What saw would you choose?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeX0rz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
:pumpkin2:The Johnny 2095 looks to be a great buy, but there seemed to be lots of good options to you, do you just need a saw, or do you need a saw for specific application? The 2095 would definitely cut anything, but would be pretty big for a firewood saw. :pumpkin2:

There is rarely more than a few saws at a time on CL in AK. Thats quite a selection. The 2095 is not a firewood saw I have one and unless you weigh 300 plus its oversize. I bought mine for milling and I have bucked logs w/ it but the ms 361 and 290 use are great for firewood I should look I have a few jonsred saws and a big echo I havent dug out for years.

Last edited:
I will mostly do firewood. I will eventually try and get a mill setup for some wood cutting. Mostly firewood though. I want something thats just gonna eat the wood like no tomorrow.

Most trees here are seemingly no larger in DBH of 36".

It may be quit the selection of saw, but it seems like they never follow through. I tried to get a mini mac off of a guy on CL and he flaked on me today. I wanted it and was willing to pay the money! He said I was the only caller, I dont get it...

What do you guys think about some of the stihl AV saws on there? Is any of the stihl av models good? If it is not going to be the jonsered, I was thinking a 60cc or so saw would be good for firewood.

If I got the jonsered, I would put a 20" or a 24" bar on it. But yea, it weighs a hefty 17lbs!

There's a lot of nice saws on there. How much are you looking to spend ? I'd go with a 60-70cc saw. Depending on how big the wood is going to be. If you cut 36" wood all the time, that 2095 would kick ass.:chainsawguy:

I was looking to spend about $450 max. I really did not want to get a new saw because if I did, it would cost me too much for the type of power I would like. Cheaper price on a higher powered saw, I would not think you could beat. I would not mind an older used saw for cheaper, but I will be pickier. There was an ad for a husky 61, but the guy is only interested in specific trades no cash. Which I think is just weird. I would say on average the trees here average a DBH of about 24". I saw another ad of a Jonsered on there that was $500 for a 2071. Its a 70 something CC saw. I would cough up the extra $50 for it if the 2095 was that much of an overkill. As long as I do not regret getting a 70 something cc saw over having a 93 cc saw!

Last edited:
My biggest saw is only 55.5cc with a 20" bar and it has cut Everything I ever asked it too. A 50ish cc saw with a sharp chain will whip a 70ish + cc saw with a dull chain. I couldn't ever imagine using a 90cc saw for firewood gathering. I'm moving up to Lighter/Faster, these 18+lb saws are killing me (my back). I have no problem picking up a 150lb log to put it on the trailer, but hoisting aroung a Big azz saw all day isn't any fun.

Last edited:
I cut majority of my firewood w/ 47-60cc saws...I really have no need for some of the saws I have 395XP in particular. Sure is nice to have it when you need it.
Long story short if you ask this question here your gonna end up with a few saws.

Which ever saw you decide to go with, do a search on this site to get information about it before you buy it. There's a lot of information here to help you make a better decision.

I guess I am the oposite I have a 288xp (roughly 89 cc and 22 lbs ready to cut) with an 8 pin sprocket. It is the go to saw for me even though I have a solo 662 which is 4 lbs lighter. When I am cutting wood I am in get-er-done mode and that old husky will get-er-done. Yesterday I was helping a buddy cut up a locust and he finaly just put his farm boss away and gave up. I was making 2 1/2 cuts to his one. I like the extra power and the 8 pin sprocket puts it to good use. I would like to have a 12 lb saw for limbing but anything over 8" give me my big saw I want to get-er-done.

It is up to you a big saw and cut in an hour and a half or a little saw and cut for 2 or 2 1/2.

I guess I am the oposite I have a 288xp (roughly 89 cc and 22 lbs ready to cut) with an 8 pin sprocket. It is the go to saw for me even though I have a solo 662 which is 4 lbs lighter. When I am cutting wood I am in get-er-done mode and that old husky will get-er-done. Yesterday I was helping a buddy cut up a locust and he finaly just put his farm boss away and gave up. I was making 2 1/2 cuts to his one. I like the extra power and the 8 pin sprocket puts it to good use. I would like to have a 12 lb saw for limbing but anything over 8" give me my big saw I want to get-er-done.

It is up to you a big saw and cut in an hour and a half or a little saw and cut for 2 or 2 1/2.

You got that right. Since I got my Dolmar PS 7900 I don't even want to use my 50cc range saws anymore, except to cut out the big boy when I get it stuck.

I was looking to spend about $450 max. I really did not want to get a new saw because if I did, it would cost me too much for the type of power I would like. Cheaper price on a higher powered saw, I would not think you could beat. I would not mind an older used saw for cheaper, but I will be pickier. There was an ad for a husky 61, but the guy is only interested in specific trades no cash. Which I think is just weird. I would say on average the trees here average a DBH of about 24". I saw another ad of a Jonsered on there that was $500 for a 2071. Its a 70 something CC saw. I would cough up the extra $50 for it if the 2095 was that much of an overkill. As long as I do not regret getting a 70 something cc saw over having a 93 cc saw!

If your average DBH is going to be about 24" then a 70cc saw would be the one to get. Yeah smaller saws will do the job but the 70 will do it with ease. I would recommend another smaller saw for limbing though.

If your average DBH is going to be about 24" then a 70cc saw would be the one to get. Yeah smaller saws will do the job but the 70 will do it with ease. I would recommend another smaller saw for limbing though.

I agree. I wouldn't want to cut 24" wood with anything under 70cc. I'd say get the 70cc saw and then save up for a 50cc saw. A 372xp and 346xp would work out well. Bigger saw first though.

Alright, you have convinced me. I'll look into the Jonsered 2071. My question though, is this a reliable model? Anyone know about this one in particular? I was trying to get my hands on a mini mac for limbing but it seems the deal has fallen through.

Oh well... There is another mini mac on there I guess I'll try and look into.

Well, I called on the Jonsered 2071 and the guy had already sold it. He actually used to be a chainsaw dealer in california for the Jonsereds and Shindaiwas.

He said a shindaiwa 757 would be a good one or the 2095 jonsered. But, he said the weight will get to you in no time at all.

So I went off again in search for something that is good and priced right. I found a Husqvarna 372 for $450. Its like the Jonsered 2071, right?

Looks like its a pretty common and popular saw, right?

Buy an old Husky 289xp and have ported and polished that kicks but for firewood cuttin'. Should be able to find one cheap. Even if you had to throw a new piston in it- totally good saw for buckin' small wood 24" 36".

Latest posts

Back