What made you a stihl or a husky guy.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friggin' Poulan saw turned me off of box-store purchases, so I went to a gen-you-ine chain saw shop - Stihl - when I replaced it.

Not to say I wouln't ever have a Husky or Dolmar...

Same here (except replace "Poulan" with "Homelite"). The nearest Stihl dealer is about a mile away, and I already knew they gave good service on other stuff, so it was an easy decision.

stihl vs. husky

ive owned an 028 AV Super(bulletproof), MS290, 046(wore it out twice-now its a BB), just bought an 066, and i had an 084 AV, i grew up running stihl, and have always been able work on them myself and have been happy with them, that being said-i have worked for several people running husky's-395's & 385's in the woods, 372's & 575's on the landing, and have always had pretty good luck with them, i will say that the air cleaner on a husky is better than a stihl, prefer a stihl fuel tank, and the sound from a husky makes u wanna stick your pinkey inside your ear ands scratch your brain:laugh: when considering buying my last saw(the 066) i was gonna get a new 395(one of the people i log for is a dealer-can get it at their cost) but i ended up going with the 066 due to the fact that it will complment my 046, I just wouldn't of been able to have that sort of color variety in the back of the truck!

I started out on a craftsman 55cc (poulon 3400). my first new saw was a husky and i haven't looked back since. I did buy a stihl 361c just because it's good for everything. But other than that, i've had great luck with all my huskys, my husky dealer treats me great, so why change a good thing.

Started cutting with my Dad using Homelites
My brother's started purchasing Stihl saws--couple 034's
Bought a 028 a/v Woodboss at an auction to do my own cutting. Never had a problem with it since purchased.
Bought a new MS 361 and love it. The primary reason for owning a Stihl, is reliability, and good service that is convenient.
Otherwise, I'm sure that husky, dolmar, and other brands make a great saw.

My first was one of those little throw away homelites. Bro still has it. Then I graduated to a Echo that a friend gave me, it needed a B&C and throttle linkage, that saw cut firewood for me for 15 years and I sold it cheap to a friend who was down and out. I got near new husky 181SE next, it cut good but the muffler was forever falling off, sold that when I moved and got gas. I had picked up my XL1 somewhere along the way. I just bought a cabin that needs wood so was on the prowl for a new to me saw. Well I found an 024 in a box and did an internet search and ended up here. I liked how the saw was built and how easy it was to work on, that sold me on Stihl. Look at my signature and you can see how the disease has progressed!!! I think the 024 and 026 are sold. :popcorn:

40 years of saws

I run Stihls and Huskys both because they are cuttun son of a guns.:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Jeez...I Don't know...

I started with an old Homelite from my father-in-law, heavy metal beast and ran it several years after he had it for several years. A shop couldn't get parts for it and let them keep it. Mistake now, still kind of miss. Then got a Sthil from him when he got dementia and had to quit using such things. It is down but I plan to fix it and keep it. One of the few things I got from the old guy and he was a nice guy.

Got two more Stihls and like them. Have a little cheap Homelite that just keeps going and going and two Echo's, one of them is one of arborist ones, not the smallest and they are nice, got a good deal on them. Loaned the bigger one to a friend that is a real Stihl guy and he had to admit that he kind of hid it at first when some friends were over and then got to really like it and had to admit it was a good saw. Even was boasting about it to his friends!

Local shops "carry" Husky but don't have them in stock but have the Husky weedeaters and so one. Have two of the Huskys and both are good, little problems and lots of use.

The two shops I use for parts and help are both good but I tend to head over to the one that has more stuff in stock.

I just like good tools, no matter who makes them. I'd rather buy quality when I can at all afford it, cheaper in the long run.

Stihl for now. Had a bad used husky saw. Not that I don't like the others, it's just that I only have stihl dealer support. Would like to try a 5100 dolmar though:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

ps the husky was a 39 or 141 I think

Stihl Guy

Started with dads muculloch 33 super until it gave up the ghost. High school forestry class had 032 and 045 stihls. Loved them. Dad talked to the family loggers (grandad Brother in laws) they used stihls as big yellow and red phased out. He bought 032 saw still runs great today. I bought an 044 when they were new design its never broke down. Just bought an 066 and maybe getting an 064. Wife loves her 260 pro. Some day Ill get a Husky just to have one but may be tough to find a niche. Big old mucullochs are what my sites are set on for the future. Stihl is just what comes naturally I like the feel.

Each have their place. No brand loyalty here. Stock and 60cc under give me my metal cased Poulans. Modded is a different story. Stihl 066, Dolmar 7900, Husky 357, soon to be modded Partner 5000 plus.
I don't have any brand loyalty also I even like my poulan! all my saw's run great and start every time I need them, my only Sthil gave me a problem with the heated handle but the original owner took it in for me and it was fixed free of charge! as He has a in at the dealer.

Latest posts

Back