What would you guys do? take a minute to read.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe25DA

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a bit of a dilema here. I have doing business with the same small repair shop for about 10 years. Its a small shop, pretty much a one man show. Hes fixed a lot of my stuff. Valve job on my 8/26 toro, lawnmower work. I bought my only new saw from him, my Dolmar PS540 and my Dolmar trimmer. He has given me 10-12 saws including my shelf queen 031 stihl. Ive sent him a lot of work as well.
2 incedents happened recently that are bothering me. First, my buddy from work dropped off an 025 that needed carb work. I didnt have the time back in march to look at it. He told my buddy it needed a new carb and hed have it in 2 weeks, everytime he would call it was another excuse. Finally my buddy got fed up and and wants it back. Hes now asking me about the saw and Im stuck in the middle. I called the shop and he didnt return my call.
Number 2.
This really got me. I got a nice dolmar trimmer in one of those big saw scores a while back. I cleaned it up and gave it to my dad as a backup. He uses it and likes it better than his FS75. Then it stalls when it gets hot. Again i didnt have time to look at it so he brought it to the shop. My dad gets pi$$ed cause hes had it a month and no word. My dad goes up and he tells him "blown engine, 60psi" and gives my dad prices on a new one. I hear about this and say bring it over. It sure feels like it has good compression I check, 130psi cold. We run it, after 20min it shuts down, compression....135. HMMMMMM. Now Im Pi$$eD!! I had a parts machine so we swapped the coil. 30 min using it in heavy brush, no stall, no problem.
He lied to my dad, either never looked at it or wanted a quick sale. My dad is all done with him. How can I trust this guy? He was always fair and generous with saws. What would you do?

go see him!

Ask the dude to his face, when no other customers are around, what the heck is going on? Did he get in trouble, loan sharks, divorce pending, what? Tell him just what you told us, he used to be fair and righteous, now acting a little squirrelly. Is he real old maybe, starting to get geezerheimerz? Maybe he got ill or his wife or something and got desperate for cash, who knows, but just have a non threatening heart to heart with him.

Because he is someone you have known for years. Some new to you dealer, I'd just stay away, Boycott, take business elsewhere.

Something has certainly changed about him?

Maybe he's had a stroke or something and can no longer follow through with a diagnosis and solution?

Many times, people will try to hide these unfortunate problems.

Find another service shop!

I guess it depends on how well you know the guy. If he's always been up front and fair with you, and he's had this all of a sudden turnaround, there's probably something going on behind the scenes. If he's a friend, you might ask him if something is wrong. If he's not, I'd suggest that whatever it is isn't your problem and you need to find someone else to do your repairs. Maybe he found out he's dying...maybe he's just burned out...there's a thousand different possibilities. JMHO.

Find out what's wrong with the guy. Like others said, he could be going through a bit of a tough time from one or several different problems either with him or elsewhere in his life.

Something tells me this guy wouldn't do something on purpose unless he was in dire straits...

In the end, you never know until you go talk to him, he may be dealing with problems, or he may be a stealing crook.

I am gonna go up there Saturday. Id go sooner but he closes at 4, when i getout of work. To answer some questions.
1. He's in his late 40's not old.
2. As far as I know hes healthy
3. He's an organized, responsable business man, at least always seemed to be.
A year or so ago his jackass kid got into some trouble (beat on his girlfriend) and he (the shop owner) had to bail him out. Now the kid works there, I try to avoid him. Any man who hits a woman is of no use to me.
But, even when this happened the guy was on the ball and not trying to pull a fast one.

I have no advice. Some shops operate in way that make you shake your head; it's especially strange that he would treat your dad that way.

For about six years my wife & I have done business with an independent guitar store, a father & son operation. They treat us fairly with good prices on repairs, set-ups, & free diagnosis a few times. With some other customers they will overprice repairs, refuse to deal on prices, & do other unethical "things" to make a buck.

My best guess is some shops will treat some customers well, then make up for it by ripping-off other customers.

Edit--I like the idea of talking to him in a non-confrontational way.

Last edited:
pretty simple... just dont go back
who cares how long youve been going.. he obviously doesnt care, why should you?

I appreciate the responses. Hes never been crooked before, thats why Im so bothered by this. I buy all my carb kits from him and many other parts. Like most of you i try to support the small shops.

What you have is nothing more than a business relationship, though it may seem that he is a friend. This feller is not blood related nor does he come to your house on Friday evening to eat fried chicken with your family.
But....
Due to the length of the history you have and the fact he has treated you well for years, he does deserve a chance to explain his actions. Maybe he had another similar trimmer there and got them confused? I have seen odder things happen before. Maybe he is behind on work and "threw" a story out there? He may look to be in good health but he could have a wife, child or parent that is deathly ill.

Last edited:
It all depends on how big he was, and how big he is now.
If he has hired a shop mgr, tech, etc., and he now is stuck at the counter and sales floor, he "has" to go on the info given to him.

He might have had a great mechanic before, and lost him, and now
have a moron.

Just talk to him, one on one, if someone in his shop is hurting his
business, he needs to know..

It all depends on how big he was, and how big he is now.
If he has hired a shop mgr, tech, etc., and he now is stuck at the counter and sales floor, he "has" to go on the info given to him.

He might have had a great mechanic before, and lost him, and now
have a moron.

Just talk to him, one on one, if someone in his shop is hurting his
business, he needs to know..

All good questions Fish.
The guy has no "showroom" he is the only one there. Occasionally his kid works there, but he has for a few years now. Hes been in business since '86 so its not his first busy spring.

Its all speculation till I talk to him staurday. I can understand if he was busy and didn't want to work on my stuff. But I caught him in a lie. He knows I work on these engines. Im insulted too! But thats beside the point.

I would go in there with a normal everyday attitude and say "yo man.....I think you might have confused 2 different pieces of equipment. I just tested this trimmer and it's good to go. Not a problem. Just an honest mistake. Luckily it was ME and not some a$$hole customer who would wrongly flip out."

Let him do the explaining. I highly recommend NOT walking in and asking him why there have been issues with his shop lately. Immediate defense. Relationship ruined. Play dumb on your part and that'll keep his wall down. If he wants to give you his sob story, he just may do so. If he's like alot of us guys, he probably keeps business and personal separate. I personally wouldn't cry to a customer in apology. If I were this guy, I would go along with your story and just make it right, realizing I tried to work-over the wrong customer. "Oh man, sorry about that. Let me fix that up for you and your next carb kit is on the house." Perhaps something like that. And don't even bring up the story about the 025 for now. Stick with your pop for now because you were "just looking into possibly parting out the remains of your old man's trimmer or something since it was shot".

Moral: You just plant the seed. Let him water it and sun it till it tuns into a story you can both live with.

All good suggestions here. Perhaps his son did the diagnosis and only passed along his BS findings. Sure bothers one to think a guy who has been in the past a straight shooter, suddenly has changed his ways. Sure hope that's not the case. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back