What saw do you recommend for me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you again 7sleeper. I really appreciate the amount of time you have spent on recommendations.

The budget I mentioned was just for the saw. I will be purchasing a helmet/ear/visor, chaps, gloves, boots before I make a single cut.

Speaking of which my wife and I used some loppers and a little hand saw to clear out over 30 evergreens to make way for the oak, beech, maple and ash. Now she says she wants a chainsaw. Hahaha
get her a stihl ms170 or maybe even a small ECHO.

A lot of opinions here.

Maybe the question should be "Which saw do you grab first when you need to go cut some wood?"

That may give you the answer.

I grab my 026/036 always. And I have 20 saws from 33 to 90+ CC.

Yeah, I have gotten a lot of good info. If I can find a nice 026 for a fair price I'd buy it.

Thank you again 7sleeper. I really appreciate the amount of time you have spent on recommendations.

The budget I mentioned was just for the saw. I will be purchasing a helmet/ear/visor, chaps, gloves, boots before I make a single cut.

Speaking of which my wife and I used some loppers and a little hand saw to clear out over 30 evergreens to make way for the oak, beech, maple and ash. Now she says she wants a chainsaw. Hahaha
Your welcome! No problem at all!

If you consider a "small" saw, that can also be used by your wife, I would recomend VERY much a saw with a "easy start system". If it has a spring assisted, "electric assisted" or a decompression button is totally irrelevant. Further I wouldn't go smaller than a ~40cc / >2.5hp saw. With a saw like that it is possible to cover the workfield of the smaller range of saws => 30-35cc AND to begin raiding into the workfield of a true 50cc saw. So you begin covering a few more fields than what a stupid expensive Stihl 170 could do for the same price. Further work progress as a team (man and wife handling each their own saw) will be MUCH faster.

Further generally as a saw pair it is thought the the pair should be about 20cc apart for optimum performance. So either 40 & 60cc, 50 & 70cc, etc.

As a last comment, there are alot of quality brands out there. These would be a few that went threw my mind (a few companies merged so the same product exist under different names)
Dolmar=Makita, Echo=Shindaiwa, Efco=Oleo Mac, Hitachi=Tanaka, Husqvarna=Jonsered, Solo=Cub Cadet, Stihl

What I don't understand is what look's have to do with a tool... For me, it is all to obvious, that if a tool/chainsaw looks nice but doesn't perform I can just as well throw it away. If a tool performs well and looks ugly you can be certain I WILL recomend it!

A lot of opinions here.

Maybe the question should be "Which saw do you grab first when you need to go cut some wood?"

It will always be a 346xp, nothing to discuss really! ;)

The Stihl saws are seriously handicapped by the inboard clutch and the sluggish rpm spool-up. They work fine, just not inspiring. The sluggishness could be caused by an inefficient top end porting, too small carbs, or a combination of both - most likely both.

A lot of opinions here.

I usually grab a 38&62cc combo, with that almost all wood that a firewooder, here in europe, encounters can be easily & safely taken down. But I also have 25 - 90cc+ at need. I might add that here in europe we can cut a tree from both sides so a longer bar than 20 inch is seldom needed.

niko your a hoot man.
you base hard facts on personal preference and opinion.if i were politically correct i'd even say your a bit racist.but not being politically correct i'd just say you need to get your troll ass out of Norway.

It will always be a 346xp, nothing to discuss really! ;)

The Stihl saws are seriously handicapped by the inboard clutch and the sluggish rpm spool-up. They work fine, just not inspiring.
My lord man........
Sinking to inboard clutch.......You sound like a TV evangelist (Gods professional wrestlers) yelling at the top of his lungs trying to convince himself. Lol
Hope all is good in your world Ol Buddy.

I wanted to give you guys an update. Found a nice 026 on craigslist. I paid $225, it was a homeowner saw it's whole life, and sat for the last several years as the owner was getting up there in age. It runs like a top.

It's got "Made in USA" on the side, and has a red master control. Someone told me that the ones with the red lever run strongest.. (?).

Thing seems to run really strong.

And here's the funny part, I'm down visiting my parents, and it turns out the saw my dad uses, and I used in the past, was an 026. Hahaha..

Here is my saw, and my saw next to my dad's. I'm still laughing that I did all this research, and my dad didn't realize it was a 'pro saw'. He owned a Mcculloch before this that he said was always a PITA. He has always raved about how much he likes his Stihl, though. Go figure.

I also picked up a pair of Stihl chaps and helmet. I broke one of the damn plastic clips that holds the visor screen on the helmet though.

LRsQ4RH.jpg

9gpVUnx.jpg

Back