What say you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the future of saws is electric. How that affects the weight idk but if you could build a light weight battery that would last at least 4 hours of straight cutting then gas engine will be obsolete. You would need 2 or 3 battery’s for a full day. But I do agree that there is a point where you sacrifice durability to save weight. However new and better compounds can create better material to build with. You never know someone could invent something lighter and stronger than x and boom your saws weigh half as much and cost 2x more
Battery saws will be the future. Once the tech gets their you won't want anything else lol

Battery saws will be the future. Once the tech gets their you won't want anything else lol

Maybe True for some, but Definitely not All

I can’t imagine myself preferring a battery saw to a Gas Saw, anymore than I would prefer a Tractor Trailer with an Automatic transmission. I have been a truck driver for more than 32 years, and have over 3,000,000 miles experience, and I Absolutely Despise driving a truck with an Automatic, especially in Mountainous, or Winter driving conditions. I don’t even care for them in City driving

Call me a Dinosaur, but I will Happily keep my Gas powered Saws, and manual transmissions

Doug.

I can’t imagine myself preferring a battery saw to a Gas Saw, anymore than I would prefer a Tractor Trailer with an Automatic transmission. I have been a truck driver for more than 32 years, and have over 3,000,000 miles experience, and I Absolutely Despise driving a truck with an Automatic, especially in Mountainous, or Winter driving conditions. I don’t even care for them in City driving

Call me a Dinosaur, but I will Happily keep my Gas powered Saws, and manual transmissions

Doug.
I like this!

Doug.
I too enjoy a good manual transmission. An electric motor has way more torque than a comparable gas engine. Imagine a truck with no transmission at all just torque

I too enjoy a good manual transmission. An electric motor has way more torque than a comparable gas engine. Imagine a truck with no transmission at all just torque

The transmission, keeps the engine in its Torque curve, but I can shift an Un-Synchronized transmission without the clutch Smoother than any of the automatics in any Class 8 truck that I have driven, and that is particularly important on Snow and Ice.

With MANY of the large trucks with automatics that I have driven, the stall is set too high(not something that a driver can do anything about) and easing up to a dock is impossible, especially if you have to back up a slope, or even under a trailer

Doug

Doug.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

Been thinking about all the new tech in some of these saws and some even getting lighter and lighter. Do you think at some point some manufacturers will sacrifice durability just to shed weight? Saws that come to mind as examples are the 462 and 500i. Not picking on those, just thought they were good examples of high power saws that definitely punch above their weight. Obviously the 462 has proven its self but at a certain point do we think saws will stop dropping weight because they might not stand the test of time?
Maybe this is dumb to think about but just for me thinking.
I am absolutely sure they will, just look at how they’ve cheapened cars. However, saws are more of a niche market unlike cars where almost everyone has one. Kind of like how most stuff is made in China now.

Back