What the Stihl dealer said

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That dealer is full of BS although if he is a pizz poor tech then yeah the strat charged saw may give him a fit. I feel sorry for him if he really feels that way about the 441 because come in alittle over 14 months all Stihl saws are gonna be like that 441, whats he gonna do then,LOL

With all due respect, I don't think the guy is a piss poor tech. The amount of wood cutting, timber falling and tree services in this area is very high. If he didn't know what he is doing he would be out of business. I don't know where you live, but I would imagine it has to do with elevation.

Now I just have to figure out what to get the 372 or the 460. Price may play a factor. I know the old saying, you get what you pay for, however that remains to be seen.

Last edited:
If the small difference in weight makes people upset then they need to grow a pair.

I think the weight IS a worthwhile thing to look at. Working all day with the saw, I'd definately rather have a lighter saw. The heavier the saw, the quicker fatigue sets in and thats when accidents happen. I know the difference is a pound or two, but it will become apparent after a couple hours of use. Why make the job harder than it already is? If your cutting for a half hour at a time, then it don't matter as much. I personally don't see where the 441 fits in the line-up. Same weight with less power than the 460. Now when the 460 ends up 2 pounds heavier and has another .2 horse, then maybe the 441 will have it's place in the line-up. We'll find out in a year or two.

I think the weight IS a worthwhile thing to look at. Working all day with the saw, I'd definately rather have a lighter saw. The heavier the saw, the quicker fatigue sets in and thats when accidents happen. I know the difference is a pound or two, but it will become apparent after a couple hours of use. Why make the job harder than it already is? If your cutting for a half hour at a time, then it don't matter as much. I personally don't see where the 441 fits in the line-up. Same weight with less power than the 460. Now when the 460 ends up 2 pounds heavier and has another .2 horse, then maybe the 441 will have it's place in the line-up. We'll find out in a year or two.

I agree, but to an extent. I personally don't notice the 1lb or so. The more powerful the saw, the less time you actually spend carrying it around.

I grew up using an 041 and got used to that weight, so the 441 feels right weight wise.

That dealer is full of BS although if he is a pizz poor tech then yeah the strat charged saw may give him a fit. I feel sorry for him if he really feels that way about the 441 because come in alittle over 14 months all Stihl saws are gonna be like that 441, whats he gonna do then,LOL

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l15/THALL10326/?action=view&current=hardwood.flv

Music is by Presley, sawing is by the King,LOL

I'm assuming that Stihl has service info updates and classes so the techs can service the new saws. Schoolteachers have to go to all kinds of "professional development" to learn the "current best practices" in education. A company as good as Stihl would likely require any authorized service dept to keep its certification current.

With all due respect, I don't think the guy is a piss poor tech. The amount of wood cutting, timber falling and tree services in this area is very high. If he didn't know what he is doing he would be out of business. I don't know where you live, but I would imagine it has to do with elevation.

Now I just have to figure out what to get the 372 or the 460. Price may play a factor. I know the old saying, you get what you pay for, however that remains to be seen.

Welp with all due respect I still say he is full of BS and let me explain why. Come 2010 he is going to have no choice but sell 441's because every saw Stihl will make will be strato charged like the 441 to meet EPA standards. The old standards like the 361,460,660 will be gone due to EPA regulations. So my point is if he saying the 441 is a POS what is planning on selling come 2010.

Far as the 372 verses the 460 choose from whoever is dealing close to your home. Both are good runners.

Hahaha....just what I was looking for.

Thanks for righting me in my ways.:monkey:

Did you figure out what it's 'missing' in the cut yet?:cry:

Welp Mr.Peacock according to my va diddy o there is nothing missing in the cut,LOLOL

Actually, I sort of agree - it isn't much of an issue, if you know how to deal with it.

Whatttttttttttttttttttttttt, ok, who are you, did you steal Sawtroll's computer, I'm calling da law on ya right now,LOL

Welp with all due respect I still say he is full of BS and let me explain why. Come 2010 he is going to have no choice but sell 441's because every saw Stihl will make will be strato charged like the 441 to meet EPA standards. The old standards like the 361,460,660 will be gone due to EPA regulations. So my point is if he saying the 441 is a POS what is planning on selling come 2010.

Far as the 372 verses the 460 choose from whoever is dealing close to your home. Both are good runners.

Maybe he will just get so pissed off come 2010 that he will lose it and close up shop. :) Stranger things have happened.

Maybe he will just get so pissed off come 2010 that he will lose it and close up shop. :) Stranger things have happened.

Well that may well be the case. That said get the saw you want now because in 14 months all the saws we like today will be history. :cheers:

Well that may well be the case. That said get the saw you want now because in 14 months all the saws we like today will be history. :cheers:

Tommie,

Ah yes. But, take heart, the tepid Folgers and Brylcream will remain the same.

Long live Elvis,

Joat

EPA standards are based on a company as a whole. Stihl has very clean (4-MIX) and not so clean (MS 200T). One product can lift another. Your opinion may be very true, but at this point,it is pure speculation. If any saw is going, its the MS200T.(pure speculation on my part). I remember how everyone hated that saw when it was introduced. My my how opinions change. Same will hold true with the MS441. Refinement is the basic German engineering strategy. We will most likely see more chips used in fuel metering systems ig Ms280. They should have made that an option on a MS460.

Last edited:
EPA standards are based on a company as a whole. Stihl has very clean (4-MIX) and not so clean (MS 200T). One product can lift another. Your opinion may be very true, but at this point,it is pure speculation. If any saw is going, its the MS200T.(pure speculation on my part). I remember how everyone hated that saw when it was introduced. My my how opinions change. Same will hold true with the MS441. Refinement is the basic German engineering strategy. We will most likely see more chips used in fuel metering systems ig Ms280. They should have made that an option on a MS460.

Awww your talking about EPA credits there. The 4-mix has made Stihl alot of EPA credits so they can keep putting out the dirtier running standard 2-stroker. Come 2010 there will be no more EPA credits. Others words if it doesn't run clean it won't be sold in the USA. This info I'm relaying to you comes from Stihl themselves so I'm certain its not speculation but fact. The new 181,211,362 and on down the line will all be strat charged saws like the 441. They will replace the older 180,210 and 361. The whole line up is changing to strat charged engines to meet EPA regulations for 2010. Even the little handheld blowers like the new 56 and 86 are strat charge as well as the new low end trimmers.

Far as the talk about the 441 mine has been perfect from day one. The ones I've sold have yet to come back for any repairs cept one. I did have one in which the needle valve was leaking in the carb, fixed under warranty. Other than that one none have come back for anything. I can't buy the non-sense the dealer told the poster about this saw. If they were as he told the man I should be seeing them come back, I have not.

Awww your talking about EPA credits there. The 4-mix has made Stihl alot of EPA credits so they can keep putting out the dirtier running standard 2-stroker. Come 2010 there will be no more EPA credits. Others words if it doesn't run clean it won't be sold in the USA. This info I'm relaying to you comes from Stihl themselves so I'm certain its not speculation but fact. The new 181,211,362 and on down the line will all be strat charged saws like the 441. They will replace the older 180,210 and 361. The whole line up is changing to strat charged engines to meet EPA regulations for 2010. Even the little handheld blowers like the new 56 and 86 are strat charge as well as the new low end trimmers.

Far as the talk about the 441 mine has been perfect from day one. The ones I've sold have yet to come back for any repairs cept one. I did have one in which the needle valve was leaking in the carb, fixed under warranty. Other than that one none have come back for anything. I can't buy the non-sense the dealer told the poster about this saw. If they were as he told the man I should be seeing them come back, I have not.

Our customers have been very happy with them also. It is annoying to hear Stihl dealers beat-up the product. Makes you wonder.

Our customers have been very happy with them also. It is annoying to hear Stihl dealers beat-up the product. Makes you wonder.

No kidding. Hard to sell your own product if your telling your customers not to buy it. Oddly the 441 has had only one update since it came out, a new fuel hose. Outside of that far as I know the saw has been unchanged since day one..

So I have been on the prowl for a new firewood saw and have been looking at a lot of saws and asking questions of everyone that has ever touched a chainsaw, or so it seems. Anyway went into the Stihl dealer today to look over the 441 again. Didn't like the balance of it when I messed with it at another dealer, but this guy is close to home so figured what the heck.

Anyway his comment is something to the effect of I don't carry that POS and I wouldn't sell you one because you seem like a nice guy. He then went on to tell me he has a lot of trouble with it and doesn't like people coming back to him with problems and has dropped it from his inventory. I was wondering if anyone else has heard this also??

So he had me check out the 460 which is a lot of saw but he says is bullet proof.

So your Stihl dealer had problems with the 441, but recommends a Stihl 460.

I got a 044, 441,046/460 and a 372. In the cut there isn't enuff differance between the 4 to write home to moma about, they are that close. They all run like a 70cc range saw. How close is a 441 and a 046/460, have a look and see for yourself. BS is easy but cameras don't lie. Enjoy.

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l15/THALL10326/?action=view&current=hardwood.flv

Music is by Presley, sawing is by the King,LOL

Tommie, is it not possible that the 441 has problems in his neck of the woods? Or, perhaps he got a couple of lemons.

Tommmie, are you saying that because the 441 is new and it's technology will be tranferred to future saws, that the dealer can't grumble about it and offer a Stihl alternative?

S_86, if you had a problem with a Stihl product, or thought one more suitable than another, you wouldn't "spill the beans" on the product that wasn't as suitable to the task?

No kidding. Hard to sell your own product if your telling your customers not to buy it. Oddly the 441 has had only one update since it came out, a new fuel hose. Outside of that far as I know the saw has been unchanged since day one..

Tommie, this dealer did attempt to sell the MS460, no?

Toe the Stihl party line or else, eh? That's refreshing news for us Stihl customers.

Correct away if I'm not reading this properly,

joat

So your Stihl dealer had problems with the 441, but recommends a Stihl 460.

Tommie, is it not possible that the 441 has problems in his neck of the woods? Or, perhaps he got a couple of lemons.

Tommmie, are you saying that because the 441 is new and it's technology will be tranferred to future saws, that the dealer can't grumble about it and offer a Stihl alternative?

S_86, if you had a problem with a Stihl product, or thought one more suitable than another, you wouldn't "spill the beans" on the product that wasn't as suitable to the task?

Tommie, this dealer did attempt to sell the MS460, no?

Toe the Stihl party line or else, eh? That's refreshing news for us Stihl customers.

Correct away if I'm not reading this properly,

joat

To be quite honest Dr Joat I think the dealer sold what he had in stock at the time and to do so he told the buyer a bunch of BS. Thats my theroy and I'm sticking to it.,LOL

To be quite honest Dr Joat I think the dealer sold what he had in stock at the time and to do so he told the buyer a bunch of BS. Thats my theroy and I'm sticking to it.,LOL

Tommie,

You feel better now than you've come clean? Why didn't you say that in your earlier post?

Is a Stihl dealer "off the reservation" if he sells the Stihls in stock when an out of stock Stihl is more suitable?

Take 2 Midols and call me in the morning,

dr. joat

Tommie,

You feel better now than you've come clean? Why didn't you say that in your earlier post?

Is a Stihl dealer "off the reservation" if he sells the Stihls in stock when an out of stock Stihl is more suitable?

Take 2 Midols and call me in the morning,

dr. joat

Where're your credentials, "doctor?" :)

Back