What is your "crown jewel"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 350CS John Deere....Homelite SXL AV.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

For those that haven't seen this saw.
It is now one of my crown jewels that i
built after this thread started.
probably one of the most powerful geardrive
saws out there. I custom made this saw with
the Mac 101B motor. It's a blast to run.

Lee

Lee,

You need to bring that saw out to Baraboo in August. It would be a nice saw to see run in the gear drive class.

Bill

You impressed me Mitch. Nice pair.

Speaking of nice pairs, this pair is special to me and like you said it might not impress most as they dont realize this might be the only pair of these in the US. There also Partner/Pioneer era saws and have the gray handles as such but they only say Partner on them as there from Europe.

A Partner 5500H and a Partner 540.

attachment.php

Soooo, what you're saying is that you keep your "Domestic Partners" in your shed??? :tongue2:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Last edited:
It was my 076, but I have a feeling that this one is going to take over first place when I'm through with her...

attachment.php

5 year bump..20161011_214308.jpgI miss her. Twas my first big-ish saw. Stupid divorces and Christmas! Aside from this i would say my 028S and my 064. Did i mention that divorces suck? No credit card debt though so ultimately they truly served their purpose. I would buy them all back if could. It would be the happiest $1k I've spent in quite some time.

Joseph

A lot of things have changed in 5 years, several of the regulars no longer post and I've been blessed with several additional saws. I have a few that are special.

The McCulloch Pro Max 850 Super is a very low hour saw, came out of the McCulloch warehouse when they were moving from L.A. to Arizona.

Picture 005.jpg

Another great McCulloch collector saw is the BP-1, very unique with the balance piston and impressive performance for 46 cc. This one now has the original auto-sharp chain and grinding wheel.

DSCN0024.JPG

The Sachs Dolmar KMS4 is also unique with the Wankel engine. Pretty reliable starting saw but only runs for a few minutes before the coil gets hot and it quits.

DSC05594.JPG

I think the one that is most special today is the Solo Twin I got in a trade from McBob in Australia. I recently had to make a repair to the starter pulley and was reminded what a sweet sounding saw the twin is.

034.JPG

041s.jpg

Mark

I'd have to say my 550 as it is the only ported saw I currently own and I think it was the first 550 that Carl Miller did. That has gotta be worth something right?

I guess as honorable mention my 2-10 which was owned by my buddy's late father and it took me two years to scrounge the parts for and now it runs great.

Crown jewels..............well I have a few that I like

McCulloch.......Super 797, 125, 73, 49, Super LG2 and oh yes the BP1
Homelite.........3100g, 2100, 2000, 750 900, 909, 990, 995, XP1000 auto oiler, Gear drive C series covers , Xl15, many others
West Bend 820 powered saws.............Wards, Root, Lancaster, Whitehead, Indian, and Hoffco

I will remember a few more later

Well at the moment have 11 operational saws and some times do not have enough. I have a couple of very clean McCullochs that do not get used very much because they are some what small, but when some of my commonly used saws are at a project they are my Crown Jewel. Whatever saw that is getting used is the current Crown Jewel. I had a couple of very old Huskies that just seemed to always be usable and then they died. I tried to restore them to keep, but it became a large challenge that took away from the job at hand. So to the scrap metal they went RIP. Thanks

IMG_20170216_194259.jpg The 011AVT on the right would bare the crown for me simply because it was the one saw plan for near 2 decades and never failed to get the job done. The 3.4 on the left will be a good one when I get the oiler going. I look at saws like cars if it won't be used or driven it has no use to me.

Can't say any really. My saws are just tools for getting work done, much like a lawn mower or washing machine.
Agreed, until the point of talking about old saws. Any saw that manages to get old and still valued earns my respect, along with the engineers that built them and the generation or multiples thereof who put the saws to good use.

Can't say any really. My saws are just tools for getting work done, much like a lawn mower or washing machine.
I will admit I collect saws but I make a living with tools and tractors and still find pride in the things I use daily. Just because you use a saw for a business doesn't mean a person can't keep it clean and have it as a prize possession.

Latest posts

Back