What's the best 50cc saw deal these days?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Reaction score
Two friends are needing small saws, around 50cc. Typical homeowner/farmer sort of use. Typical tight-arsed Kiwi budget - looking for cheap as. I noticed Husqvarana 455's were on sale a few days ago. Maruyama used to have some cheap deals on Amazon but that's gone.

What would you suggest please? Needing two. At least.

Thanks.

I use ebay as the benchmark.
Try ebay.com rather than ebay.com.nz.
Sort by cheapest plus shipping, ebay do a whole sale shipping thing (can’t remember what it’s called) where any vendors get cheap shipping.

If there were 5105/5100's close to the 490 price it would be a no-brainer. At this stage, the 490's are top of the list.

When in I use ebay as the benchmark.
Try ebay.com rather than ebay.com.nz.
Sort by cheapest plus shipping, ebay do a whole sale shipping thing (can’t remember what it’s called) where any vendors get cheap shipping.
Yeah mate, .com always. Even route through a USA proxy to see what sort of filters various USA sites put on us 'aliens'. The whole sale shipping thing sounds interesting. If you mean their 'global shipping program', I've found it can often work out dearer that way.

Two friends are needing small saws, around 50cc. Typical homeowner/farmer sort of use. Typical tight-arsed Kiwi budget - looking for cheap as. I noticed Husqvarana 455's were on sale a few days ago. Maruyama used to have some cheap deals on Amazon but that's gone.

Thanks.
Echo cs490. Cuts right along with the Sthil 026 and CHEAPER.

good clean used saws Dolmar 5105, 510/Makita 5000, 5101; Husky 353, Jonsered 2152,........................................................Echo CS400, 490

or Echo CS590 possibly, depending on Kiwi Echo prices.

suggestions...

I got the 490 because mag case and really light weight for the money. And I needed it for my "big saw". Also, it was a deal too good to pass up.

Seems to have a nice wide torky powerband even though it's low on top end power.

Probably have a little more zip if I wasn't running the 20" bar and chain. But then it wouldn't reach through stumps as easy.

And I'm not so sure it'd beat a comparably priced low 40cc, like my Dolmar 421, for pure utility, without that 20" bar.

So unless they need a 20" bar and chain on occasion, maybe a better "small saw" might be in the 42-ish cc range.

Thanks.
Stihl MS 261 is a great saw

I have ‘t cut anything with it yet, but I was able to pick up a new CS-490 for $250 shipped on eBay last week. I was able to do a muffler mod and pull the limiters in about 15 minutes. Sounded good when I re-tuned it. Now I’m just waiting for the new bar and chain to get here to test it out.

I have ‘t cut anything with it yet, but I was able to pick up a new CS-490 for $250 shipped on eBay last week. I was able to do a muffler mod and pull the limiters in about 15 minutes. Sounded good when I re-tuned it. Now I’m just waiting for the new bar and chain to get here to test it out.

The cs490 cuts every bit as good as the Sthil 026. Mine came with a good bar 20 inch and pulls it well with the muffler stock. I've not changed anything on mine and love it. It's a professional saw. Has a Rim drive and doesn't have a primer bulb or decompression button. Those two things can become leaks. Run it with the Echo bar and see if you like it.

The cs490 cuts every bit as good as the Sthil 026. Mine came with a good bar 20 inch and pulls it well with the muffler stock. I've not changed anything on mine and love it. It's a professional saw. Has a Rim drive and doesn't have a primer bulb or decompression button. Those two things can become leaks. Run it with the Echo bar and see if you like it.
Good to hear. I have a bigger saw with a 20", which is what this one came with. I ordered an Oregon 18" narrow kerf bar and chain that will be the primary for it and a 16" .325 for backup.

I tried all 3 optional bars for the 490
"16-18-20" and preferred the 18 with chipper.
I've run 90% Husqvarna over many years and still plan to but can't beat the Echo 490 for the money nor the 590.

Not sure if you’re interested in used saws, but I’ve noticed lately on eBay some old school 55 husqvarnas (mid to late 90s vintage) in excellent condition as described, and very reasonable prices.
You’d be hard pressed to find a better, more reliable saw in that 50 cc range, and the ones from that era will probably still be running when a lot of these newer saws have been laid to rest.

I tried all 3 optional bars for the 490
"16-18-20" and preferred the 18 with chipper.
I've run 90% Husqvarna over many years and still plan to but can't beat the Echo 490 for the money nor the 590.
FULLY AGREE. In fact I have a cs352 with 16 inch bar and a Sthil 029 with 24 so I kept the 20 on the 490. For my needs the small difference in the cut wasn't worth changing the bars. I like the Echo bar that came on my 490 because it's wide enough to be pinched less while liming. My 026 Sthil hardly ever pinches and I think the wide middle section and wider bar tip help. My Echo bar looks a lot like the bar on the Sthil 026. They cut a lot alike except the Echo runs and starts better. Also I never use the low grade ethonal. I mix high octane pure gas with 3.2 ounces of gas. I NEVER let a saw just set up. I run every saw, every piece of equipment at least once a month including my generator. Taking care of equipment is important. How many people let a lawn mower sit all winter then complain because it's ruined.

I’m in the same boat shopping for a good all around 50cc saw for cutting firewood. I keep coming back to the CS-490. Seems like the best deal in this class. I also like the CS-501p but it’s more $$$. How does the 490 compare to a husky 450? Or the Stihl Ms250?

Back