what would your heating bill be if

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heating bills costs if not burning wood

• 100-150

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • 150-200

Votes: 21 9.4%
  • 200-250

Votes: 31 13.8%
  • 250-300

Votes: 40 17.9%
  • 300+

Votes: 125 55.8%

• Total voters
just a comment about this thread and all the replys. IT IS WORTH ALL THE HARD WORK TO BURN FIREWOOD FOR HEAT. plus it is fun and a good stress reliever:D:D

That fort behind the tractor in my avatar was my high tech experiment and has two nat gas furnaces, two HE 50 gallon hot water tanks, commercial stove and gas dryer, we never keep it below 74 degrees and balance budget billing is $132/mo. In Feb I will be adding a wood burner to the basement in hopes of further trimming the bills. We are heating 6,231 SF, including the basement. The bad news is the building cost was about 20% higher than a regular house.

I'd take bout a $6000 hit without the outdoor boiler wood heat, the $1200 I got in my 16 full cord of wood makes me all warm and fuzzy feelin :clap:

Great posts guys and gals...it is clear that no matter what climate you live,what type of wood burner ie...stove,OWB or furnace... burning wood puts us in a comfortable place both for heat and the cost of it.

This thread is proof that solid fuel is an investment and the pay offs can be huge done right!

Great posts guys and gals...it is clear that no matter what climate you live,what type of wood burner ie...stove,OWB or furnace... burning wood puts us in a comfortable place both for heat and the cost of it.

This thread is proof that solid fuel is an investment and the pay offs can be huge done right!

:agree2::agree2::agree2:

Oil f/a previously (now backup)

4 fills / season

$2.80(?)/gallon

250 gallon tank =/$2,800 per heating season

woodstove cost + install in 2/10 = $4,800

30% tax credit on stove = - $1,440

net = $3,360

$3,360 equals 4.8 oil fills

We are already down 2 oil fills so should have the stove cost recouped by March 2011 - unless oil costs rise over $2.80/gallon in which payoff would be sooner. We already had the wood hauling trailer, splitter, etc. before the woodstove.

We else can you get an investment that will pay for itself in just over one year? ! ! :)

Shari

first year in a brand new, (all-electric) house we built (before the stove), we kept house @ 69°F & had elec bills of $300-$350.

Now 3 years later we've had a significant elec rate increase, have the OWB and keep the house at 73-74°F $140-$150.

Our house was built in 1890 and then an addition in 1980. If I was using the propane we would go through a 500 gal tank a month! I haven't turned on the propane furnace yet this winter! Windows will need to be replaced. Currently the propane is used to heat our water.

The house varies around 63° to 77°. Depending on how diligent I an with keeping wood in the stove.

The stove was a gift from my brother. The saws in my profile I don't have more than $300.00 in them all. I find people around my area that have dead standing trees. I have a 1 ton 85 Dodge pickup for the hauling and snow plowing which I have less than $1500.00 in. I have friends that will help me with wood cutting. (I tell them that it's playing in the woods.)

Now, if I can just get my head in the game! I'm fighting anxiety attacks and depression. Some days there isn't a whole lot that can get me off of the couch!

I would say that heating with wood I'm saving a bit.

We heat about 4,000 square feet. All electric and on the budget for $107 per month. I work for a large electric utility company and get a 20% discount and I have not used my electric heat--- ever! The wood stove keeps us nice & toasty warm and keeps me in shape. A win-win! Plus---it makes my wife happy!!!!!

I HAVE AN OIL FURNACE AS WELL AS a WOOD FURNACE in the basement plus an airtight insert upstairs in the living room. The house is around 60 years old and not very airtight. I burn a tank of oil a year mostly just heating our hot water during the months we aren't burning wood. I would say I would be using 3 to 4 tanks of oil at about $800.00 a crack if I were not burning wood. I burn 6-8 cords a year but it's hard to put an exact dollar figure on the wood as I bought some and cut some and scrounged some more plus the wood I cut in the backyard??:confused::confused::confused:

i used to spend around 2500 per winter to heat my 2,000 sq ft split level
that was when rates were cheaper ...the last few years i have spent zero in fuel oil or propane once my addon Englander wood furnace was installed .
Christmas is so much nicer $$ for our family and we are much warmer and more comfortable in those frigid months,even with my expensive triple wall pipe and total furnace cost i still broke even the first year and now enjoying the benefits from here on in without monthly worries of how im going to come up with 400 bucks in 30 days for the fuel company only to make Ahab the arab rich

Last edited:
When I was using natural gas I was paying about $400 a month to heat a very drafty 1600 sq foot place about 5 years ago. In the first few years with the woodstove I had regulation issues with the stove and the temp ran between 65 and 97 degrees. Now that I got it figured out the house stays around 72 which is warmer than the house ever was with natural gas.

I live in a farm house built in 1930 around 1450 sq. ft. I remolded and reinsulated the house 5 years ago and put in electric base board heat, (mistake). It would cost me between $3500 and $4000 for a whole year for my electric bill. Burning my wood stove brings my electric bill down to about $2200 per year. After adding the cost of my old stove, the new stove I just replaced it with, log splitter and saws, cost about $4000. I figure it has already paid for itself a couple of times. The advantages far outway the disadvantages, I like cutting wood, good exercise, saves money, and the heat is much warmer. Overall I love it and so does the wife. There should be even more savings with the new stove.:hmm3grin2orange: I went today and bought another Buck Stove for my parents, to replace their old stove, my sisters and myself will be giving it to them as an anniversary present, this will really help them on their heating bill also. More wood to cut but that's ok.:laugh:

November 2009 our electric bill was 360 bucks. December 2009 we put in a wood stove and it droped a little, but not much. I was a wood scrounger cause I had nothing and was burning wet, doaty, half green, whatever I could find to make some btus.

I was prepared this year though, got 8 cords of white and red oak,cherry,sugar maple, shag hickory, and some other junk.....and the power bill this november was 80 bucks. :clap: :clap:...and Ill have wood left over for next year.

So I figure Ive saved enough to almost pay for the heater, new saws, and, you get point. Atleast the power company isnt benifiting from it. :D

My furnace, hot water and cooking are on Propane. If I had to heat all year on Propane, in NH next to a lake. I couldn't afford it.

Latest posts

Back