What oil and mixture?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont understand how there can be such huge variations of mix? is this because a lot of you have ported saws so run them rich, as in anything other than 40:1 stihl recommends 50:1.Mixes above 50:1 would surely seize an engine would it not,I can only get one oil and it is branded stihl from my dealer I dont think it is synthetic and is made by castrol and blue color. can any one explain?

More oil=better ring seal=more power. The extra oil is protection and even in stock saws it won't hurt to run more than 50:1. I think the 50:1 is more epa friendly than saw friendly.

Are there any particular spark plugs that are preferred for the 32:1 or the 40:1 mixes?

spark plugs are same ,just retune the carb if too lean with the richer mixture

and what mdavlee said on the 50 to 1 ,they have to meet a certain emissions ,32 or 40 to 1 will give your crank bearings extra lube ,plus better ring seal ,i have torn down engines 50 to 1 and they were fairly dry inside and the 32 to 1 has nice coat of oil inside ,on a modded saw spinning up a little higher than stock i like the extra oil mix in the gas,its pretty simple to get 32 to 1 ,4 oz per gallon ,or 20 oz per 5 gal

100LL AvGas and Stihl Ultra or Bailey's Woodland Synthetic at somewhere around 40:1...depending on how much I spill when I'm mixing.

If you want a good deal on Bailey's oil you can buy it by the case or even a full pallet of cases.

spark plugs are same ,just retune the carb if too lean with the richer mixture

and what mdavlee said on the 50 to 1 ,they have to meet a certain emissions ,32 or 40 to 1 will give your crank bearings extra lube ,plus better ring seal ,i have torn down engines 50 to 1 and they were fairly dry inside and the 32 to 1 has nice coat of oil inside ,on a modded saw spinning up a little higher than stock i like the extra oil mix in the gas,its pretty simple to get 32 to 1 ,4 oz per gallon ,or 20 oz per 5 gal

Also a helpful hint. 1 fluid ounce is equal to 1/8th cup. I robbed a 1/8 measuring cup from the wife.

Switched from Redline racing @ 50:1 to Bel-Ray H1R @ 32:1 based on the heavy hardened carbon
deposits Randy found monkeying around with my saws recently....Lesson learned.
Also add a little Marine Sta-bil to my Premium (92) e-10 pump gas.

How much is a Quart of "Gary's-Goo" running these days?

John, I just use reg 89 oct. gas from Marathon, mixed at 40:1 with Woodland Pro syn. (from Baileys) Been running that for years now. Has a fuel additive (stabilizer) in it supposedly. I won't swear to it, but I think its the same oil as Husqvarna's XP syn oil.

As far as bar oil..I just use the TSC bar oil usually. If I happen to run out, I use Husqvarna bar oil, there is a dealer just a couple miles down the road. :D Saves a 30+ mile round trip to TSC, just to get bar oil.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Switched from Redline racing @ 50:1 to Bel-Ray H1R @ 32:1 based on the heavy hardened carbon
deposits Randy found monkeying around with my saws recently....Lesson learned.
Also add a little Marine Sta-bil to my Premium (92) e-10 pump gas.

How much is a Quart of "Gary's-Goo" running these days?

Interesting. I've never had carbon deposit issues with Redline, even with mixtures as thick as 25/1.

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/Two-Stroke Technical Info.pdf

How does that Belray smell compared to Maxima K2? :)

It doesn't really have a smell to it and is cheaper than H1R because it does have the additives to keep power valves clean. My good friend that races MX and works at the bike shop said its a waste to use H1R or Motul 800 (use 710 instead) in a OPE because they don't have the power valves H1R or 800 was meant for.

Last edited:
Stihl HP 40:1, been really pleased with it. 87 from the pump at Speedway, 91 at the pump from the marina (non ethanol), mostly fall/winter.

Interesting. I've never had carbon deposit issues with Redline, even with mixtures as thick as 25/1.

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/Two-Stroke Technical Info.pdf

Yea, It surprised me too when Randy mentioned it. I'm wasn't trying to bash any oil, but I'm sure if you ask he will confirm what I'm saying.
I can tell you I ran nothing but Redline racing @ 50:1 for quite a few years. It protected well obviously, as everything on the low ends was well lubricated (Had a nice shene of oil), and all showed little wear, but my oldest and most used saws (372/346) had a thick "Hard crusted" carbon deposits that he had a tough time removing while he was doing the port work.
I've used Amsoil also more recently @ 50:1 but the saws I sent that had only seen Amsoil were fine w/no deposits. Also have not likely used Amsoil long enough to form these deposits anyways.
I do typically cut at high altitude 6000-8000 ft and believe that could something to do with it.
Wouldn't have otherwise known as I never had a problem. Also these saws were not running overly rich.
I'm going to try his recommendation as there are few with anywhere near his experience.
Bottom line is "If you like and trust it, then stick with it".

Back