What oil and mixture?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
87 and maxima k2 was the last stuff I used. I have used belray and motul 710 with good results. All is mixed to 32:1.

Three oz. of orange bottle Stihl to one gal of Shell 93 (E-10) , 42.6:1. Easy to remember.

Hey Gary look................................an oil thread!!!

92 Octane non-E with Redline Racing 2-Stroke oil at 32/1.
That's when I'm not able to get this stuff (it's kinda hard to get sometimes as the NASCAR teams buy most of Gary's production). It's so good that you can mix it with E15, E85.........................hell even denatured alcohol at 100/1 and yer still A-OK.:D

108493d1252546222-garygoo-jpg

Oil in the left side hole.. .High test gas in the right side.

What.. I'm supposed to mix the fuel?! Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.

93 Non-E Amsoil Saber 32:1

Ohh yeah.. I add ~1/4 oz of Marine Stabil.. the green. It shouldn't be needed with Non - E fuel.. but it makes me feel good so why not. It won't hurt anything.

I'll just quote myself.

To give you a direction where to look at. It should include the following specifications.

1. for air cooled engines
2. full synthetic , the price difference to semi synthetic(is still great if you can't find any full synthetic) or mineral oil is in my eyes minimal compared to the supiriority of full synthetic
3. full fill the following norms API TC, JASO FC/FD, TISI, ISO L-EGD (these are not fullfilled by Stihl HP ultra :D)

I buy generic 2 stroke oil of the above qualification from a major motorcycle equipment chain store here in Europe. They have it on sale like once or twice a year for ~30€ /4 litre jug. The mix I don't use up in a few months goes into the lawnmower/tractor or motorcycle. And they love it!

Hope this gives you an idea at what to look out for.

The best smoke additive has been for me diesel. Accidently my FIL had mixed some diesel & gas in a gas can. Well I made a batch of mix out of it. I couldn't even see the tip of the bar! Man was that wild!

Good luck!

Motul 800 2T at 32:1 with VP Racing T4 Fuel.

Checking out some local Marinas for something in the 91-93 E-Zero range though. Local gas station has 89 in E-Zero.

Well, I run fuel with ethanol in it because that's all there is around here. There is no ethanol free fuel in my area. I also run 87 octane simply because it is fresh. Yea I could run 92 or 93 octane but honestly, how long do you guy's figure the higher octane fuel sits at the station with the price of fuel these days? I don't know anybody the runs premium anymore because of the cost. So the oil I switch to has to be cool with 87 octane.

Based on my "best smelling / least odor oil" thread I did recently, I am running Maxima K2 40:1 with 92 octane gas. I can't get non-e, so I treat the gas first with Marine Stabil or Ethanol shield, then do the mix.

The smell is pretty mild, especially compared to Stihl synthetic.

I am also going to try some Amsoil saber that Kenjax sent to me. I just need some non-rainy weather (ha!) so that I can get my cutting done.

Motul 800 2T at 32:1 with VP Racing T4 Fuel.

Checking out some local Marinas for something in the 91-93 E-Zero range though. Local gas station has 89 in E-Zero.

My local marina's aren't so local...the closest one would be a 25 miles. Not happening..;)

OK so a lot of you blokes run your mix or some run Stihls 50 to 1
Ive heard of several blokes that ran stihl 50 to 1 and cooked new saws
I know a couple of professional bushman that run their own blend I thing around the 32 to one

My fuel is always new to a sometimes two weeks old by the time ive used the entire mix of 5 litres
mostly I will use it all in a couple of days
I mix at 25 to 1 always have and never had any trouble
To be honest Im just a tad worried to try thinning the mix as I cant really afford the cost of rebuilding or replacing the saw
some of the mixes if see make me wonder but you blokes know more than I ever will
All my saws are stihl
ms180
ms250
ms310 what mix would you recommend I run in these
using stihls oil and or other brand of good oil may be something I can get a deal on in bigger bottles even at a bike shop
I have mm the 250 and the 310 but run really nicely on the 25to1 mix and I thing because the mix is a cool one you can run a nice tune a little easier if you can get what Im trying to say

then there is an old 038 magnum
064 im looking to refurbish
what would you run in these older saws particularly once they are rebuilt
thanks , you blokes help more than you know Im glad your all here ay
cheeres

Well, I run fuel with ethanol in it because that's all there is around here. There is no ethanol free fuel in my area. I also run 87 octane simply because it is fresh. Yea I could run 92 or 93 octane but honestly, how long do you guy's figure the higher octane fuel sits at the station with the price of fuel these days? I don't know anybody the runs premium anymore because of the cost. So the oil I switch to has to be cool with 87 octane.

I would not worry about the E-10, if you are capable of sealing a container and not getting water into the container then it seems to be a non-issue. I would recommend that the fuel be purchased from the newest, busiest station that is in good repair. If the crapper is trashed or broke then I am guessing dipping the tanks is also not high on the priority list.

In terms of premium or not, ask the station manager how often it is filled. Local to me is a station that gets "fresh" premium often. The premium stinks less, I do not know why or care, it just stinks less. When I go to the west side of the state the regular fuel stinks even more, smells bad, coming out of the pump and continues to do so all the through the exhaust. Real similar to the fuel that I purchase when I am in Virginia. The premium stinks less.

How much oil are you looking to buy at one time?

I would not worry about the E-10, if you are capable of sealing a container and not getting water into the container then it seems to be a non-issue. I would recommend that the fuel be purchased from the newest, busiest station that is in good repair. If the crapper is trashed or broke then I am guessing dipping the tanks is also not high on the priority list.

In terms of premium or not, ask the station manager how often it is filled. Local to me is a station that gets "fresh" premium often. The premium stinks less, I do not know why or care, it just stinks less. When I go to the west side of the state the regular fuel stinks even more, smells bad, coming out of the pump and continues to do so all the through the exhaust. Real similar to the fuel that I purchase when I am in Virginia. The premium stinks less.

How much oil are you looking to buy at one time?

I won't be buying that much. I buy a couple 6 packs of the ultra at a time so maybe a couple quarts at a time.

Oh goodie- a mix thread!

89 octane E10, with "Woodland Pro" synthetic at 50:1. Meets JASO, ISO specs; includes fuel stabilizer.

No non-E around here. Just don't put 'em away wet. :msp_rolleyes:

Shell Rotella 16:1.

I know someone who does, may be its 15:1, whatever 1 quart to 5 gallons like his Dad taught him. His bought new Echo 650 had the original spark plug in it last I saw it,20ish years . He cut a lot of firewood, fence rows for at least 10 years and still uses it some on the farm since he quit burning wood, Both his brothers and Dad run a lot of 2 cycles on it and I don't recall any engine issues with it. They all were smart enough to keep their air filters clean, carbs adjusted and other routine maintnence and they did have a habit of shaking the mix can and the saw before using. His Dad's Jn. Deere 70V set for something like 2 years with his fuel mix in it and started on the same fuel. Might have been aviation fuel, as his Dad did fly and maintain his personal air plane at home. Any way I witnessed him pull it out from under the work bench and tried to convince him to put new fuel in it before he tried, but he insisted it will start and it did in little more then a few pulls.
I mostly use Champion air cooled 2 cycle for about 15 years now at 28:1, works fine for me with no issues. I use 50:1 synthetic in my 4 mix and some of the equipment I get that don't have enough adjustment to open up the fuel flow. If I find an economical source of a good synthetic I would change ratio's for the most, probably about 40:1.

I am running stihl ultra at 36:1 but the price is getting to be crazy at my local dealers so I'm thinking about switching but don't really know what to try.

I was where you are at last year. IMO stihl ultra is hard to beat. lubes great and burns clean. I run 32:1 in all my saws but the real test was in the mill saws. tuned rich with 32:1 and they hardly have any carbon in the combustion chamber. I did my research and found out that Castrol SUPER 2 stroke oil is the same as stihl oil but way cheaper so I run that now. the SUPER is important. castrol make a standard oil too called the same thing but without the SUPER that apparently isn't as good but I've ran it before with the same results. I just like super ;) I have a buddy who runs husky xp oil at 20:1 :msp_rolleyes: and believe it or not he doesn't have carbon build up issues either. I tell him all the time that's a no good mix but he swears by it. his fuel looks like mud :bang: the only reason I even started with the stihl oil is cause one day I really needed oil but the husky dealer was closed and the stihl dealer was open. my buddy owns the stihl dealer and gives me a deal but he still can't beat the castrol price. castrol super 2 stroke all the way for me :rock:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back