What's on your bench? 08-29-2013

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have a stainless Ruger Mark II Target slab side:rock:

DPP_0024-M.jpg

Hey Brad I have the same. I used to shoot in a Bullseye pistol league years ago. I put a Volquartsen trigger kit in it and its an awesome gun! I had a custom grip on it but my had was the only one that would fit in it so I switched back to the stock grip.
3yrydy6u.jpg

Last edited:
Hunting

Hunting's been on my bench. Here's my sons Arizona elk. 6x7 350 bull. Took ten years to draw the tag. Was a short but great hunt. Was with him the whole time. Shot 20yds. 7:30 opening morning, skinned, quartered, and to the truck at 3:30. I made 3 packs and Aaron made 4. A little sore but not to bad considering the pack straight up that hill.

Last edited:
We both shot black tail forked horns a couple weeks earlier in northern California. Didn't draw an X zone tag this year, so no mule deer. His was better than mine but I was just happy to get one. Only the 2nd deer taken with a bow for me.

Arizona is awesome for elk, but hard to draw. Also got to see and hear 2 other bulls fighting when we were starting to skin this one. They came in running and squealing right where we were when he shot this bull. Banged horns for a while and then ran off.

6x7.....350 something net

Last edited:
I rebuilt a really nice full-wrap 2171 last night. In it's previous life it was a rescue saw. The big end rod bearing was out of it. Fortunately, the cylinder wasn't hurt. I replaced the crank with a nice OEM one, new metal caged Nachi crank bearings, Meteor single ring piston, OEM crank seals, OEM carb kit, fuel line, impulse line, pull rope and handle, and spark plug. Fired right up and runs great. I plan on pulling the cylinder back off and reducing the squish from the .03x" it's currently at. I also need to paint the muffler and handle. Not bad for an evening's work:) It'll be sold when I'm done with it.

IMG_20130917_231400_454-L.jpg

IMG_20130917_231436_447-L.jpg

IMG_20130917_231512_826-L.jpg

What's really on my bench!

This is what's really on my bench.....

Plenty of fun and horsepower coming......maybe even some more World Records.....Oh Yeah!......Hahahahahaha!

This is what's really on my bench.....

Plenty of fun and horsepower coming......maybe even some more World Records.....Oh Yeah!......Hahahahahaha!

cr 250 cases with trx jugs ? guess don't need the extra weight and bulk of the counterbalancer on a saw

Couldn't help myself I started early and the race season isn't over

:msp_thumbup:

Well, also on the bench over the weekend was...

The 7hp Sea King...

A Clinton engine, but I wonder if it isn't a Tecumseh design or something. Parts are getting hard to find, so I'd love to be able to cross reference it.

It pushes the 12' boat its attached to pretty well... :msp_sneaky:

HPIM0594_zpsb161bf84.jpg

HPIM0595_zps0386a542.jpg

Anyway, I had it out, and the carb was pouring gas out of it, figured the float had stuck. Off came the carb...

Walbro LMB carb, parts getting hard to find for it also...

Picture385_zps8102abe4.jpg

Bowl off...

Picture388_zps94719b2c.jpg

Picture389_zps44878651.jpg

Got it cleaned and back together, priming it shows no leaks now, and it holds pressure.

Am planning on trying it out this Friday.... :)

Go to this site, AOMCI, if there is a part available, these guys can tell you where to get it. I've been a member four several years. IO tried to post the link but didn't do well

A couple of my own saws finally made it to the bench tonight, in preparation for Wigg's GTG. All I got done was taking the chains off and counting the DLs. I haven't touched my saws in a few months. Hopefully some of them will start:D This is going to be a run what you brung deal for me.

Since I finally got my 181 finished and off the bench, I decided to finish up a very long standing project. The condensed version is this started as a 4 5/8" old model blackhawk about 15 years ago with unmolested trigger group that simply wouldn't shoot for poop. Turns out the barrel had a severe case of thread choke. I tried lapping out the choke but it was pretty tight. Also an inspection of the gun showed that the cylinder had 0.005” endshake, the front of the cylinder only bore against the frame at about 7-11 oclock, the cylinder pin was 0.002” undersize, and the barrel gap was 0.006” Overall just a sloppy gun. For years I contemplated sending it off to a smith to have it rebuilt but just didn’t want to do so as I figured with my small lathe I could do the work myself but put it off as I didn’t want to mess up the gun.

Well finally I tired of the wait, found a takeoff 6 ½” barrel on gun broker for $50 and set to correcting the gun. I made up a lap to cut the front of the frame perpendicular to the bore of the cylinder pin. I polished up the back of the frame as well. I bored out the front of the cylinder and pressed in a hardened 0.250” id drill bushing, installed a Belt Mountain pin and set the end gap for ½ rch. The take off barrel had a slight choke so I cut a Taylor throat with a 0.358” reamer. I set the barrel cylinder gap at 1 rch. I also d/t’d the frame for an overtravel screw. I did load work with a scope, but I consider a scoped revolver as a range toy, not a working gun.

Today was as good a day as any to ditch the scope and zero the irons and see if I can shoot an iron sighted gun worth a hoot. I had a variety of loads, 105 gr lee plinkers, 148gr wadcutters, and a variety of 160gr hps over both medium loads of unique and full patch H-110 loads. After a few sessions of having the wind blow over the target base as soon as the firing line went hot, and determining the gun was shooting way high by shooting at rocks at the 50 yd berm I was close enough to settle down and see what the gun would do. The 105 gr lee loads were grouping around 2” and 4” low at 25, the 148 gr wadcutter loads were making ragged hole groups with a flyer opening it up to 1” but only an inch low, and the full patch 160gr loads were about 1 ½” and no more than an inch high at 25 yds.

I think that'll work! Yeah, rubber grips are ugly and double so on a single action, but they allow me to shoot the gun to it's potential I even managed to hit a golf ball at the 50yd berm, ok only one shot out of 5 but not too shabby.

1013122_10201954961256862_2015715109_n.jpg

When I get the 288 I'll get back on topic and hang some pics.

Back