What is your "crown jewel"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20161211_181546912.jpg towards the top of the list. Bore and piston look new yet. Has the original mcculloch fortified tip bar. Everything is original. I should add it is missing the handle bar strap going to the fan housing. If anyone has one I am I need.

I have many, but the 030av was the first saw I ever paid money for back in the early 80's, I've had some very nice ones since and sold them, I really wished I had saved one, I snagged this one off the bay a couple days back and still waiting for it to arrive, it will be gone through completely then put up as a reminder of my first one I owned, still a great looking and running saw, I feel this saw was a turning point for Stihl in the consumer market.....:)s-l1600 (214).jpg s-l1600 (212).jpg s-l1600 (213).jpg

View attachment 567265 The 011AVT on the right would bare the crown for me simply because it was the one saw plan for near 2 decades and never failed to get the job done. The 3.4 on the left will be a good one when I get the oiler going. I look at saws like cars if it won't be used or driven it has no use to me.
What about that 51/55 in the middle?

- Joseph

needs a lot of parts it will get its turn. Need ignition and everything from the intake port out to the filter cover. Gona be a 51 in 55 clothing when its done.
I just did one of those with a Chinese top-end. It's not quite as powerful (or comfortable) as my buddies 455 but it's only had 3- 4 tanks through it so I'm hoping it has a little more power in it yet. Also, it was free and I've only got $22 into it. Best running <$25 saw I've ever owned.

I also recently put new rings in a 51, polished intake/exhaust, no base gasket, modded muffler, and tuned the carb. Holy ballz! 16" bar with .375 semi and it's made me think twice about that Chinese top-end's actual value. That series of saw is a beginner's paradise. I've built sandwiches with greater complexity. :barbecue:

Joseph

I just did one of those with a Chinese top-end. It's not quite as powerful (or comfortable) as my buddies 455 but it's only had 3- 4 tanks through it so I'm hoping it has a little more power in it yet. Also, it was free and I've only got $22 into it. Best running <$25 saw I've ever owned.

I also recently put new rings in a 51, polished intake/exhaust, no base gasket, modded muffler, and tuned the carb. Holy ballz! 16" bar with .375 semi and it's made me think twice about that Chinese top-end's actual value. That series of saw is a beginner's paradise. I've built sandwiches with greater complexity. :barbecue:

Joseph
I've got a farmertech jug for it probly won't get a base gasket. May play with widening the ports some to never did anything like that yet.

Not sure how cheap your jug was but they can certainly be had cheap enough to mess up and not hate yourself for attempting it.

Joseph

Latest posts

Back