What saw do you recommend for me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Growing up and living where I do kind of influenced that comment. Some people on the west coast forget there are large trees elsewhere in the U.S. lol

Here is a pic of a sugar maple on the property. Wife for scale.

Would never ever cut this tree. I hope my great, great, great grandchildren don't either. We have big trees in NY.

cOBTjK4.jpg

Growing up and living where I do kind of influenced that comment. Some people on the west coast forget there are large trees elsewhere in the U.S. lol
Nothing like you guys, I lived in Northern California for a couple of years and that's one of the things I miss is the large conifers.

1 to 3 cords of mostly 12-16" wood - you could prolly get by with almost any 50cc saw if you are good at keeping a sharp chain, but you might as well get something that will future proof you if you get into more production and/or bigger wood.

my 2 cents - a strong 50 cc is all you need at that size wood - but a strong 60cc saw will give you more power in the cut and enable you to go to larger wood in future.

For your budget on a used Husqvarna - (buy used carefully) 346xp with 18" bar, or maybe a good used 357xp if you can find one.
- more money buying new would be a 545/18" bar or 555/20" bar, but if you hang around here for long, you'll probably end up wanting the 60cc Husky screamer - 562xp with 20" bar :sweet: but that would definitely be way overkill for 3 cords a year.

Stihl and echo guys will have their own list, but I'm partial to Husky these days. My only caveat would be to stay away from home owner saws if you think you might ramp up production or intend on keeping the saw for some years.

I agree, the MS260 is a good choice, as well as a 350 or 346 husky. An Echo CS590 is another great choice and will give you more power to pull a 20" bar. If you think you need more saw, a used 262xp, 365 or 372xp would run you $400-500 in good condition and handle good sized wood.

Thank you all for the great information. I am going to do some more research on all the saws everyone has recommended, but this has really helped me out a lot and pointed me in the right direction.

It seems like 60cc may be the way to go, and I would be able to get by limbing, at least for a few years, with that size.

This is an awesome message board.

Thank you all for the great information. I am going to do some more research on all the saws everyone has recommended, but this has really helped me out a lot and pointed me in the right direction.

It seems like 60cc may be the way to go, and I would be able to get by limbing, at least for a few years, with that size.

This is an awesome message board.

Husky 346xp or new 545 or 550xp 50cc saws are made to be nimble, lightweight limbing saws that will also cut firewood 12-16" with ease. But if you don't mind a couple extra pounds, then 60cc will future proof you for larger wood to 20" or more very easily. I used a 346xp on its own for years even on 20"+ wood on occasion, and when I get a little older, will likely go back to that weight of saw or its newer equivalent again.

In the meantime, running my 562xp is like putting a testosterone patch on this senior and not something I will easily give up :D . . . from my cold dead hands etc etc etc

Here is a pic of a sugar maple on the property. Wife for scale.

Would never ever cut this tree. I hope my great, great, great grandchildren don't either. We have big trees in NY.

cOBTjK4.jpg

I am gonna inject a little reality here but on a positive note.....you will cut a tree like that some day because big trees have problems poor structure lightning hits storm damage ect....I love trees ...i'm a sugar maker but they come and go management is the key.....as to a saw....here we go my almost standard answer. What ya got for a good dealer because they could be more than just a place to buy a saw....you in a remote area don't know too many folks yet well your power shop could be the place where you begin to network with folks that know woods and can help ya out. I have learned that a 60cc saw can just about do it all like used stuff hunt down a 036pro or something along those lines. 026.....they get a lot of hype I had one it was a loner and almost impossible to blow up but really best suited for a 16in bar .325 in my opinion but I digress....have more than on saw if your on this site with that land you will have at least 3 saws within two years....

good luck have fun and be safe don't cut alone out there if you can help it

sap can

I love these kind of questions. First off, decide how big of wood you will be cutting, that dictates size and set up of saw. Remember to always use the smallest bar you can, not necessarily the smallest saw. Then set a budget- which you did. Then determine your mechanical ability to fix and maintain a chainsaw, if you are mechanically capable, than that brings used saws into the picture. and lastly, if you are not brand specific, visit your local dealers, find which ones are good to work with, and try their products. The BEST chainsaw is one that will run when you need it, and if it doesnt run when you need it, can someone local fix it or sell maintenance items? these are all way more important than any brand name. Period. Look at my picture, you can guess what brand i prefer, but that is because there are numerous stihl dealers around that are super to work with. I have never in my life in my area seen a Husqvarna, efco or Echo dealer. we do have dolmar, so those are my personal options, stihl or dolmar. I like the MS 390s, i especially love the 026 you mentioned, power to weight with them is top notch in my experience, as i own 2 of them. however, you are limited in my mind to a 18 inch bar, But, with an 18 inch bar you can cut a 3 foot tree, with patience. Also i like the 360s, the 361, and i could not live without my 046s. Pick knowledgeable support, and that will lead you to your saw, I know it in my heart to be true! also in my woodcutting frame of mind- scrounge wood. cut dead trees that are down, and cut the dead trees that are standing. I am very fortunate enough to not have to cut down any live trees to make wood, and I encourage others to do the same if it allows. Happy hunting, and remember to keep the chain in the wood.

You can get 3 cord out of 1 tree.

i'm sitting here wondering what you call a cord? 3 cord out of one tree would take a massive tree. a 3' at the ass fir here split and stacked is a cord. it is my understanding a 3' fir is a big tree back east. 3' firs are the pest tree's growing out of foundations and such around here. :numberone: is it possible you are confusing a legit cord for a face cord?

i'm sitting here wondering what you call a cord? 3 cord out of one tree would take a massive tree. a 3' at the ass fir here split and stacked is a cord. it is my understanding a 3' fir is a big tree back east. 3' firs are the pest tree's growing out of foundations and such around here. :numberone: is it possible you are confusing a legit cord for a face cord?
Hardwoods have limbs, they add up. I have a friend who got 5 cord out of 1 oak tree.

Back