What's on your workbench4/7/12

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO....that doesn't look like running with out any oil....Looks like it 'ate' something. The alum isn't melted/smeared....it looks like the metal was displaced by something.

Any marks on top of the piston?

Was the air filter intact?

How about the muffler...could anything have gotten in/through it into the cylinder?

How about the crank bearings? Are they in good shape?

it was straight gas. the tank was full of it.:)
everything else was in perfect working order.
all it takes is a moment. he shut it down right after he threw the chain. the nice big smear of alloy on the cylinder took me a half hour to remove. no gouges which is good. the cylinder would be on back order if i needed it.

it was straight gas. the tank was full of it.:)
everything else was in perfect working order.
all it takes is a moment. he shut it down right after he threw the chain. the nice big smear of alloy on the cylinder took me a half hour to remove. no gouges which is good. the cylinder would be on back order if i needed it.

Okay....then......now that is my one time to be wrong today!

Could/did fool me! The proof is in the tank.

What is a rifle, pistol, loading press doing with the shot gun? Anyway for the smooth-bore nice pair.Do you reload shot shells? I do and use Blue dot powder, federal primers, Remington wads, and an ounce of number 6 shot. Comes out of my Remington 1100 at 1190 fps.20 gauge!Reloaded shot shells are much better and cheaper than the stuff off the shelf, JMO Ken

Buy the way, I use a MEC 600 Jr.

Okay....then......now that is my one time to be wrong today!

Could/did fool me! The proof is in the tank.

i get 1 or 2 a month with a full tank o straight:msp_rolleyes:
even have an older gentleman that swears by tranny fluid. he runs a couple of saws on it and doesn't seem to have any problems at all.
all those saws need when they come in is a blowing out and a chain sharpening, insides look great. he cuts (although he is slowing down now) anywhere from 12-15 full cord of wood a year for the famdamly with a couple of old poulans:dizzy: runs it in everythig he has thats 2stroke, and never a problem. of course, nothing he has is newer than the '70's:clap:

i get 1 or 2 a month with a full tank o straight:msp_rolleyes:
even have an older gentleman that swears by tranny fluid. he runs a couple of saws on it and doesn't seem to have any problems at all.
all those saws need when they come in is a blowing out and a chain sharpening, insides look great. he cuts (although he is slowing down now) anywhere from 12-15 full cord of wood a year for the famdamly with a couple of old poulans:dizzy: runs it in everythig he has thats 2stroke, and never a problem. of course, nothing he has is newer than the '70's:clap:

WoW! What does that smell like when it's burned? Well, at one time 30w crankcase oil was the thing. Tranny fluid is a great lubricant!

I have a Husky 272XP project that I am needing parts for, Husky 340 needing a good cleaning/parts, I also have a Husky 142 that just got as bath, but now needs put back together, need to clean the big Huskys going, out next weekend to get the final load of the season.

WoW! What does that smell like when it's burned? Well, at one time 30w crankcase oil was the thing. Tranny fluid is a great lubricant!

it smells like tranny fluid:laugh: you really need to smell it to see what i mean:D i thought of trying it out for a day on a newer saw to see what happens, just feel guilty of taking a perfectly good saw and trying to ruin it:yoyo:

it smells like tranny fluid:laugh: you really need to smell it to see what i mean:D i thought of trying it out for a day on a newer saw to see what happens, just feel guilty of taking a perfectly good saw and trying to ruin it:yoyo:

Yes....I had briefly thought of doing that too!

OH....talk about trying something on a 'perfectly good saw'. I think it would be an interesting experiment to run a two stroke on pure starting fluid. Be sure to get a can marked with 'upper cylinder lubricant. Pull it down and check it out after the fluid treatment.

Anyone out there with a 'disposable' two stroke? :hmm3grin2orange: that would want to try this and post the results?

This thought came to me because of the AS general rule not to use starting fluid on a two stroke.

Yes....I had briefly thought of doing that too!

OH....talk about trying something on a 'perfectly good saw'. I think it would be an interesting experiment to run a two stroke on pure starting fluid. Be sure to get a can marked with 'upper cylinder lubricant. Pull it down and check it out after the fluid treatment.

Anyone out there with a 'disposable' two stroke? :hmm3grin2orange: that would want to try this and post the results?

This thought came to me because of the AS general rule not to use starting fluid on a two stroke.

should be enough woodsharts out there to tinker with:hmm3grin2orange:

I have a 385xp waiting on a case gasket, MS660 waiting on a piston and cylinder and a 1130G waiting for a coil...

homelitejim

Photo0309.jpg

[video=youtube;bhPNc22gwm8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhPNc22gwm8[/video]
I put this saw together from 3 different saws I picked up at the scrap heap, a 801, 80, and a 621.

It was the only bar that wasn't already attached to a saw.:laugh:

looks like the bar is in good shape! i've used all sorts of different bars on various saws. if the bar bolts fit in the slot, even with a bit of play, it helps try the saw out if nothing else is around.:msp_smile:

jonselite, or is it homered:laugh:

My McCulloch PM800. Needs a front lower AV rubber mount. I can't find the correct one anywhere! Ebay only has the one that doesn't have the metal bushing inside. I might have to make one!

My Jonsered 830 is just getting broken in after a piston/ring replacement! Compression is coming up! I should put the gauge on it and see what it's blowing!

looks like the bar is in good shape! i've used all sorts of different bars on various saws. if the bar bolts fit in the slot, even with a bit of play, it helps try the saw out if nothing else is around.:msp_smile:

jonselite, or is it homered:laugh:

I've got a Homelite bar on my Makita 520i!

Back