What log splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Never owned a log splitter before, can I get some advice from you more experienced folks.

Tractor supply has a Huskee 35 ton splitter 12.5 Briggs & Stratton.

Northern Tool sells a Northstar horizontal / vertical 37 ton splitter with a 9 hp Honda.
Both sell for about $1700.00, what one would be best?????
I do not have the ability to build one myself, must buy one off the shelf.

Both splitters have received good comments on this site. They both produce the same tonnage and speed regardless of what they advertize. They both have a 5" bore cylinder with a 16 gpm Barnes 2-stage pump. The 16gpm pump requires 8hp. to operate at max. output,so the bigger engines add nothing .
The horizontal engine on the Northern does bring the pump up away from the ground in a more protected position when towing.

I have the Huskee and would buy it again. No complaints. I split mostly oak, 20-40 inches, and many crotches. Nothing has stopped it yet.

I don't tow it around, so the position of the pump isn't a problem. Come to think of it, it's not a problem on the highway, either. Might be on rough ground.

I do mostly vertical splitting because of the size of my wood, but I have done some horizontal splitting, and find the built in log cradle works great.

It's not a Timberwolf by any means, but then, it didn't cost 5 grand, either. ;)

Search around here and you'll find a thread on a problem with Northern's hinge.

I like Northern Tool in general, but between the two splitters, I think the Huskee is the better choice. I like the way the Huskee wedge is captive in the beam better than the Northern configuration. The Northern carriage appears to be less stout than the Huskee, too, based on pictures I've seen.

A plus for the Northern is that you can get the 4 way wedge.

I think you'll be well served with either splitter. I'm not aware of anything in that price range that comes close.

Here's that thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=68337

Last edited:
For the most part, a splitter is a splitter. The honda engine is hands down much better, longer lasting, easier starting, etc. The northern splitter has the automatic engine idle feature. Overall, I like the set-up of the northern splitter, I have never used the huskee, so I cant compare. The height of the NT splitter is ideal, no bending over to use in the horizontal position. The whole machine is very well balanced to manuver around by hand. The log cradle is also nice, along with the wedge stripper which pulls the wedge out from stuck logs. Two year warrenty on NT, not sure about the Huskee. Good luck.

Never owned a log splitter before, can I get some advice from you more experienced folks.

Tractor supply has a Huskee 35 ton splitter 12.5 Briggs & Stratton.

Northern Tool sells a Northstar horizontal / vertical 37 ton splitter with a 9 hp Honda.
Both sell for about $1700.00, what one would be best?????
I do not have the ability to build one myself, must buy one off the shelf.

If you are just doing your own home firewood, you may not need all that much splitter. My 5hp, 4" cyl, 11gpm 2 stage pump has made 5-6 cord a year for me and lord knows how much more for my neighbors. I've had it for going on 6 years now and although it's rated as 20 ton, I've busted some pretty big maple rounds with it no problem. It sips gas too. :cheers:

Thanks for the info on which log splitter.
Im leaning towards the Huskee only because the Northstar splitter will cost me almost $200.00 for shipping. I can pick up the Huskee at my local TSC. Although the Honda's are sweet.....

Don't forget the Huskee comes with hydro oil; I believe the Northern doesn't. And at $6 or more a gallon and needing about 8 gallons, that's a lot of scratch.

If you are looking for some thing for around the house. I have a 6 ton electric DR Splitter. It will split logs 6 to 18 in. oak all day. I got my first in Dec 05 and it died on me last week. lost power? I called the Dr Tech line. They exchanged it and shipped me out an new one With. No questions. That is service. :clap:
But if you need something bigger. Go with the Huskie. My Dad has run his for years.

MS290

Latest posts

Back