What oil and mixture?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the time you buy the gas,Fuel Medic,and xylene couldn't you just by the E free gas?

Fuel Medic barely factors into the cost as the recommended dose is like 1/2 Oz per gallon and the stuff is fairly cheap. Xylene is also not an expensive solvent at about $16/gallon and modern fuels are compromised IMHO, to meet EPA requirements (mostly) and are really designed to meet the needs of modern fuel injected 4 stroke car engines. Xylene was in the old fuel, the fuel our 2 strokes like. 8 Oz of Xylene costs me about $1. E free premium (the only E free grade available here) is around $5 a gallon. So, no the xylene + regular is still a bit cheaper at around $4.30.

Remember the oil companies used to leave the xylene and toluene in because it is a good fuel component with really no negative issues as far as engine performance and storage stability.

Jimbo

Fuel Medic barely factors into the cost as the recommended dose is like 1/2 Oz per gallon and the stuff is fairly cheap. Xylene is also not an expensive solvent at about $16/gallon and modern fuels are compromised IMHO, to meet EPA requirements (mostly) and are really designed to meet the needs of modern fuel injected 4 stroke car engines. Xylene was in the old fuel, the fuel our 2 strokes like. 8 Oz of Xylene costs me about $1. E free premium (the only E free grade available here) is around $5 a gallon. So, no the xylene + regular is still a bit cheaper at around $4.30.

Remember the oil companies used to leave the xylene and toluene in because it is a good fuel component with really no negative issues as far as engine performance and storage stability.

Jimbo

So you just put 8oz. of xylene into a gallon of gas? And you have home brew race fuel:msp_thumbup:

So you just put 8oz. of xylene into a gallon of gas? And you have home brew race fuel:msp_thumbup:

I wouldn't go that far. I have home brewed 91 octane at about the same cost as 91 octane pump, but with less E and more of the 'good' aromatic, Xylene. Now if you went to 30% Xylene, you'd have 96 octane but at a cost of about $6 a gallon. The sweet spot is at about 10-15%.

Jimbo

I'm trying some R50 in a few saws I just rebuilt right now. Some already have 2 gallons through them. I'll probably pull one of them apart soon to inspect. The super techniplate I think is the one that seems to leave the worst film.

Im Running Stihl orange bottle.....at 40:1 seems good so far.
My local dealer said since they moved to 50:1 he hasnt seen any issues because of that. and recommended 40:1 but said 50:1 wont have any problems.

I'm trying some R50 in a few saws I just rebuilt right now. Some already have 2 gallons through them. I'll probably pull one of them apart soon to inspect. The super techniplate I think is the one that seems to leave the worst film.

I have been told to stay away from the super techniplate. I did order some original techniplate...I've been advised that it was alot better in saws than the super. I was thinking about trying the R50 but wasn't sure about it.

Husky XP @ 32 to 1, premium non E, 1 oz. Seafoam gal. in everything but MS460. Switching to Belray H1R when I go through the 2 gal XP i have. Use Stihl Ultra @ 32-1 in my ported MS460.
Shep

Original is good if you have ethanol fuel since it mixes with alcohol well. I like the smell of original better than the R50.

I have been using Opti oil mixed at there recommended rate for 10 or so yrs.Good luck so far no oil related problems. My 2 cents!

Stihl synthetic at 50:1, jetted properly. All of my saws have been happy for a couple years now.

Back