccurate expression, that I don't care to use when discussing chainsaws - the price differences aren't that large anyway, specially not in the US...

How about a snellerized 362? This tank went for another 4-5 minutes, but i can only put one video in a single post.

[video=youtube;1mQB3n5MreE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mQB3n5MreE&list=UUzRiEcxME2EObEmQCmrAfFg&index=4&feature=plcp[/video]

Don't want to do major critique, but if you don't finish the cut all the way when noodling big pieces of wood, it is usually much safer because the large pieces don't always fall over so easily. I use then the Fiskars for the last small connecting piece. I'll try to make a pic of what I mean. The arrow is pointing at the length of the connecting piece.
attachment.php

View attachment 264015

I know, i know it's a wildthing in nice purple. :D

Well, to me firewood cutting includes felling, limbing and bucking in the woods - it isn't an "inferior" type of cutting, that you indicate it is.

Each to their own, as usual! :givebeer:

Ah, so I see that you finally agree with me that not everyone cuts the same nor has the exact same needs. Each of us has different requirements concerning our choices.

It's good to see that you're coming around old friend! :msp_smile:

Don't want to do major critique, but if you don't finish the cut all the way when noodling big pieces of wood, it is usually much safer because the large pieces don't always fall over so easily. I use then the Fiskars for the last small connecting piece. I'll try to make a pic of what I mean. The arrow is pointing at the length of the connecting piece.
attachment.php

View attachment 264015

I know, i know it's a wildthing in nice purple. :D

I love that image. Your MSPAINT saw has a seriously aggressive chain. NO RAKERS!

Good idea, I could see bucking to 22" then noodling a checker and finishing the split with any ol' swinger.

I got these logs from my neighbor though, no control over length. Will probably do that for a nice Cherry my friend wants put down this winter. It is about 20" diameter for probably 40' of trunk.

But the 51/55s were pretty good saws and much better built than the current 450/455s

My 55 Rancher has gone on every firewood haul I've made for the last ten years, light weight, reliable, and doesn't wear a guy out! Of course like many, I have to take 3 or 4 other saws to the timber:rock:

Got to buy more saws. I dont even own any of those on the list nor have I run any of them...Can someone spare a 372? I'll give it a good home. How's about an old unloved dolmar 7900.:D

I've got a 371 that I'll let go reasonalby cheap. Pm me if interested. Same saw as the 372 except it has the inboard chain tensioner instead of on the side. Its the one with the short bar in my pic of three of them.

My 55 Rancher has gone on every firewood haul I've made for the last ten years, light weight, reliable, and doesn't wear a guy out! Of course like many, I have to take 3 or 4 other saws to the timber:rock:

I was at my local stihl/Husky dealer, he sells both plus toro and a few other brands. I bought a new stihl blower and my Dad got a new b/c for his 55. We are in there a lot and know the guys well. Paul (the owner) told us that the 51/55 were their best selling product Ever. Outselling the mowers, snow blowers, and stihls by a long shot. They were great saws.

I was at my local stihl/Husky dealer, he sells both plus toro and a few other brands. I bought a new stihl blower and my Dad got a new b/c for his 55. We are in there a lot and know the guys well. Paul (the owner) told us that the 51/55 were their best selling product Ever. Outselling the mowers, snow blowers, and stihls by a long shot. They were great saws.

I noticed that they (the 55's) still bring a good price on e-bay as long as they are in reasonable shape.:)

I have to go with my MS361. It will do it all. It will pull a 28 if needed.

Growing up dad was too cheap to buy a really good saw so we used the electric Craftsman. I still have it or one just like it. You know, the black and red 2.0. Our other choice for out of the back yard was a Homie XL and a Skill he bought new somewhere but we always had problems keeping it running right. It was yellow small and maybe 35cc's. They had sucky carbs that went out of tune all the time! I have no idea what was mixed or used in the tanks to fuel them.:msp_scared:

Just could not vote on any of those saw as i have only ever used my stihl from new 038 magnum and 075 stihl for fire wood cutting my brother in law had a 365 husky that he let me try for the first time and i must say it was an awesome saw very good power i think if i was bying a new saw it might just be a husky:msp_wink::D

I have to go with my MS361. It will do it all. It will pull a 28 if needed.

Growing up dad was too cheap to buy a really good saw so we used the electric Craftsman. I still have it or one just like it. You know, the black and red 2.0. Our other choice for out of the back yard was a Homie XL and a Skill he bought new somewhere but we always had problems keeping it running right. It was yellow small and maybe 35cc's. They had sucky carbs that went out of tune all the time! I have no idea what was mixed or used in the tanks to fuel them.:msp_scared:

Ha! I bet I can guess what he stuck in the tanks! I remember "cheap" guys back in the day, they used old crankcase oil, for both sides, mix and bar. And like off brand stale 19 cent a gallon dregs from the cheap station in town. ME, first class! Brand new clean quarts of straight 30 weight, both sides, and at least some sort of name brand fresh "regular", 80 something octane.

Oil is better now for sure, today's gas sucks, but it burns much cleaner and I don't miss burning dino oil or leaded fuel at all. The tradeoff today is worth it as long as you can still find non E fuel.

out of all my saws my favorite is my stihl 025 i got a really good deal on it about 4 months ago and my other 3 saws have only gotten used when i had really big stuff smallest saw ive owned and really impressed with the power and weight hopeing to try a 261 or 250 hear soon

Latest posts

Back