What the He!! have I bought now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm really going to have to stop looking on ebay after I've been drinking.

I ended up with this the other night.

DSC01275.jpg

It looked bad in the picture, it looks really bad in person.

DSC01279.jpg

I thought it might be another 028 which I have a few parts knocking about for, so I thinks, what the hell. It's amazing how simple things are after a few drinks.

DSC01276.jpg

The ad said spares or repairs, non-runner. What it didn't say was dragged from a river. This thing doesn't just look dirty, it looks diseased! The photos don't do it justice. The black isn't oil or crap, it's something fungal which does at least look long dead.

DSC01278.jpg

Any ideas, certainly not the 028 I thought it was, maybe an 038?

Regards,
Stupid

rmihalek

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Just looks like some cosmetic damage. Some good parts cleaning solution, new gaskets, fresh wiring and tubing and maybe some new bearings and a top end and I'm sure she'll be a runner!

Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Haven't got to it yet. The inner muffler bolts are fast. I've oiled them and am leaving it over night before I round the heads trying too hard.

It is seized, but then everything on it is. plenty oil down the plug hole, see if we can't get things moving.

bcorradi

bcorradi

Arboristsite.com Sponsor
It appears to be an 038 super. I guess worse case scenario you can always part it out. Good used 038 gas tanks will bring over $100.

BTW: Weren't you looking for chainbrak parts for your 038 anyhow?

Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ironic really, drinking caused me to buy it, it will cause me to spend my drinking money on it thus keeping me from drinking

Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
It's been somewhere very damp for a long time is my guess. The flywheel is rusted to the ignition unit.

The more I look, the more it looks to be mostly all there and not too beat up, other than the heavy corrosion.

Woodie

Woodie

"Cap'n Bullcrap'n"
No, not me, this will be my first 038 (maybe last)

The one thing that does actually work is the chain brake

You sure that's not the piston 'acting' as the chain brake? :)

I guess one thing you could do is take that chain brake off, then attach a new 038 to it? :)

Damn Dan...I'm not being helpful at all tonight... :)

One word of advice, though...don't spend your drinkin' money fixin' this thing. Spend something else, but not'cher drinkin' money. That's just not right. You gotta have priorities, Dan.

Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
You sure that's not the piston 'acting' as the chain brake? :)

I guess one thing you could do is take that chain brake off, then attach a new 038 to it? :)

Damn Dan...I'm not being helpful at all tonight... :)

One word of advice, though...don't spend your drinkin' money fixin' this thing. Spend something else, but not'cher drinkin' money. That's just not right. You gotta have priorities, Dan.

:hmm3grin2orange: :cheers: :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah, there's always that money I was gonna send the orphanage

Dan Forsh

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
well, what did it cost ya? Hopefully shipping was more than the saw.

I was waiting for someone to ask that.

All in about £70, which roughly is I think about $125 US.

Before you think I'm totally mad bear in mind saws command a higher price here in the UK.... even this one.