What pump to use on a splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I play to ditch the 2 stage pump and just run a big enough engine to run a single stage pump 22gpm+ (28gpm would be awesome).

Single stage hydraulic pump horse power requirement formula: gpm x psi / 1714 x % efficiency of pump = hp
With 2 stage pumps for gpm use the low flow/high pressure gpm. Normally 1/4 of rating example: 16 gpm = 4 gpm
(hp = horse power, gpm = gallon per minute without load, psi = pounds of pressure per square inch, 80% efficiency is a reasonable expectation for pumps).

Single stage pump at 2,500 psi with 80% pump efficiency:
11 gpm = 12.8 hp vs 5hp for 2 stage pump
13 gpm = 15.2 hp vs 6 hp
16 gpm = 18.7 hp vs 8 hp
22 gpm = 25.7 hp vs 10 hp
28 gpm = 32.7 hp vs 12 hp

Things to consider: Using my splitter for an example, with the 4-way wedge 85% of the time during the actual split, it stays in "high speed/low pressure" mode. It is always in "high speed/low pressure" mode on the return stroke. The amount of time is in "low speed/high pressure" mode is probably only 5% of the total cycle time. This is why 2 stage pumps are so popular for wood splitters.

For the small amount you save on splitting time vs the added expense of fuel used by the larger engine, it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Jim, I sent you a PM.

I have a brand new 28gpm pump and some other parts for sale.

Latest posts

Back