whats everyone burning right now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autoimage

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
weather is weird right now first unseasonably cold now warm. im burning plum and crabapple something you dont come across too often

Wood...Burning some walnut, ash and linden right now. I save the fruit woods for the colder weather, burns a little slower and decent BTU's

Jeff

Ash, Red Oak, Maple and Hickory - all storm damage cut here on the farm. Two year supply seasoned and stacked. Working on year three now but so far only Ash and White Oak.

Tonight we are using workshop scraps mixed with London plane(sycamore) to you guys in the US

Absolutely nothing it was 75 today and I was sweating

Same here! to hot to burn during the day. Looks like we are in store for another winter like last year:frown: it's been in the 60's here and upper 40's at night. Not much need for alot of heat maybe just first thing in the morning. Then it's red oak and white oak w/ a little wild cherry.

95% Ash thanks to the EAB killing them all.
The other 5% is either Elm or Oak or Hackberry.

I have had a fire going almost 24/7 in the wood stove since the end of October.

Pissing down rain and blowing here; Alder is burning nicely in the fire place :msp_thumbup:

It ain't real cold yet here so I'm still working on my pile of ain't gonna miss it Popular and Quaking Aspen.

Mix of junk I drag home from jobs; mostly limbwood, a little splitting; burned all this in the last week or so:

Siberian elm (actually, from the ice storm last Jan. and from my own roof!)

Silver maple (same ice storm, job at the Middle School that took a week)

Ponderosa pine limb wood -- tried to save a 4 ft. pine last fall from bark beetles by pruning out infested limbs -- chipped the infested ones, kept the old dead.

Odd bits of plywood -- just cut up some old scraps I could no longer convince my wife I would use after 10 years.

Doug-fir limb wood

rotten old plum tree

Dead fir limbs and beetle-killed pine in the pipeline. Sometimes I burn pallets (if I smash them on a job dropping chunks)

Just heat my shop/office converted from a 2-car garage that was a greasy shell: windows, insulation, lowered ceiling, glass slider on the office side, with a wall down the middle and a wooden pocket door. I just open the pocket door and fire up the stove in the shop. Typically burn a small armload at a time and let it die down, or I have to open the windows! Maybe three small armloads in 12 hrs on a mod. cold day. Pellet stove in the house.

Free wood that I am getting paid to take away works for me!:msp_tongue:

Im burning up all the "uglies", and have yet to get to the nice ranked stuff. Mostly ash, hard and soft maples, black cherry, elm, oaks, beech, sassafras, and hickorys. Ive cleaned my flu only once so far this season and find im still sleeping with the bedroom window open at night. :biggrin:
Winters sure aren't what they used to be here in central Pa.

Other Than farts

Of course this is my first burning year but I have

2 cords solid dry Red Oak.
1/2 cord half rotten and spongy red oak
1 cord white oak
2 cords hickory (ready next year)

Only fire the OWB once a day in the afternoon. Fill it 2/3 full of silver maple and top it off with 1/3 load of ash. With the way the temps have been in Iowa recently this will still have coals in the morning so still throwing a little heat. Burns out and then reload and relight again in the afternoon. Need a little colder temps to run it 24/7.

Back