Whats going on with Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard Stihl USA was waiting for mufflers for I think 291 series and supplier for mufflers backlogged, so they build the saws, boxed them and stuck them in a corner and waiting for mufflers to come in. Also told there is a shortage of containers which is also causing delays in shipping and getting goods out of factory

I worked in automotive component manufacturing for a while. What I eventually decided about JIT is that it forces any problems into the open view.
Like on a manufacturing line. Max throughput is the speed of the slowest process or person. It is intentional to create crises so things must be fixed.
There are other reasons like minimizing loss through faulty manufacturing and lower capital outlay.

Most of our Ace Hardware's are Stihl dealers. When the one close to me opened the Southern States 5-6 doors down was already a Stihl dealer so they wouldn't let the Ace have a dealership. So, they went Echo. A month or so back I went in Ace and all the Echo stuff was GONE, and replaced with Stihl. Both stores shelves were loaded, but I didn't pay attention to what they were loaded with. I'm sure it's mostly home owner stuff. I tried to buy a 660 from Southern States 10+ years ago. I asked if he'd give me a deal for cash. he said, NO, he didn't stock them and if he ordered it he would have to charge MSRP. I went to and Ace 15 miles away and he gave me over $300 off. I'll stick my head in the door to my local Ace and see what they have?

Around here Husqy is bare on shelves, all products, parts are available, but sometimes have to waitfor a short back order. I've had a box of files on order for a month with no sight yet.

Have heard from others that the Stihl dealers here are also in short supply.

This is the time to buy a pack of saws and have them sitting in case of continued, future backlogs.

Around here Husqy is bare on shelves, all products, parts are available, but sometimes have to waitfor a short back order. I've had a box of files on order for a month with no sight yet.

Have heard from others that the Stihl dealers here are also in short supply.

This is the time to buy a pack of saws and have them sitting in case of continued, future backlogs.
Prob not the time now its past that . They will come out soon I guess.

My shop cant keep enough ms 250s in stock even though they are $370. Forget 271 or 291, 500, 391. I have had bg50 blowers on back order since January. I get about 1/3 of my order that i call a wish list anymore. Sucks.

Most of our Ace Hardware's are Stihl dealers. When the one close to me opened the Southern States 5-6 doors down was already a Stihl dealer so they wouldn't let the Ace have a dealership. So, they went Echo. A month or so back I went in Ace and all the Echo stuff was GONE, and replaced with Stihl. Both stores shelves were loaded, but I didn't pay attention to what they were loaded with. I'm sure it's mostly home owner stuff. I tried to buy a 660 from Southern States 10+ years ago. I asked if he'd give me a deal for cash. he said, NO, he didn't stock them and if he ordered it he would have to charge MSRP. I went to and Ace 15 miles away and he gave me over $300 off. I'll stick my head in the door to my local Ace and see what they have?
Southern States still there? They are all gone around here.

Feb ice storm cleaned out everyone around here, my dealer pretty much was wiped out for a week, then my dealer received 12 saws after the storm and clean up process had started which they were gone by the end of that day.
Early March dealer's shelves were filled back up pretty good, but the 170's, 271's, and 291's have been flying off their shelf.
I was in there yesterday, shelves had a saw in each location and some spares on the top of the display "which I did not see what spares they were" except for the 261 and 462, but they still had (2) 362, (1) 461, (1) 661 in stock.
They do not have a allocated spot for the 400 yet, but they received two 400's Thursday, which one is now residing here with me.

Its mostly demand. Stihl USA has gone 24x7, and they are adding production lines. Each month they ship a record number of products, and each month they fall behind farther....It's not gonna clear up for a while....

Its mostly demand. Stihl USA has gone 24x7, and they are adding production lines. Each month they ship a record number of products, and each month they fall behind farther....It's not gonna clear up for a while....
True. Talked with my territory manager today and that's pretty much the story: Demand.

Latest posts

Back