What's On Your Bench? 2/15/13

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy, while your sweating out the poisons of this world, I'll be sweating over my Dad's old timber falling saw that I just got a couple of weeks ago. It's a super xl 925 that he bought new in Colorado about '72 or '73. I just got all of the parts I need to restore it to its former glory.

Randy, while your sweating out the poisons of this world, I'll be sweating over my Dad's old timber falling saw that I just got a couple of weeks ago. It's a super xl 925 that he bought new in Colorado about '72 or '73. I just got all of the parts I need to restore it to its former glory.

We've got a nice 925 that we have no time to finish....... :msp_unsure:

I've gotta get to putting a new piston/rings and a crank seals in my SXL-925W. Great saws. Got about 4-5 saws ahead of it in 'line' however...

We've got a nice 925 that we have no time to finish....... :msp_unsure:

You sir need to MAKE time to get that one done.

Four 372's to mod. Occupied right now by my new (very old) lathe. 1947 Southbend 9" with 4ft bed. Taper attachment, every bell and whistle you can think of. You Americans made beautiful equipment in 1947, every movement and control is smoother than glass. So stoked that I gave my King 10"x 22" gearhead lathe to a friend. No disrespect to Chinese equipment but,......ok sorry yes,...it is junk compared to an old Southbend. :)

Last edited:
A new addition to the Ranger....

Plate for the rusted spring hanger.
Picture379_zps0e1ddb4f.jpg

Had to get a shot with the IR air grinder. Someone threw that thing in the junk, buddy got it for me, so it was a freebie along with a sander and a drill. Only thing I could find was wrong with it was the gear nut had come loose. Took it all apart, cleaned it up and runs great, cept or the compressor has no chance to keep up with it.

Why would you throw it away over a loose nut... :confused:

You pretty much nailed it.

At my age I wasn't going to go out and buy any fancy equipment to weld what little I would have to weld, I was just interested in the process and thought others might be too. I really didn't mean for you to make a video, just a few pics along with a description of the process. I usually weld all I need to with my little Hobart AC/DC but I haven't welded anything for over a year..I'm sorta easing into retirement..

Last edited:
Four 372's to mod. Occupied right now by my new (very old) lathe. 1947 Southbend 9" with 4ft bed. Taper attachment, every bell and whistle you can think of. You Americans made beautiful equipment in 1947, every movement and control is smoother than glass. So stoked that I gave my King 10"x 22" gearhead lathe to a friend. No disrespect to Chinese equipment but,......ok sorry yes,...it is junk compared to an old Southbend. :)

I agree with you %100 in my book old is better come equipment if it was taken care of. A few months back I picked up a very nice 1946 Logan 10"x24" lathe and love it. A little small for some but perfect for me.

1. Craftsman 3.7 Roper built
2. Homelite SEZA
3. homelite EZA
4. 2 - Olympyk 264F
Others waiting their turns. Don't know what's the deal with me. Always tell myself to not open more saws before I finish some up but I never pay attention to myself. Oh yeah got a magnalite sauce pan gotta make a handle for

Here is a 1925 Southbend. 1925 Southbend Metal Lathe
Looks like they must last for ever.

My Husky 365 that dies when you point it nose down in about 2 seconds.

Craftsman 55cc that starts well, idles well, no change in RPM'S with saw in any position.

I know, needs pressure/vac test but does this symptom seem to indicate anything particular to anyone?

Cuts good 1st cut, 2nd cut boggs a little and by 3rd cut tries to die unless you give it 30 seconds then rinse and repeat. Runs great WOT?

Low side jet clogged?

Sent from my iPhone using My Fingers

My Husky 365 that dies when you point it nose down in about 2 seconds.

Craftsman 55cc that starts well, idles well, no change in RPM'S with saw in any position.

I know, needs pressure/vac test but does this symptom seem to indicate anything particular to anyone?

Cuts good 1st cut, 2nd cut boggs a little and by 3rd cut tries to die unless you give it 30 seconds then rinse and repeat. Runs great WOT?

Low side jet clogged?

Sent from my iPhone using My Fingers

Did you try and just richen up the low side?

Husky might have the filter hung up in the tank.

Did you try and just richen up the low side?

Husky might have the filter hung up in the tank.

I will try to richen up the low side a little more on the Craftsman. When I got it to work on both hi and low adj were all the way rich up to the limiters. I will most likely remove the limiters also.

On my Husky I think th filter is okay. I has a little bit of a wandering idle until it's warmed up. Like I said warm or cold likes to die pointed nose down. I will double check the filter but not sure that's it. If it was an air leak what area might that indicate?

I will try to richen up the low side a little more on the Craftsman. When I got it to work on both hi and low adj were all the way rich up to the limiters. I will most likely remove the limiters also.

On my Husky I think th filter is okay. I has a little bit of a wandering idle until it's warmed up. Like I said warm or cold likes to die pointed nose down. I will double check the filter but not sure that's it. If it was an air leak what area might that indicate?

Yeah, take those limiters out. Its probably just starving for fuel.

I'm not really a husky guy. Does it die if you turn it on its side?

First thing I'd look at would be fuel and impulse lines. Most likely fuel. Pinhole prob.

Latest posts

Back