What saw would you choose?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 372 would get heavy quick if I were limbing with it for very long but it's a good start until you can buy a smaller saw. If you have any doubts about the 372 being good you can always wait and buy another one.

If that Jonsered is practically new it's a steal at $450.

The 372 would get heavy quick if I were limbing with it for very long but it's a good start until you can buy a smaller saw. If you have any doubts about the 372 being good you can always wait and buy another one.

If that Jonsered is practically new it's a steal at $450.

Yes, a steal it may be, but the weight of it, my gosh... :dizzy:

I don't get it... Everyone puts an ad on CL to sell their saws and every freaking single ad I respond to, they either respond to me once and then quit after or they don't respond at all!

I called the guy with the 372xp and left a message. His voicemail inbox is how I found out he was an arborist. I called him again about an hour or so after I left a voicemail and he did not pick up. Still have not received a call from him.

I do not get it, does everyone who as an ad on CL to sell their saws wanna sell me a freakin' saw or what?!

Makes me feel like buyin the Jonsered. Well, that is if te guy wants to pick up his phone too...

Patience.:)

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but:

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...8f167f396637c29d88256c2e0073560e?OpenDocument

This is my current firewood saw. It weighs almost just as much as the Jonsered 2095. Except te jonsered has much more power. I can handle my McCulloch all day long... I get more sore from playing around with the large rounds than handling the saw.

If I got the jonsered and only used it to fell a tree and bucked up the logs at the truck and used a smaller saw for te smaller tasks, would it be that much of a drain on me?

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but:

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...8f167f396637c29d88256c2e0073560e?OpenDocument

This is my current firewood saw. It weighs almost just as much as the Jonsered 2095. Except te jonsered has much more power. I can handle my McCulloch all day long... I get more sore from playing around with the large rounds than handling the saw.

If I got the jonsered and only used it to fell a tree and bucked up the logs at the truck and used a smaller saw for te smaller tasks, would it be that much of a drain on me?

You really want that 2095, don't you?:laugh:

I still think you should wait for a 70cc saw, but if you bought the 2095, you could use it for a while, then sell it for a profit or trade for a smaller saw. That Jonsered will hold it's value well.

Try to wait if you can. You won't regret buying a 70cc saw. They're lighter and more powerful than what you're use to.

Good luck.:chainsaw:

You really want that 2095, don't you?:laugh:

I still think you should wait for a 70cc saw, but if you bought the 2095, you could use it for a while, then sell it for a profit or trade for a smaller saw. That Jonsered will hold it's value well.

Try to wait if you can. You won't regret buying a 70cc saw. They're lighter and more powerful than what you're use to.

Good luck.:chainsaw:

Buddy, I'm craving to cut wood! I sure would not mind having the jonsered. I could mill wood too if I needed. I do want to someday build my own log house, and if I could get my hands on some tightly grained wood, it sure would make some NICE countertops for the wife!

I'm gonna call that guy with te 372xp on a diff. number and see if he picks up. Maybe I will catch him off guard, lol.

ITs so tempting to get that jonsered! He put a new ad on CL recently and now its $400 for it!

Buddy, I'm craving to cut wood! I sure would not mind having the jonsered. I could mill wood too if I needed. I do want to someday build my own log house, and if I could get my hands on some tightly grained wood, it sure would make some NICE countertops for the wife!

I'm gonna call that guy with te 372xp on a diff. number and see if he picks up. Maybe I will catch him off guard, lol.

ITs so tempting to get that jonsered! He put a new ad on CL recently and now its $400 for it!

If the 2095 was near me, I'd buy and resell it. $400. is cheap.

:) I would have to put it to some use first! Shoot, I guess when it comes time to pass through the goes town I'll see if he still has it for sale and get it from him... It can't hurt to have a woodeater like it and I can resell it for more. Well, as long as is story holds water that it was barely ever even used...

Couldn't I put a 20" bar on that beast

:) I would have to put it to some use first! Shoot, I guess when it comes time to pass through the goes town I'll see if he still has it for sale and get it from him... It can't hurt to have a woodeater like it and I can resell it for more. Well, as long as is story holds water that it was barely ever even used...

Couldn't I put a 20" bar on that beast

20" bar would not be a problem.

You won't know the condition until you look. Could be a mint condition saw that was too big for a homeowners needs, or could have been beat up by loggers. Looks good in the pictures though.

Dude just go buy the Johnny. Offer him $375 and if you get if for that price then buy the 372XP. I bet you'll use the 372XP more, but it's the beginning of CAD. You'll eventually get a 60cc and 50cc saw to complement and you'll have a great 4 Saw plan.

The wife is really at end with me on the jonsered. She don't want me gettn such a heavy saw... I think I'll still get it though and sit in the doghouse. :popcorn: Shes worried about me using such a heavy saw for work. Her dad got fatigued one day sawing up wood and he almost cut his arm off.

Oh, I understand that stuff can happen. Sawing your arm off is no fun. But like you guys say. If I can trade it for another or sell it, more power to me!

I wonder what the guy will think when he see his saw on CL? lol...

Dude, Its a saw. If you want the 2095 buy it. It's not Cancer ! if you hate it after a while you can sell it or trade it. Many of us will buy it just cause we don't already have one or two of them. don't sweat these things too much buy the darn thing and have fun with it. Personally I like my 385 more then the 395 because it has a outboard clutch. I hate changing the chain on my 395 with a 36" bar. the front chain tightener sux too. that being said...chix dig the long bar and when you need a big bar there is no replacement for displacement. I got a 066 with a 20" bar that just bleepin rips. Man that is one hot firewood set up.

in the end the man with the most toys wins. see ya at the finish line !!!

I'm not the type of person that will just go off and buy a saw and then sell it if I do not feel it works for me. I like to do all my research and see if its even good from the get go...

Needless to say, I FINALLY got me a little limbing saw! I've been looking for one, and I tried a guy out for a little mac 3200. He said the one he was advertising had a broken bar oil cap. No repair for it either because the threads to the oil resevoir were stripped. How, I dunno. It was for $25.

Guy says he has another one just like it. Except it is $65 and its brand new. BOY! He was not kidding! I met him at his house and I checked it out. Brand spanking new McCulloch 3200 with a 14" bar. Still was in the box and had manual.

He started it up and demonstrated it by cutting on some wood. PERFECT! I gave him the money and we talked for about an hour so after that. Really cool guy. Does small engine repair on the side. I told him to take my name and number if he happened to come across a 60-80cc saw. He showed me a Stihl 044 instead. It has a 28" bar and he said he redid the topend. Felt like it weighed about 14-15lbs with the bar. He started it up and did a cut and I was impressed.

He said he would sell it to me for $415. I do not know a thing about a stihl. I have never dealt wit them and have little faith in them because of it. I was told they are not as good as a husky because of more moving parts, air filter was not as great, etc.

I looked on the net and the 044 has 70cc's or so 5.5hp. Its definitely what I'm looking for in a saw. I just want to make sure its worth it and if parts are easy to come by.

Whatcha guys think? He said he would hold onto it for me...

OH, and here is a pic of the saw I picked up off of him! Its a 32cc saw:
1104002137.jpg

Last edited:
On your Mac pull the limiter's off then open that muffler up...you'll be suprised by what gains you will see.
Sounds like a pretty good price on the 044...I've never run one but it ranks up their with the Husky 372 in reputation. Don't think I've ever read anything negative about that model. Parts shouldn't be a problem.
I'd ask him what he did when he says he redid the topend. New rings? Piston? Piston and cylinder? What type of piston/cylinder did he put back in it? There are different levels of quality in P/C's.
Good luck!

I'm not quit sure what you mean about pulling the limiters off and opening up the muffler. Is there a rev limiter your talking about? Do you mean opening up the exhaust holes or gutting out the muffler?

I was hoping someone on here has an 044 so they could tell me if $415 is a good price. The guy said before he worked on it, it had low compression. So he said he redid the topend to fix it. I would IMO assume that would be oversized piston and rings. I'll make sure to ask him about it when I meet with him again. I've been reading the net and I have not seen a negative comment about this model, yet. Still do not tell me whether $415 is a good price for it.

I'm not quit sure what you mean about pulling the limiters off and opening up the muffler. Is there a rev limiter your talking about? Do you mean opening up the exhaust holes or gutting out the muffler?

I was hoping someone on here has an 044 so they could tell me if $415 is a good price. The guy said before he worked on it, it had low compression. So he said he redid the topend to fix it. I would IMO assume that would be oversized piston and rings. I'll make sure to ask him about it when I meet with him again. I've been reading the net and I have not seen a negative comment about this model, yet. Still do not tell me whether $415 is a good price for it.

If it's in good shape, $415. is a good price. Try to get it for $350. if you can.

I don't own a 044, but from what I've heard, they're a good saw.

The guy had a price tag on it for $425 and he said, "oh, I'd let it go for $415 if ya wanted it." I would think $350 would offend him, lol.

Assuming I can get ahold of him and see him again and it does not fall through like all the other CL ads, I will try and pick it up off him for as low as I can get it from him for. Its a curveball thrown into my pursuits but it sure will beat the jonsered 2095 in terms of weight.

I'll let ya guy know how it all goes!

Well, I be a brand new owner of a stihl! I sure hope I do not regret buying a stihl chainsaw! I could not talk him down on price for it. He said he as never sold a saw under $500 that was a professional saw. So to him, I saved $85. He said the top end he rebuilt was the piston, rings, and wristpin. The cylinder was refinished. I believe that he did what he did. Using the pull cord, I can definitely tell there is alot of compression.

Although, when he showed it to me last night there was barely any fuel in it. It had just enough to show me that it ran. Therefore I can't use it until I go back home and cut wood...

I wanna go home, lol... :chainsawguy:

AGAIN, btw, here is the new addition to the fam!
1105002137.jpg

Last edited:
Back