What part of firewood do you like the least?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What part of firewood do you like the least?

• Stacking

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Kindling wood

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Transporting

Votes: 25 17.0%
  • Storage

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Clean up

Votes: 48 32.7%
  • Finding wood

Votes: 15 10.2%

• Total voters

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A little poll just for fun.

I'm assuming that everyone on this site more or less enjoys sawing and splitting, so I didn't include them as poll options.

We had this discussion yesterday and my gripe was kindling wood. I go through a lot of it, since I use it almost daily. It's easy for me to get, cause I cut up the Exmark and Cub Cadet pallets. But I hate doing it, and I hate busting it up with the hatchet. So kindling wood gets my vote.

Before I built my wood shed 10 years ago, I would have picked storage, because messing with tarps, the boards to hold them down, and all the snow and ice that was usually on them wasn't much fun at all. The buddy I was talking to absolutely hates stacking. Monotonous and boring he says. Two years ago he paid some Jamaican guy $100 to stack all his wood one day.

My ex-wife would no doubt have picked "clean up", as she thought the hearth should be swept up every time you opened the door to the stove. But her opinion doesn't matter any more now than it ever did.:givebeer:

well i voted transport, although i made 2 huge improvements on how i do it now. i can cut on my dads land about 15 miles away. problem is getting it outta the woods. i was cuttin it to log length and wheel barrowing it out of the woods. that sucked to say the least, i recently got a old crapsman tractor for 140$ with tire chains. that pulls the lawn trailer nicely through the woods.

actually now the more i think of it i hate getting all the brush outta the way the most now lol. tractor needs a clear path. Mike

Da Woodpiles

Da Woodpiles: the compulsion, unrequited, to drool, to lurk, to check out the wood piles whenever. It is uncontrollable.:chainsaw:

Well I gota say portage. Lugging the big rounds out of a backyard to the street where there is a nice lawn where you cant use any equipment other than a wheelbarrow or hand truck.

So I guess that goes under tranportation on the poll.

My vote is in and it would be , the clean-up.
Even cutting from fence rows. Dragging it into a pile takes it out of me much faster then cutting, splitting, throwing, loading, unloading and stacking. Of course maybe I am just about beat by the time we get ready to go back to town. It is usually the end of the day and the cleanup just finishes me off. By the time we get back home I dont mind the stacking so much. There is a clear and definite end in site. My favorite piece is the last one to go on the stack.

I have an indoor wood stove. I run about 7 cords a year through it, so I am bringing about 28,000 pounds of wood into my house each year. There always seems to be bark, splinters, ashes, etc. all over the place. I go through filters on my shop vac like they're going out of style. I love the warmth but I really don't like the mess.

yep.

It aint THAT bad for me,as most of my cutting/splitting is done on concrete and I just scoop it up and dump it in the low spot in the woods...

I should change my answer to transport because of the price of gas... :censored:

Clean up for sure. Due to space limitations I split the wood on the lawn next to the wood pile (or what would be lawn if it wasn't beat to crap.) Getting the embedded bark and splinters out and grass replanted is a never ending cycle.

clean up is the ol ladies job, he he. i have to say transporting. from the time you cut it, you transport it to the truck, transport it home, transport it to the splitter, transport it to be stacked, transport it in the house, tthen the stove, and it aint done yet, you still have to transport its remains.
:jawdrop:

I couldn't vote. There wasn't an option for all the above.:laugh:
I make my living thinning private property, it's mostly Pine & Fir so it's not worth much as firewood. I used to give it away in log lengths, but now no one wants it unless it's cut split & delivered.
What a pain.

Andy

The fact that I work daylight to dark when I have work and get paid to haul
it off and still could not afford a different heat source. I would gladly heat
with electricity if I could afford to!

My least favorite part of heating with wood is starting tha damn fire itself, I just hate it! I takes for ever to get a good bed of coals to produce good heat. I just got in the habit of cleaning the stove while a good bed of coals was going, take half of it out ash and coals and throw another log in afterwards, worked great. I bet I only had to start 10-15 fires since October to late April, and most of them were in April.

The cleanup for me as well. I have half my side yard where the grass does not grow because of all the bark and junk that sits while I am splitting and stacking. Just towards the fall when the grass starts growing again, I am out there splitting next years wood, killing my lawn all over again.

Transport Sucks!

Loading truck! Unloading truck! Big wood pile to Porch Pile! Porch Pile to basement! Enough already! Darn rug rat should be able to do something.

Kindling wood is just a easy by product for me. I keep a five gallon bucket by the splitter and fill it with mostly the oak splinters. I fill a couple of buckets at least for every cord of wood I split. Empty the buckets in either wood crates or a huge 80+ gallon stainless steel drum with a tight lid ($10 what a find). The drum also gets all the little branches and twigs.

Some wood I get is so dead and dry it is fun splintering it for kindling. Plant my a$$ on a log or chair just barely touch it with the splitter and it explodes apart. Log splitter doesn't move more than an inch or two.

Cleanup around the splitter is too bad. Surface is hard pack gravel/brick. I use a pitch fork or cotton seed fork (pitch fork with more tines closer together) to scoop up the bark into wheel barrel and off to the woods I go.

Saw maintenance use to be the worst. After finding this site, the online documentation and a little tool organization in a big plastic container I enjoy the task. Having the know how and the right tools handy make it enjoyable.
I am even fixing that POS stihl 024 after all these years.

Sorry for rambling.:cheers:

Bill

I do not like the clean up of the brush, seems pointless, albeit important. I guess that I figure that if I can not burn it, I don't want to pick it up eh?

Back